GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar Talk

socks

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the couple who offered to help. I thought I'd take a stab at it myself first.

Here is a link to a work in progress. It's called TGIF. It's for the boating community in our area.

Any suggestions or comments appreciated. Just starting to get into writing again after twi sucked the life outta me.

My first original tune since twi daze.

http://http://www.masteringmatters.com/stu...%27s_Friday.mp3

Edited by polar bear

A Chet Atkins story

(Can't vouch for it's authenticity)

----------------------------------------------------

Chet was in the studio warming up to record and the engineer was listening

to him play in the control room. After a few minutes the engineer hit the

talk-back button and said to Chet..."man does that guitar ever sound good."

Chet stopped playing immediately, stood up and set the guitar in the chair

where he had been seated and said to the engineer "how does it sound now?"

Food for thought...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Any of you guys or gals familiar with Charlie Musselwhite, the harmonica player?

He has an amp for sale. It's an HG 30. That's a HarpGear amp set up specifically for harp. It's a 30W tube amp and has (2) 8" speakers.

He'll even autograph it if you want. If it sounds like something that interests you, shoot me a PM.

Outstanding performance.

:eusa_clap::eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

This performance is, if anything, more amazing. Here, Goran is doing a fabulous job of what must be the most difficult of all on guitar: bringing out the different lines of fugue with clarity and separation. Follow Bach's ingeneous chromatic inner lines as they move from the low to middle voices and finally the top voice.

Oops, can't figrue out how to embed a YouTube clip. The link works anyway.

This performance is, if anything, more amazing. Here, Goran is doing a fabulous job of what must be the most difficult of all on guitar: bringing out the different lines of fugue with clarity and separation. Follow Bach's ingeneous chromatic inner lines as they move from the low to middle voices and finally the top voice.

Oops, can't figrue out how to embed a YouTube clip. The link works anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Ain't but one thing'll give me the blues

Got a hole in the bottom of my last pair of shoes"

Now it seems that even The Blues has the blues.

The San Francisco Blues Festival, the country's oldest running event of its kind, has canceled due to economic woes.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...001&sc=1000

Support live music!

(Blues or otherwise.)

Edited by waysider

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Saw that Dan Seals passed away (wayyyy too young), and realized after watching videos of him --- he picked left-handed.

Plus --- the videos I saw showed him playing a 12-string guitar, with two pick guards. (One upper, and one lower).

I'm a big fan of NO pick guards on acoustic instruments. They're a d@mn nuisance, and impede the sound of the wood. (Just my imo).

Here's a pic of my 1968 Martin D-35 (sans pick guard):

th_1968D-35.jpg

The pick guard is gone (I took it off 2 or 3 decades go), and the sound improved DRAMATICALLY once it was gone.

I guess it is all about *show biz* to have two on the guitar while on stage, eh? <_<

Don't mind me. Merely trying to get this back to Guitar Talk, without YouTube videos.

But -- I might as well try to tell twi to teach accurate doctrine, eh??

Might get the same response from them too.

Don't mind me. Merely trying to get this back to Guitar Talk, without YouTube videos.

Wow, sorry dmiller. This was my first post here in about 6 months. I thought it pertinent to the thread as, it WAS a video about an 8 year old GUITAR player.

Wow, sorry dmiller. This was my first post here in about 6 months. I thought it pertinent to the thread as, it WAS a video about an 8 year old GUITAR player.

Hey there Rick. Sorry if I offended you by my post. I certainly DID NOT mean to, and I apologize if I did. :)

Somewhere back (many pages ago in this thread) there was a discussion going on about how this thread turned into a you tube posting of people playing guitars, rather than talking about ax's, amps, strings, and anything pertinent to picking the guitar. Some of us felt that the instrument (and all it's *accessories*) were being passed over and forgotten about, while the pickers thereof were becoming the limelight instead. I'm as guilty as the next person of posting you tube stuff here on this thread, since that has now become the "norm". The part of my post that said:

Was directed towards myself as well as the thread in general. This thread has gravitated from guitars, to guitar pickers.

Besides -- I was (mostly) making comments about Dan Seal's guitar, and not about Quinn Sullivan (and I agree he is an amazing picker)!

I couldn't tell you what I was doing when I was eight years old, but it CERTAINLY wasn't anything like Quinn!

Thanks for sharing that video. I'm not a real big fan of the blues, but I'm a huge fan of talent - - - especially in youth. :)