GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar Talk

socks

Hi waysider, I haven't been able to check out the videos enough to see what kind of gear that is - I will though, and see if I can get a read on it. I have seen some use of things like Leslie speaker FX, chorusing, that kind of stuff. Harmonica seems like it would be a perfect instrument for use of FX, especially now that digital technology can respond to nuance better.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice video Waysider. He seems to play lots of chords as opposed to single notes. Seems like when I take a break, I go with 12 bars of single notes, and if I get the nod from the keyboard guy to go another round, I'll play more of a chord kind of a solo. Partly to not sound repetitive, but also to catch my breath. Haha!

Socks, what is "nuance" in this case?

Edited by Jonny Lingo

Jonny 'Go! Nuance - I was thinking the inflection and articulation of notes played. In digital sound, all the details of a note played have to be reproduced for it to sound "real". Just the note alone sounds dead. I was thinking that stuff, what it takes to make the music reproduce accurately. Used to be it was difficult to do that, but PC's are much more powerful now.

Okay, does anyone here subscribe to Guitar World?

There's a great article in the June 2007 issues about a recent Clapton tour in Europe and Asia - it's pretty incredible...

I'm wondering how much of the article I could post without violating copyright laws...

Here's a little snippet from another web site about it:

Clapton has assembled an impressive band, including several album collaborators. The 2006 tour band will consist of: Eric Clapton, guitar, as well as Doyle Bramhall II and Derek Trucks also on guitar, Chris Stainton and Tim Carmon on keyboards, Willie Weeks on bass, Steve Jordan on drums, The Kick Horns: Simon Clarke, Roddy Lorimer, and Tim Sanders on brass, and backing vocals by Michelle John and Sharon White.

WOW.... wish they'd tour America.... :blink:

So --- I was watching Antiques Road Show, on PBS Saturday night.

I was busy here on the internet, until one of the *exhibits* caught my eye.

It was not one, but two Martin guitars.

One was a *parlour guitar*, that had a stamp in it *A. Martin* (NOT C.F. Martin).

It was in rough shape. Binding from the sides coming loose, no strings, etc.

They compared the stamp on the inside to the modern day Martins,

and it was pretty evident C.F. Martin, used the same style of stamp that *A* did.

(Whomever *A* is -- it was speculated that he was an ancestor that never made it to America.)

The guy that brought the two in, stated that he bought the parlour guitar at a garage sale,

for 20 to 30 bucks. As rough a shape as it was in, it was valued at about 1 grand.

Regardless -- it was the OTHER guitar that caught my attention.

It was a PRISTINE 1946 Martin D-28 Herringbone -- creme of the crop!

When asked how he aquired this particular instrument, the owner said:

"This used to belong to a friend of mine back in the 1950's, and he had to pawn it.

He wanted to get it out of hock, but didn't have the money.

So he sold me the pawn ticket, for what he had hocked the guitar for --- $25.00.

I paid him the $25.00, got the pawn ticket, and went and paid an extra $10.00,

to redeem the guitar and take it home."

That guitar was valued at (almost) $15,000 bucks by the Antique Road Show folks.

Knowing a bit about old/vintage Martins like I do (these days) --

I think they were right on with their estimate!

Helluv-a-deal for the guy who NOW owns it!!

Some folks run into some real *prizes*, for dirt cheap.

I'm glad for him -- but I wish it could've been me instead! :)

Martin's from that era have a sound like no other guitar.

mar28_46.jpg

Edited by dmiller

oooh - Mr. Miller... boy do we love Antiques Road Show! And from time to time they have a great guitar featured - I love hearing about them and any lore that might be connected with them - but then when the final estimated value of the piece is disclosed to the owners... THAT'S PRICELESS to watch!

And some people keep their guitars locked up in bank vaults.

Like the guy in the audience to whom Elvis randomly gave his Hummingbird at the end of a

Vegas performance.

Which in that case, is not a bad idea.

But still, the thought of any beautiful playable instrument being locked up and not touched seems

downright perverse.

Hi pickers and grinners. Been in transition as they say, and not on the thread much. Some interesting stuff!

Collections - I was researching a couple instruments for a friend, an old Gibson lap steel and a Rickenbaker, nice instruments. I get Vintage Guitar mag, it's a great source of information and resources on old instruments.

More and more instruments are landing in the hands of "lay" players, people when who play or did at one time and who have an interest. I think that can be a good thing, in that when people who play have the money to buy vintage stuff and get the guitars they love they'll remain "out" rather than locked up somewhere.

Right now I'm off for a week, chillin' and doing home projects and some goofing off. Waiting on a couple Epiphone Les Pauls I bought that should come in the next week or so. One for my daughter, one for me. Son's moving back home for a month or two, so he's got his fretless bass coming home. :)

Help needed.

My 16 year old son has decided he would like to learn acoustic guitar.

Dad has a perfectly good Fender dreadnaught Gemini II but he wants an axe he can call his own.

He is looking at a Fender D-100(about the same thing as Dad has)

He wants to spend about $500 or less.

Any thoughts on entry level guitars?

I suggested a Martin D-15 but it's a bit out of his price range.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hey there Waysider. :) I saw your request, and started looking around.

I ran across THIS SITE. A friend of mine has a Yamaha, and he is extremely happy with it.

This looks like a decent guitar. Solid Sitka top, rosewood back and sides,

binding all the way around, and it looks like it has enclosed tuners too.

Plus the price is right. :) Check it out.

403968.jpg

403970.jpg

Edited by dmiller

Thanks, Mr. Miller

That's a nice looking guitar.(Wouldn't mind one for myself)

I have dealt with that company before and have no complaints thus far.

Prices are usually fair and the merchandise has always arrived well packaged.

PS---Back up a few posts and you will find some Rich DelGrosso.

Not exactly your style of mando but interesting none the less.

Hello all. Anyone hear of Aspen guitars. Lawsuit era. I found a hummingbird copy and it souds nice, plays nice. Not as much sustain as J-50 but holds well to Alvarez DY73 CS. How can a person tell a plastic nut from bone as this nut may have been molded with grain to look like bone or ivory, I can't tell, looked with magnifying glass. thinking of bone nut and saddle with setup maybe get a little more sustain. New machines and I have a new guitar. Looks like one owner hardly played guitar. No scratches on headstock. No buckle marks on back. Thought about changing inlay to real MOP. If it is something I can do my self. Any info or Ideas would help.

Thanks

Hello all. Anyone hear of Aspen guitars. Lawsuit era. I found a hummingbird copy and it sounds nice, plays nice. Not as much sustain as J-50 but holds well to Alvarez DY73 CS. How can a person tell a plastic nut from bone as this nut may have been molded with grain to look like bone or ivory, I can't tell, looked with magnifying glass. thinking of bone nut and saddle with setup maybe get a little more sustain. New machines and I have a new guitar. Looks like one owner hardly played guitar. No scratches on headstock. No buckle marks on back. Thought about changing inlay to real MOP. If it is something I can do my self. Any info or Ideas would help.

Thanks

Hi, Walking.

I think you probably have more ambition than I do.

If your ear can't tell the difference, who cares?

Unless, of course, it's a matter of price.

I don't know how to tell the difference without some lab test that I'm sure you are not going to do.

I can tell you this, though, in my line of work, people often ask me how they can tell the difference between sodium residue and calcium residue.(Bone is made of calcium.)

Sodium residue is water soluble, calcium is not, nor is plastic.

Applying a bit of white vinegar to suspected calcium build-up will usually cause it to fizz enough to at least give a positive ID. It won't do anything to plastic.

I suppose a very minute amount of the bridge material (in powdered form ) would produce similar results.

Sounds like a lot of trouble to go to, though, if it's only to satisfy curiosity.

That's all just guess work on my part.

Sounds like a nice guitar if the price is right.

Thanks for the response waysider. I guess if it's not broke don't fix it. I had pretty much beat up my other guitars, needed new nut on one and re-fret on the other. I was just looking for a cheap guitar and came across this one. I bought it on name alone as I have also LP copy made by Aspen which is a real good copy. it is hot rodded now. Thinking if Aspen made a LP copy that well, hope they do the same for acoustics. I was right. In my search for info on Aspen I foud that The Martin copies they made were very good also. This was just from reading info on other guitar sites by people searching for Aspen info also. The price was right. Though it looked a little rough at first from a distance when I picked it up I could barely find a scratch. What looked like a finnish well worn of the neck was maybe a discolored wax or oxidation most of it came off with cleaning and the rest with playing. Yep, it sounds good to me, a keeper. Gave me all these Ideas. I wait till my playing develops to a level I'm happy with. For such a good guitar I wonder why it is so hard to find a company history.

post-2949-1183458866_thumb.jpg

Hey there Walking, howdy. :wave:

I hadn't heard of Aspen guitars before. Looked them up and it seems they've gone out of business. I looked around for info, and like you found little on the company. I did find THIS PAGE that had reviews, but maybe you've seen it before.

Sounds like you have a keeper. Definitely looks good too!

Need to get ready to go to work now. Good luck on the nut and saddle thing. :)

Hey there Walking, howdy. :wave:

I hadn't heard of Aspen guitars before. Looked them up and it seems they've gone out of business. I looked around for info, and like you found little on the company. I did find THIS PAGE that had reviews, but maybe you've seen it before.

Sounds like you have a keeper. Definitely looks good too!

Need to get ready to go to work now. Good luck on the nut and saddle thing. :)

I had checked out that site, Harmony Central, most info I could find was there. bits and pieces on a couple sites. Oh well. I now have an electric and acoustic from this maker. thanks

Not mine...

Hubby dropped a very heavy table on his Ibanez RG-550 and it put two divets in it. Both are smaller than a dime - or even pencil eraser. But that's his favorite. Of course, it's a strange cream-color -- the name of the color is "Antique White" - and it's been a booger to match.

I suggested sanding it, filling the dents, and then covering it with nail polish - would that work??