GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar Talk

socks

dmiller----

There is a very loose criteria used to determine eligibility for induction.

First, 25 years must have passed since the release of your first record(No problem there)

Secondly, your work must be thought of as having had some sort of profound significance and influence on the furtherance of rock and roll.(the general public is just beginning to see how large a role Ronnie Specter played in the history of rock and roll)

Thirdly, I think, and this is just my opinion, that having been married briefly to legandary record producer Phil Specter helped her initially but also set her up to play second fiddle in the publics' eye over the years.

Hall Of Fame or no Hall Of Fame, the lady has one very fine and powerful voice.

She released an album last year called "Last of the Rock Stars" which received rave reviews.

I confess, I have not heard the album in its entirety. What I did hear, though, was well worth the price of admission.

Waysider -- thanks for the input. It really takes 25 years????

I can understand a *flash in the pan* being disqualified

(like *Achey Breaky Heart* by Billy Ray Cyrus),

but I didn't know there was a time limit involved.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hold that soapbox, Chas. You've brought up some good points.

Link Wray isn't in the Hall of Fame yet - you can sign a petition HERE

Rumble is listed as one of the 500 top rock songs.

That's so weak. Wray never hit Vegas or did an Oldies tour, and while I respect people making a living, Wray did seem to exemplify his roots throughout his life. There's no way he shouldn't have been inducted the first couple years.

Did someone mention Beck? I love Jeff Beck! "I'm Goin Down!" Oops, did I just post? Yes, I did. Well now. Speakin of git-tars, my 20 year old son "Keanu" (Trevor) is heading down to Texas to work for my brother in law in construction. But, my brother in law Greg is also an accomplished pianist and git-tar player and has a "home studio" complete with recording gadgets and p.a.'s and amplifiers and all kinds of that stuff that will be just fine for my youngun Trevor. I have been billing the whole deal as "Trevor's Excellent Adventure". Yeah, he just needs to "get outa Dodge" and enjoy a change of venue. We bought him a one way ticket for his birthday which is tomorrow, and he will be getting some sunshine for a change! And, there are plenty of purdy gals down that way also. He'll also be working with his Texas cousin Zach who is also a budding guitarist. There is alot of C and Dubya in "Amarilla" and I am sure that old (young) Trevor will just fit in fine down thataway. And, as a matter of fact, I am looking at his "adventure" as something that will help him "get growed up" somewhat. Yeah, he has been slow to catch on to getting "responsible" and nailing down a job and such, and so I am hoping to God that this will be a "good thing". And, I think that he will be blessed by his Uncle's musical abilities.

And, he also has another uncle, Uncle Jack, who just spent the last two years at the Peabody Institute in Baltimore MD studying classical guitar. His Uncle Jack is a retired millionaire who sold his law firm and simply went "back to school" to study his passion which is classical guitar. And so, my boy Trevor will have two different mentors to learn from, and I am praying for him to not only "catch the drift" when it comes to work and responsibility, but also to have some great musical education.

And so, keep him in your prayers, will ya? And hey, I love all you folk over here in the "peacefull threads". I guess I just got really tired of the Way bashing and then also the political forum (which I could have avoided but seemed to be unable to avoid), and well, any way, I love you guys over here.

JL

Brother Lingo! I was waitin' on ya! Good news on your son. He'll do well. Prayers that way, for sure.

Jeff Beck needs to go in now. Before Peter Buck. Next in line, no pushing, but he needs to be in! Listened to some Truth and Beck O La this weekend. Classic stuff, rough and ready, all good all the time.

I'm assuming that Steve Ray Vaughn and Dire Straits might yet be inducted. Perhaps the 25 year thing although both would be beyond that so I don't understand how they come up with inductees. I couldn't find a complete list of past inductions but I don't think either are on the list and that is just wrong.

I need some help from you Guitar officinados....

My little one is trying to teach herself the guitar (Mom cannot afford lessons at this time.) She already plays the piano and can read music.

What I need is a list of some good websites that will help her. Her cousin gave her a guitar last summer and taught her how to read tabs - but only just a bit.

I don't mean to derail the thread - so if you'd like to PM me that's fine..

