• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

40 YEARS ago, Sprawled????

Oh my, my my!

A La, I don't want to ignore your last music posts, but I've been pondering something good to say about them. Danko was one of the greats, and really did something in The Band. Loved his voice and style.

I may take some hits for this but I was never and am still not a great fan of Janis Joplin, sooooo....and Jerry Garcia - looked much better then when his hair and beard were still a dark brown. I can definitely say that.

But I applaud your effort and the might of YouTube!!!! :biglaugh: It's appreciated!!! :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

great clip. from "the making of sgt. pepper," i think.

which, by the way, was released FORTY YEARS AGO this summer.

yikes.

Wow. I remember buying it when it first hit the record stores.

It was in a head shop called The Other Side, there in Indiana.

If I recollect correct, I also bought "Their Satanic Majesties Request"

(by the Stones), along with Sgt. Pepper.

40 years ago. Unbelievable!!!

Cool photo dmiller! Steve Martin - pre-gray!

Me and McGhee was a good song, wasn't it? Are it? Yeah, I never got my Hippie Card I guess.

But again - Youtube has some real gold. Remember The Chantays? Pipeline? You've heard the song...

Now see the music...if you dare..............

But be warned - before you view the above video clip - you will never be able to hear the words "surf music" again without these images coming back, burned forever in your consciousness, so proceed cautiously if at all. You also may want to shield your children's eys or provide suitable eye protection for them if they're in the room at the time you decide to view the clip. I've also read it's not uncommon for people to view the clip repeatedly over and over after a first viewing, unable to stop, so you may want to arrange for someone to close your browser after a pre-determined amount of time, say 10 minutes.

Edited by socks

:biglaugh:

Socksman, I only watched for a few seconds and kept the window up while playing but will not go back until it is over. But I love that song. Too bad no one told them they looked like goof balls. :blink:

I did like Joplin myself but I liked her other singing voice than the one we heard. I saw an interview with her once where they had a clip of the voice she never allowed to be heard and she was a skilled vocalist with a sweet and gentle voice.

I never was crazy about the Dead though although they had a couple songs I really dug but the group as a whole weren't my thing.

I was focusing on my coffee too much I can see because I missed words in there but y'all know what I was saying.

Kathy

I think I heard that same clip you referenced. I believe it may have been on "Fresh Aire with Terry Gross"on public radio a couple of years ago. It seems to me the interview was with someone who had just done a biography or anthology or something.I agree, she had a beautiful "natural" voice.I suppose she used the voice we all know because that's what the market wanted at the time.

RE: Jams.

I never really thought of jams as being a "spectator sport".

If I may paraphrase a quote by Larry Gatlin," it's a bit like taking someone elses kid to the circus."

Actually, he made that statement in the context of performing someone elses material.

It can be fun (spectating) but nowhere near as satisfying as participating.

dmiller--help me out here. You're our resident jam guy. :)

The Dead ---Never was a big fan though I respect the level of talent that they possessed as individuals.

Chatty, I hesitated to put that up. I'm glad you survived. :biglaugh:

"Pipeline" is a classic. I had the Chantays album that had it and I swear I can remember their faces. And interestingly, the buzz on a lot of those early 60's surf bands was that their albums were recorded by studio musicians. Tommy Tedesco, Glen Campbell, Carol Kaye (bass) have all said they played on many of the sessions that produced the hits. So in most cases the playing's good and in the case of this video the 'Tays are pick-synching so they had plenty of energy to work those moves. It's really a classic!

Dead - what can be said? Guitar-wise, just not my cup of tea. I always harp on the vast amounts of money, time and energy that went into Garcia's guitar and equipment, yet he frequently had a sound that was thin and out of tune. Other stuff, like the tune he did guitar on for Bruce Hornsby - can't place the name now, he smoked. I think he needed direction and an engineer to shape the sound better, although that's probably crazy talk to a Dead Head, I know.

Only guy who seemed to have decent chops IMO was Kreutzman. Hart, forget it. I heard second hand about his Planet Drum thing, Hart has a heck of a time keeping steady time. It confirms what I heard the few times I've seen them.

Lesh and Weir - uh, no. But they're the Dead and they do Dead better than anyone alive, and they've made massive amounts of money doing it. Good ol' All American Hippie Capitalism, at it's best.

The Dead are a Big Money machine. I really expect to see T-shirts at the Fillmore someday that will have a picture of Garcia and say "I'm Dead" on the front and on the back "And I'm Grateful". 45.00, Stoned Washed cotton, guaranteed to not shrink around the middle where it counts.

But on to other cool things - like this:

And again - He's consistent.

Link Ray and some new Raymen, 1978 on the first one. He makes that tune work, I'll say that. It's funny on the one hand, but puts the "D" in dangerous on the other. No wonder the song survived!

Edited by socks

i get that the grateful dead is an acquired taste--for the most part, you either get it, or you don't (i was dragged to a show in 1971, and learned to appreciate it, thanks in part to an anonymous deadhead who plopped down next to me with a SHOPPING BAGFULL of some funny-smelling herb.)

however, taste or not, bob weir is among the finest--and most under-appreciated--guitarists i know. i'm not interested in where he is now, particularly, but back in the day, he took rhythm guitar to a whole 'nother place. download "not fade away/going down the road feeling bad" from the 2nd live album (skull and roses), and listen to his work in the jam that connects the two. (most people tend to hear garcia's lead work, and don't get what's going on behind it. but they're easy enough to separate if you put on headphones--they're on opposite sides of the stereo spectrum.) and while you're there, keep focused on his guitar through the end of "going down the road." then tell me if you've ever heard anyone else handle the rhythm part like that.

really. go ahead. you'll see. i swear!

I'll grab hold of that if I get a chance sprawled out.

After the first two albums I just lost interest. Couple things on the first album I liked, and Anthem of the Sun opened strong. Alligator, I liked.

Now - as for 60's psycho-tronic bands, there was The Seeds, and Love. Love was actually a very good guitar oriented band I thought. "7 and 7 Is" was a kind of minor classic.

Country Joe and the Fish - I really like some of their early instrumentals. Section 43 - the 2nd and 6th movements with the arpeggiated chords brings back fond memories, of the uh, memories. Porpoise Mouth was a cool tune. I always kind of liked Barry Melton's sense of humor, some of the stuff was seriously tweezed but did some nice stuff. But when he and Garcia would get that twicky Gibson SG sound going - nope, I never got it.

Link Wray - yeah. :dance: