socks

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I gotta go with Eddie Gomez for jazz.

Victor Wooten and Stanley Jordan for "avant gard" jazz.

Rick Reed and Bill Stuve for blues.

Making his way into the spotlight--------Steve Perakis(Sean Carney Band)-----he's been around quite awhile but is just starting to get some attention.

OOPS!------Left out Jaco Pastorius :doh:

Great choices, on the bass players! I especially like Mark Egan. "Spirit River" has always been one of my favorite albums, although older. "Ocean Views" from the Mosaic CD.

Flea's a fav - great funk stuff. Stu Hamm is another favorite of mine.

Speaking of Egan's, Walter Egan's song "Magnet and Steel". Classic tune, and has a great bass sound on it. Can't find a copy of it around, but ever notice how every few years someone does a song in that style, "the Stroll", dating back to the '50's.

I can't get past Jaco, still. Many great players since, but he had the Stuff.

What about Jack Bruce, Cream? Is he as good as he thinks. :biglaugh: ?

...Flea's a fav - great funk stuff...

...I can't get past Jaco, still. Many great players since, but he had the Stuff.

What about Jack Bruce, Cream? Is he as good as he thinks. :biglaugh: ?

Whoa there, Socks – you had to evoke the name!...Just kidding. Jack will always be one of my favorites – I think of him as one of the many forerunners of early rock – who brought their particular instrument to the foreground – inspiring musicianship I guess – so the art form started having some substance to it – and it wasn’t just about a catchy song or something you can dance to…Well, that’s my take on these giants anyway.

As far as style – I don’t prefer Jack’s style of Cream days – it works great as a featured instrument. But I’m more into the task of the bass player is to provide a strong backbone – melding the beat of the drums with the melody of the other instruments – in an interesting way that contributes to the tune but doesn’t become a distraction…Flea is amazing – I am fascinated by his technique! And Jaco was a monster for sure! I personally like Jimmy Haslip of the Yellow Jackets and Francis “Rocco” Prestia of Tower of Power. Will Lee – besides his work with Paul Shaffer, he appears on a few CDs I have – looking at his website I’m gonna have to get his solo CD OH. And of course Victor Wooten featured with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones.

I feel the same way about Bruce, T-Bone. I like that sound you describe and the role of the bass. It can do so much as both a solo and band instrument. Jack Bruce played a unique part as he came up in Cream.

Will Lee - oh yeah! The Man. He's great I think. I read a piece about him awhile back, he plays with a few others in a Beatles band, one that does killer versions of classic Beatles tunes. Would love to see and hear them!

Glad that helps, Chatty. That's a very cool video. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around how the end video is produced, but it looks ca-razee cool.

Edited by socks

I'm with you on Wootens' playing but, Hey!, we're talking about HUMANS here. I mean, check out the album covers . The cat is definately from outer space. I also wanted to include Dale Peters from James Gang (for that funk sound ) and Marc Andes from Spirit. I'm totally "wit youze guys" about a bass player serving as an I-Beam first and foremost rather than an embellishment on the facade of the building. Consider, if you will, the contributions of Willie Dixon in this respect.

Re: Jack Bruce.

I think the strength of his vocals may have been just as important as his bass work in the success of Cream.

Too many to name, really, without leaving out a key player or three.

.dictation take Tonto have and it in microphone a Plug .3000 Works Tone new my in effect reverse the of advantage taken have could I ,course Of .Print on clicked I program processor word the uninstalled I as just then – processor word my in it draft to had I – message this post to just, Why .media any in process tedious and long a is technique reversing The !Bear Polar , Math Mute of clip that posting for Thanks

Socksman,

That picture! Oh wow! Most precious to see!

Answer to the riddle.

The video was shot with the band performing in reverse, then the video was reversed.

It isn't the 4 chords that amazes me, but have you ever tried to sing a song backwards, lyrics and melody, not so easy.

Thanks PB, I forgot why I was here when I saw that picture of Socksman's.