Thanks in advance!

dooj

Jonny---------Nice to "see" you. Sounds like your son is in for some weather extremes that may be new to him. Are you still blowing any harp? I get to Harp-l .com every now and then . Maybe we could bring some harp talk here to the thread and "bend" a few ears.

Kathy-------Yeah, I agree with you 100%. That's why I said the criteria is somewhat "loose".

I have never been a big advocate of treating music like some sort of competition. It's like hanging a Picasso on the same wall as a Monet and asking,"Ok, which one is better.?"

In high school we had band as well as individual competitions, but they were rated on a system that used very finite and technical criteria. We were rated on tone quality, articulation, use of dynamics,etc. These things are objective not subjective.

Lots and lots of the artists we remember so fondly from our pasts would get the bums' rush on American "Idle".

Dooj-------That's not a derail. That's what this thread is all about, yakkin' about guitars and music in general because it holds a special place in our hearts. There is nothing like one-on-one instruction but it's not the end all answer. I have been a long time user and advocate of homespuntapes.com. They produce video/ dvd lessons that you persue at your own pace. They are very well engineered and taught by some of the leading performers of their respective instuments. They have different levels, so you have to pay attention to the level of difficulty system to find what is right for you.(Can you imagine taking a lesson with Doc Watson, Roger McGuinn, Tony Rice, Tom Rush or Jorma Kaukenen?) That's the kind of stuff they offer. Sorry, I know that sounds like a commercial. Stick around and check out some of the YouTube links and what-not.

:wave:

Ok there's an ad at the bottom for a guitar course - normally I'd get it - anyone got any ideas on the matter? And, no I'm not thinking that she will learn in six lessons......

Dooj - try this homespun course, at Truefire.com

Happy Traum, that's his name, is the instructor, he's been around the world of music for a long time. Might be a good place to start, the course comes with 2 DVD's.

Live instruction, a teacher, is hard to beat. Local music stores usually have a line on some people that could do that. Consider a couple-three one-on-one lessons with someone they can sit with and get started.

Truefire is a great little site, for all kinds of guitar music. I've gotten a fair amount of music from them in download form. They're legit.

Sounds like fun times ahead!!!

Kathy-------Yeah, I agree with you 100%. That's why I said the criteria is somewhat "loose".

I have never been a big advocate of treating music like some sort of competition. It's like hanging a Picasso on the same wall as a Monet and asking,"Ok, which one is better.?"

In high school we had band as well as individual competitions, but they were rated on a system that used very finite and technical criteria. We were rated on tone quality, articulation, use of dynamics,etc. These things are objective not subjective.

Lots and lots of the artists we remember so fondly from our pasts would get the bums' rush on American "Idle".

Interesting point there. No doubt about it some of the folks I enjoy the most wouldn't be called great vocalists. Mark Knopfler knocks me off my feet but I imagine not everyone considers his voice of great quality.

I wondered if Hagar and Roth could be on stage together, maybe they have before but Roth is a bit too into himself I thought.

Interesting about Spector sending his regards to the Ronettes.

And too bad about Van Halen not being there also didn't his wife leave him because he picked smoking back up after going thru throat cancer.

That is sooooooo rock'n'roll.... :evildenk:

I need some help from you Guitar officinados....

My little one is trying to teach herself the guitar (Mom cannot afford lessons at this time.) She already plays the piano and can read music.

What I need is a list of some good websites that will help her. Her cousin gave her a guitar last summer and taught her how to read tabs - but only just a bit.

I don't mean to derail the thread - so if you'd like to PM me that's fine..

Thanks in advance!

dooj

Don't laugh, but the Mel Bay series of books is really good. I don't know too many web sites that really have sound content. Personally, I like the web for getting tab but not for learning about technique... I started out playing guitar but someone (my ex) gave my guitar away... I prefer bass, anyhow. (And gawd help anyone who tries to give my baby away!)

Edited by ChasUFarley

I wondered if Hagar and Roth could be on stage together,

maybe they have before but Roth is a bit too into himself I thought.

Hey Kathy -- I found a thing on You Tube where the two of them did a tour together.

