GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar Talk

socks

Ok... I don't have much to say about this video...It's just COOL... with all caps... (besides the fact that I have real live pics of Derek and John that i took in my arsenal... :B) I think they were posted here a few years back... DEREK was Eric Clapton's lead guitarist when I saw him perform... again... NO WORDS...enjoy

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK... sad sad sad day today in the music world....

Jeff Healy has passed away at the age of 41... battling cancer.

sigh.. i can't even speak.

I used to go and see him in Toronto with this Jazz band called the Jazz Wizards....

OH my... he will be so sadly missed.

don't even have the strength to post a video..

:cryhug_1_:

Edited by A la prochaine

I must confess, I had no idea he was so skilled on the trumpet.

His attack is "dead on confident" in a way that mimics Satchmo.

Great tone. Very meaty. I love his use of end shakes.

This particular style of jazz is rapidly disappearing from the scene.

Such an unfortunate loss.

Waysider,You are such a connaisseur of the trompette... wow...I don't know much about the instrument but this I do know...that when he got up and played...it was sheer delight.thanks for reading my posts waysider.... it's nice to know you listened to the links.OH and I must add.... this is just ONE side of his playing style.One of the last times I went out to see him, he sang and played the ole' standard Autumn Leaves... it was unbelievably heartfelt! Here's ole' blue eyes... the master of phrasing

Edited by A la prochaine

Hi there, A laHere's one you might enjoy.It's Paul Butterfield at Woodstock(1969)If you look closely, you can spot a young kid in the sax section named David Sanborn. Ever heard of him? :wink2: And oh yeah----Fuzzy tears it up on guitar!!! :wave:

Edited by waysider

Here's one from the late, great Paul Butterfield.This is very near the end of his life. I think he meant every word of it.I love the way he "rushed" the beat on the vocals.Not one of his better technical efforts but certainly one of his most heart-felt.And since this is technically a guitar thread, check out the fine guitar work of Chicago bluesman, Danny (Double D) Draher.Not a bunch of unnecessary clutter. Just straight to the point music.---

• 3 weeks later...

I could not tell if he was playing a Gallagher guitar or not.

I knew he used to play one. I found one in Indy several years ago and a friend of mine bought it.

The neck was a little beefy and the action stiffer than I prefer.

Doc is awesome.

I love to hear him play Beaumont Rag.

Yea -- you can't see the peghead there -- but you're right, Doc usually picks a Gallagher.

I had a chance to play one once, and I found it too *beefy* for my tastes as well.

The acoustics were superb -- but the neck was a mite too wide and thick for my liking.

The Martin I have has a thin neck, so it's (fairly) comfortable for me to pick on.

I was lucky enough to get a Gibson mandolin (F-Style) that has a thin neck as well.

I swapped out the old bow-tie neck on the banjo for a hearts and flowers neck that's smooth as butter.

I guess fiddle picking spoiled me when it comes to thinner necks!

I've had a couple of Gibson guitars (acoustic) in the past that played really decently,

but they didn't have half the tone/ volume my Martin (or a Gallagher) has.

I've never gone the *electric* route , but have had a chance to play on some ----

and the one thing I DO like about them is their *playability*.

But not enough to convince me to *buy electric*. ;)

I had an 810 Taylor for a while and the neck was sweet but that was before they decided to change the bracing and at the time they was a little weak on the mid/bass side.

Since then I believe they have listened to a few of the customers and have come up with a better bluegrass guitar. The Dan Crary model at that time still did not suit me.

Then I bought an D 28 Martin (early 70's) and it just was still not what I was looking for.

My current guitar belonged to a luthier friend of mine who was experimenting with an old Sigma.

He complained to Martin about the bracing and they sent him a AA grade top.

It is pretty much a plain jane nothing fancy guitar but it sounds like an old D 18 on steriods.

Mahogany sides and back, but a really nice top.

I also have a 000 style guitar that John Greven made for me about 20 some years ago. Really sweet guitar.

John also was making a synthetic tortise shell guitar picks that I really like. It is not quite as thickas a toothbrush handle but it is stiff.

I once heard that Clarence White had said that you can play soft with hard pick but you can't play loud with a soft pick.

My banjo is pretty much a hybrid. I researched, asked my banjo playing buddies and made a few calls to First Quality in Louisville before ordering the parts.

Again my luthier friend finished shaping the neck and assembled it for me.

At best I am an intermediate player but some of my buddies who are actually banjo players seemed to be fairly impressed with it.

Your banjo is a *hybrid* from FQMS??? Bill Sullivan was the salt of the earth,

when it came to customer service. Sadly -- he passed away (pre-maturely) this last year.

But maybe you knew that already.

I've had several Martins --- 000-18/ D-12-35/ and (currently) a D-35.

The D-35 I have now was made in 1968 -- last year for legally allowed Brazillian Rosewood.

It's a BOOMER. Has a sound and tone that just won't quit.

Good for flatpicking and rhythm as well.

Short stow-ry here. I got that Martin in Nashville Indiana back in 1976 (thereabouts).

Bought it for 550 (I think) bucks. Took it over to Elletsville to compare it to another Martin.

The Martin I put it up against was a pre-war D-18. Mine was sounding just as good. :)

The guy who owned the Martin D-18 told me that if I didn't buy the one I brought there;

he would --- and in a heartbeat! Another aspect to this stow-ry ---

There was a fella there with a D-41 Martin (brand new). Sounded like @#$%^@!

He almost took his D-41 back to return it to the dealer,

since it didn't sound as good as either of our other two guitars.

Lucky for him -- he hung onto it -- and in a few short months -- his out shone ours by far.

Getting an (acoustic) instrument from that time period was *chancy* at best ---

but sometimes one hit the jackpot. :)

I was fortunate in that my Greven was made with Brazilian rosewood sides and back.

I did consider buying a Sullivan banjo, but being the independant sort that I am I wanted to pick and choose the individual parts.

Having said that it is probably as much like a Sullivan as anything else.

I had "Hamlin" put on the pedhead because that is the name of the luthier that assembled it for me.

Probably won't do much for the resale value but that was not my priority at the time.