• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you Kathy for catching this and bringing it to my attention :redface2:

Sorry too Socks,

I only meant to genuinely point out that I see You as someone who always tries to mediate a solution!

It Should read as follows in the corrected form:

Dear (((((((Socks)))))),

You will be sorely missed!!! Even though, I just read this thread, Your input is priceless and valued! You add a lot of heart and soul to Greasespot; here and on all the threads! Please do reconsider and continue to be one of the one's who are always part of the solutions and never one of the one's who are part of the problems! You are a good man! We don't always agree but I respect you, both your heart and your style.

I read Excies thread as I do many others without posting on them. I hope that they don't erase it and people reread it more carefully and realize what really is happening in the posters hearts and work it out better! Do hurry back and GOD Bless You and keep You and Your Loved Ones!

I Love You Socks, RainbowsGirl

Dear (((((Bluzeman))))))),

It was not your fault! You were not creating a problem either. Your were presenting a pointed of view and that's okay! I lean toward your point of view. It should have been accepted as that. I in some ways agree with what you tried to state! It was not heard well and no one asked why or any other pertinent questions! Some were just angry and defensive to quickly. No one had to push anyone to the points they did. It's a very emotional issue in many respects. I would have liked to say something too about the Nazi corp types, but I hoped that just You and JohnR could have worked it out!

People need to be less self involved and self centered and care about each other's hearts and wounds...and not inflict even more wounds! We need to be more willing to talk through things like misunderstandings and justified differences! They the real parties involved need to sometimes be left alone to work it out as you suggested by phone with mediation!

Most everyone meant well...It just got blown out of proportion! I am so very sorry that you too were hurt! I hope you decide to stay! You are a Good man too and very well Love here by all!

I Love You Bluzeman RainbowsGirl

Hey!!

If all these guys leave, Jonny L. and I are liable to turn it into "Harmonica Talk"

Boy!! If that doesn't scare you, what WILL?

Plus-- If Tom S. gets wind of it, he may force his hand in turning it into "Bongo Talk".

I'm just sayin'----------

Hey Gitsters, wanted to share about a gig I did today, a "casual", playing bass. Got the call to fill in for a band who's bass player quit and they needed someone to fill in. They sent the set list this week, 60 tunes, and I roughed it out, wasn't able to rehearse with them, so I walked in and got their book (lyrics and lead sheets/chord charts) of songs. Had a great time. They were up for 4 - 45 minute sets, ended up doing 3 long ones. Only did about 40 tunes.

The fun part of this gig is that the music was a combination of Hawaiian and Reggae music, with some Jamaican island sounds mixed into the whole thing. The main instrumentation is ukelele - two guys, one's the lead, second doubles and plays rhythm. They both sing, and there's a female singer that plays piano. Plus a conga/percussionist and a guitarist, nylon string.

These guys had ukelele's everywhere, there were about 8 of them, strung differently and in different tunings and they played some serious stuff. It was a funky blended style of some standard Hawaiian songs done up in a Reggae rhythm, plus a lot of pop tunes funked up in this blended style. I LOVE playing bass, and although I'm not a "real" player, I like putting that hat on and filling the bottom. Reggae bass is all about the bottom and making a patterned pulse fit the beat.

Totally fun stuff, this was music to smile to. There's a real soulful sound in these musics.

Neat-o, Socks!

I spent my Saturday night at the College Park Jazz Festival. Where I heard this incredible Santana-ish band - Akangana . All kinds of percussion instruments, one guy up front played just about everything you can imagine from the congo and bongo drums to a guiro and agogo bells (?).

They never broke between sets, though.... it was like one hour long song while they were on stage. Odd, never heard that before.

The other two bands were really good, too.

They never broke between sets, though.... it was like one hour long song while they were on stage. Odd, never heard that before.

The Neville Brothers do that also.

They are a must see if they come to your area.

--------------------------------------------------------

OK, Socks!

Spill the beans.

What kinda axe?

4 string? 6 string?

Round wound? flat wound?

Finger rocker? Picker?

Special FX?

yada, yada, yada.

Enquiring minds want to know!

Dear (((((Bluzeman))))))),

It was not your fault! You were not creating a problem either. Your were presenting a pointed of view and that's okay! I lean toward your point of view. It should have been accepted as that. I in some ways agree with what you tried to state! It was not heard well and no one asked why or any other pertinent questions! Some were just angry and defensive to quickly. No one had to push anyone to the points they did. It's a very emotional issue in many respects. I would have liked to say something too about the Nazi corp types, but I hoped that just You and JohnR could have worked it out!

People need to be less self involved and self centered and care about each other's hearts and wounds...and not inflict even more wounds! We need to be more willing to talk through things like misunderstandings and justified differences! They the real parties involved need to sometimes be left alone to work it out as you suggested by phone with mediation!

Most everyone meant well...It just got blown out of proportion! I am so very sorry that you too were hurt! I hope you decide to stay! You are a Good man too and very well Love here by all!

I Love You Bluzeman RainbowsGirl

RG,

I've let too many days pass on this but decided I'd post even still.

You were kind to express this to Rick and I wanted you to know that. I communicate with him away from this board and chose not to post my feelings about him, although that isn't a secret either I imagine.

Thank you from me.

Kathy

Dunno, Chatty. I let them know I was available, and could drop in again. That gig might turn into a regular one for them, and it was close by, so it might turn up again. (Now that I know the style and some of the tunes) :biglaugh:

WS-took a Fender Bassman bottom, and a Sunn Concert Lead top, for amplification. It has two inputs, which I used for a Fender Jazz Fretless (4 string) with flatwounds, and a "No name" 4 string fretted bass I've put a Fender bridge on, that has round wound strings on it. It's about 20 years old but plays well, and not as heavy as a Fender. Took a Boss Floor tuner.

I like that tight "be the bass" feel and play with a 2 finger style, although I have to be careful or I get REAlly sore fingertips. Use some Xtra Heavy pick, teardrops, for some of it. Like I said, I adopted bass to get work 'back in the day' and have come to like it, but it's definitely a second-instrument thing. I just get really moved by that low down X-rated grit on the spit sound of a bass with a good rhythm section.

Edited by socks

Very cool!

I'll bet that Fender fretless has an awesome sound for that kind of stuff, especially with the 2 finger, finger rockin' kind of style. It's probably too heavy and spread out for my old hands but I'll bet it sounds great.

That would be sweet if it turned into some regular work.

Chatster----Sorry you and the hubs couldn't make the "Hot Licks Blues Fest" this year.

They had a really cool zydeco band from Cincinnati (of all places) who had the crowd rockin' and jumpin' and screamin' "Eat more crawfish!!" (Complete with Mardi Gras beads and songs sung in Louisiana French.)

DialThis sends his regards and said your presence was missed.

:wave:

Thank you for sharing his regards and tell him I would have loved to have been able to hang out with y'all. Hubby and I both felt like we'd known you both before we even met. It was a memorable time in life and ever time I look at my boots I think of you guys. :)

Ohio holds some of the best things of my life in it. Go figure! :biglaugh:

Downtown Tampa has some cool blues things happening I understand but I've yet to make them. Soon.

It's heavy alright. I ended up usin' the fretted bass more second half, as it was a little easier for me to get in the "pocket" on, and keep on the right chord changes on songs I wasn't that familiar with. Plus, it doesn't weigh a ton. :) But that smooth vibe of the fretless is niiiice.

• 2 weeks later...