The egos there were IMMENSE!! (Especially Roth).

Dunno about you, but I couldn't live with that.

Give me a front porch swing, and a coupla other musicians any day of the week,

versus the *mindset of the BIG stage*.

I've done some festivals where I was playing fiddle in front of over 5,000 folks.

Sure -- fun to to do, but not as gratifying as the front porch picking.

I honestly DO NOT UNDERSTAND the *BIG STAGE* mentality.

I feel sorry for these guys, that they are so wrapped up in themselves.

Music is what it is all about. Not the performer.

David,

That is something that they did a tour together, wow. I preferred Hagar over Roth with Van Halen because of Roth's ego.

I've heard a few interviews where the musicians that make it big get lost in the pace of it all and have no private time to themselves to even play and enjoy the things that got them to that point in the first place. I think sometimes the managers and backers make it worse than they ever wanted personally. Even Colonel Parker complicated Elvis's life from all I can see.

I agree with you about the porch and a few musicians. Some of the sweetest sounds there are can be heard in the country air when the boys gather to play. Sweet!

Well I have been on a posting high tonight but I must call it a night and let these eyes rest some.

Sweet dreams of strings to you Sir.

Kathy

I agree with you about the porch and a few musicians.

Some of the sweetest sounds there are can be heard in the country air when the boys gather to play.

Sweet!

Absolutely!!! Nothing finer than swatting out a tune with folks you know.

(And I say that regardless of style of music).

Giving the *general populace* access to those tunes is one thing.

Hearing them come alive on your front porch,

at your own home, or in a garage somewhere,

sure-beats-the-heck-outta the *main stage*.

Humility in picking is found at home.

No room for egos there.

You'll see the other musicians in the local grocery store tomorrow,

but you'll never meet the umpteen thousand fans when you leave the gig.

Dmiller...........you said "Hearing them come alive on your front porch,

at your own home, or in a garage somewhere,

sure-beats-the-heck-outta the *main stage*."

"Humility in picking is found at home."

"Give me a front porch swing, and a coupla other musicians any day of the week"

I agree 100% not that I've ever performed on stage or anything like that but I just had the most awesome experience happen last week!!

A guy that I have come to know as a good friend who plays in a nine person band (folk, country and bluegrass), they perform all over Ontario. He invited me over a few nights ago just to hear him and one of his friends jamming together in his kitchen. He told me to bring along my mandolin and suggested maybe I could play along, i just laughed and said "Yeah right" I only know a handful of chords and this guy is quite adept at playing the guitar. Well little did I know that he had gone and invited his friend the mandolin player, when he told me, I went nuts, he knew how much I loved the mandolin !! That was the first time in my life that that I had the priviledge of sitting that close to someone who could really play the mandolin, I was totally beside myself!! Then in the middle of it all he handed me a pick and encouraged me to start playing..........I froze, it was so much for me to take in, but they started to call out different chords and I was able to join in, what a blast and I didn't sound all that bad!

Then the icing on the cake............the mandolin played handed me his mandolin and said "here you play it!!" I was totally speechless and in awe, what a beautiful sound it had, so I played around for a bit and then just wanted to hear those two playing together, they were awesome!!!! Towards the end of the evening I found out that the friend who had invited me over, his cousin happens to be Gordon Lightfoot, no wonder he can play so well (not sure if you have heard of him, but he's big up here in Canada). Then this past Monday he invited my boys and myself over to hear the whole band practising together right in his living room and kitchen, what a fanastic time!! Apparently in the summer he has a stage built in his back yard with lights and all, and they invite bluegrass, folk and country bands to come and play and have a great ole' time. So I understand when you talk about hearing them come alive on the front porch at home or in some garage, there's absolutely nothing like it!!!!

Towards the end of the evening I found out that the friend who had invited me over,

his cousin happens to be Gordon Lightfoot,

no wonder he can play so well (not sure if you have heard of him,

but he's big up here in Canada).

Gordon Lightfoot???? Naw never heard of the guy who ---

Penned the tune the Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald*,

that sailed from Duluth (my now home town), on 10 November, 1975,

and made a HUGE pile of money off of that song.

