GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar Talk

socks

:offtopic: (slightly...)

sad news... the lead singer of Boston, a NH resident, was found dead in his home today... he was only 55 years old.

ATKINSON, N.H. -- Bradley Delp, the lead singer of the 1970s band Boston, died Friday at his home in Atkinson.

Police are calling Delp's death "untimely," but they said there was no indication of foul play. Investigators said he was apparently alone at the time of his death.

Delp, 55, was preparing for a summer tour with Boston and was also planning to get married this summer.

--------

How sad. What a great group and what a powerful voice.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I suppose we can now safely put to rest the rumors of a" next" album being released in the near future.

Sorry. No disrespect intended. It's just an old joke from the '70's about a "next" album that seemed to take forever to materialize.

Listened to some Boston last night. What great rock music! Only a few voices like that.

Gone but not forgotten.

Don Alder - a song for repose -

There's a few *recognizable voices* in the industry, that are all quality.

Brad was one of them. John Cowan (New Grass Revival) is another.

Another of the most recognizable voice's (for me), is John Schlitt with Petra.

All three of these folks have/ had vocals that won't quit. They are that good.

The early Petra is my favorite rock group of all time.

Bob Hartman is one of the better guitar pickers I've heard.

Put that together with John Schlitt's vocal abilities and you have

A combo that can't be beat. :)

BEYOND BELIEF

And JUST REACH OUT

Edited by dmiller

:offtopic: Sorry to wander from all these great tunes you have posted.

My wife dragged me out yesterday for my bday and we broke our record for live concerts in one day. We managed to get to four different venues. We went from old jazz to blues to standards and then to newer jazz in one day.

My wifey even got up to sing with Jeff Healey-what a treat.

Love to all.

Someday I'm goona post some old blues standards for y'all, they blow your "Socks" off.

John Schlitt

Beautiful voice!

Thank you David.

:offtopic: Sorry to wander from all these great tunes you have posted.

My wife dragged me out yesterday for my bday and we broke our record for live concerts in one day. We managed to get to four different venues. We went from old jazz to blues to standards and then to newer jazz in one day.

My wifey even got up to sing with Jeff Healey-what a treat.

Love to all.

Someday I'm goona post some old blues standards for y'all, they blow your "Socks" off.

Awesome! Can't wait!

Bring 'em on pb! Look forward to it. You remind me I've got some Lightning Hopkins CD's a friend of mine gave me awhile back that have some nice stuff. Sounds like you have a great day!

Josie's your sister Chatty? Cool tune, the Danlings did a fine job on that album, Aja. Always interesting guitar work. And Walter Becker has a great style and sound, perfectly "Dan".

I plan to check those songs out dmiller - great voices, Steve Perry of Journey is another one. He takes some hits for the pop-rock stuff but he really does well with anything he sings and he does pop-rock very very well. Huge range, memorable sound, once you've heard it you know it when you hear it again.

Edited by socks

Socksman,

Yeah, Josie my only sister died at 39 of cancer. She got to see Steely Dan in concert though not long before she died and she was so thankful for that. Her youngest is the one that broke his foot in Iraq (his second tour) and was flown to Germany where he will remain until sent back to the states to become a recruiter.

I love Steve Perry's voice. Outstanding ability he has.

Kathy

Speaking of voices:

Iwas listening to the "Deep Tracks" radio show the other day and they played Jeff Becks' version of "Shapes of Things" with Rod Stewart on vocals.

YIKES!

He was having a tough time just finding the melody let alone the correct pitch.

Sorry Rod fans, but this particular one was more like Stink-ola than Beck-ola.

On the other hand, I also heard some Steve Marriot. OH YEAH! Another great voice who left us too soon.

I love that song David.

And how sad someone took his life. :(

From what I understand he had a heart condition. He had placed a 911 call but the police did not arrive soon enough for him. The area of NH he was in was rather rural - I believe the nearest trauma center would have been a good 20 mins. from him. His family also asked that memorial donations could be made to the American Heart Association...

On Eddie Van Halen's website, he called Depl one of the nicest guys in rock'n'roll.

I heard on the radio today that the Ronettes are being inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame.

I heard on the same announcement, that the Rolling Stones once opened for them.

They must've been more popular than I remember.

How come it took so long for them to get to the hall of fame???

THE RONETTES

(P.s. -- Eddie Van Halen and REM are being inducted as well).

Yeah, Kathy, he's got some good tunes.

Ronettes - yeah, dunno. The Ronettes themselves and their "wall of sound" producer are due. That's good news, dmiller!

I don't know how that works - REM at the same time as the Ronettes? There's decades between them. I guess the RRHF is parcelling it all out.

dmiller----

There is a very loose criteria used to determine eligibility for induction.

First, 25 years must have passed since the release of your first record(No problem there)

Secondly, your work must be thought of as having had some sort of profound significance and influence on the furtherance of rock and roll.(the general public is just beginning to see how large a role Ronnie Specter played in the history of rock and roll)

Thirdly, I think, and this is just my opinion, that having been married briefly to legandary record producer Phil Specter helped her initially but also set her up to play second fiddle in the publics' eye over the years.

Hall Of Fame or no Hall Of Fame, the lady has one very fine and powerful voice.

She released an album last year called "Last of the Rock Stars" which received rave reviews.

I confess, I have not heard the album in its entirety. What I did hear,though, was well worth the price of admission.

REM? In the RRHF? Scheesch...

I can think of sooooo many bands/musicians who have come before them who aren't in the RRHF.... I don't get how they decide who goes in....

I have an issue with the RRHF... here's ol' Chas getting up on her soapbox...

Bruce Springsteen was inducted into the RRHF.... but the E Street Band was NOT.

Buddy Holly was inducted into the RRHF... but the Crickets were NOT.

Frank Zappa was inducted into the RRHF... but the Mothers of Invention were NOT.

Bob Marley was inducted into the RRHF... but the Wailers were NOT.

Then, there's the non-musicians who have been inducted - Clive Davis and Berry Gordy, for example - who have NO business being there.

Then, there's the bands who shoulda been inducted YEARS ago...

The Guess Who

Jeff Beck

Peter Frampton

Steppenwolf

Three Dog Night

Thin Lizzy

Blue Oyster Cult

Hall & Oats

Boston

Styx

Chicago

Cat Stevens

Little Feat

Kiss

... and they pull REM outta where? for this...

I don't get it...