THE WRECK OF THE EDMUND FITZGERALD

by Gordon Lightfoot

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down

Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee

The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead

When the skies of November turn gloomy.

With a load of iron ore - 26,000 tons more

Than the Edmund Fitzgerald weighed empty

That good ship and true was a bone to be chewed

When the gales of November came early

The ship was the pride of the American side

Coming back from some mill in Wisconson

As the big freighters go it was bigger than most

With a crew and the Captain well seasoned.

Concluding some terms with a couple of steel firms

When they left fully loaded for Cleveland

And later that night when the ships bell rang

Could it be the North Wind they'd been feeling.

The wind in the wires made a tattletale sound

And a wave broke over the railing

And every man knew, as the Captain did, too,

T'was the witch of November come stealing.

The dawn came late and the breakfast had to wait

When the gales of November came slashing

When afternoon came it was freezing rain

In the face of a hurricane West Wind

When supper time came the old cook came on deck

Saying fellows it's too rough to feed ya

At 7PM a main hatchway caved in

He said fellas it's been good to know ya.

The Captain wired in he had water coming in

And the good ship and crew was in peril

And later that night when his lights went out of sight

Came the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Does anyone know where the love of God goes

When the words turn the minutes to hours

The searchers all say they'd have made Whitefish Bay

If they'd fifteen more miles behind her.

They might have split up or they might have capsized

They may have broke deep and took water

And all that remains is the faces and the names

Of the wives and the sons and the daughters.

Lake Huron rolls, Superior sings

In the ruins of her ice water mansion

Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams,

The islands and bays are for sportsmen.

And farther below Lake Ontario

Takes in what Lake Erie can send her

And the iron boats go as the mariners all know

With the gales of November remembered.

In a musty old hall in Detroit they prayed

In the Maritime Sailors' Cathedral

The church bell chimed, 'til it rang 29 times

For each man on the Edmund Fitzgerald.

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down

Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee

Superior, they say, never gives up her dead

When the gales of November come early.

© 1976 Moose Music, Inc.

Nope! Never heard of Gordon! :biglaugh:

(He's famous as all get out, here in the states.)

That was the first time in my life that that I had the priviledge of sitting that close to someone who could really play the mandolin, I was totally beside myself!! Then in the middle of it all he handed me a pick and encouraged me to start playing..........I froze, it was so much for me to take in, but they started to call out different chords and I was able to join in, what a blast and I didn't sound all that bad!

Amen. :) And that's where it is at. Passing on the tradition.

I've sat in many jam sessions (from beginner to advanced), and the mentality is always the same.

Get them there newbies picking, and confidant in themselves.

Shucks -- I was right where you are now, some 30 years ago.

Everyone has a starting point, and I was once at a starting point just like you are.

I've seen classical violinists pass a $10,000 violin over to a rank beginner,

so the beginner could experience a good instrument (however briefly).

I've done the same with some of my instruments as well.

It's a joy to see someone discover *hidden* capabilities within themselves.

True musicians want to pass on the heritage of whatever style they play,

rather than being wrapped up in themselves, and their *glory*.

Sounds like you found some good folks to pick with. :)

Mamie_Smith_Crazy_Blues.mp3Bessie_Smith_Muddy_Water.mp3

These are for educational purposes only. Not to be sold.

This is in no way a blues history, I'm not going to include everyone but some of the earliest and some of my

favorites.

Here are two of the earliest blues recordings. They are females. Mamie Smith 1920 and Bessie Smith 1927.

Yes the ladies started it all off (recording wise). They are a little scratchy because they are taken from 78s.

Because I'm limited in space I'm starting with two. Tomorrow the men.

How about Gordy Lightfoot, lives near me. What, oh gee I always thought is was- The Reckdum of Ella Fitzgerald.

Edited by polar bear

Aaaah Polar Bear,

That was so cool...I love the Blues. Thanks for inviting me here to hear them! I love all music. Mine spans from Rudy Valley to some of the present music today. I like Norah Jones and 50's 60's music a lot. So far I have only read the 1st 10 pages of this post....it is a very enjoyable Post.

Love You All, RainbowsGirl