GreaseSpot Cafe

A lifetime of Christian service

lindyhopper

How many companies or charities run basically by volunteers do you know of that ask for a LIFETIME of any sort of service?

For you old corps grads, what were you thinking that meant when you decided to go into the corps?

I think it is a rediculous thing to ask anyone of. I believe that perhaps in the early days the program was just to teach you how to serve, not full time in the ministry, but serve to some degree. I would think in those days it would have been a little easier for corps folks to decided not to serve anymore and just become a normal fellowshipper type person.

In more recent years they don't have a lot of corps. It seems everyone who is corps is a leader of tens, hundreds, etc. They all have bigger assignments. Now when someone thinks of dropping their corps status, they have a whole area that someone, somewhere else, somehow has to pick up the slack and take over. This over extends the now one or two fewer existing corps.

This just seems like a rediculous way to run anything, but especially when you are talking about your main workforce being volunteers. Now, if a corps person still wants to be in the ministry but not corps or wants to step down and out the door one step at a time, they have to consider all the stress and strain you are causing other corps people who you may care very much for. Not to mention as corps you have all your local people that you have said put your hand to the plow and blah blah blah to. To sleek away after saying that would make you look foolish and cowardly, even though the reality of leaving is the exact opposite.

But what a crazy thing to ask of someone, a LIFETIME of service in a group. Especially when the majority of corps applicants are fairly young. It is insane to think a young person won't change their mind as they get older.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd always thought the "lifetime of service" referred to making one's self available to serve GOD, not TWI. I'd thought the Corps commitment was mandatory for the 4 years of training only, then you would have access to Corps teachings and meetings for as long as you were a part of TWI. Or in my case, 2 years of training, as hubby and I made it clear that we were planning to be Recognized Family Corps. I assumed that assignments on "the field" were something you could choose to take or not, like a job recruitment.

My diploma says "Recognized Family Corps," given to me by Wierwille and M*yn*h*n at a graduation ceremony, so I guess someone thought that I had made a 2-year formal commitment and graduated from it.

But then, everything changed....

Regards,

Shaz

I'd always thought the "lifetime of service" referred to making one's self available to serve GOD, not TWI. I'd thought the Corps commitment was mandatory for the 4 years of training only, then you would have access to Corps teachings and meetings for as long as you were a part of TWI. Or in my case, 2 years of training, as hubby and I made it clear that we were planning to be Recognized Family Corps. I assumed that assignments on "the field" were something you could choose to take or not, like a job recruitment.

In the mid-70s......twi promoted the corps program as an extensive twig coordinator's training. After the inresidence training, you could choose to take assignments or refuse them. Even in their monthly Corps Household Newsletter, when yearly assignments were given to the newly graduated......many had the status of corps grad.....meaning that they did NOT take an assignment. Some went back to college, or took an internship, or whatever.

By around 1978,79......lcm ratcheted up the stakes and CHANGED THE TERMINOLOGY.

Twi didn't morph into the legalistic, regimented, elitist outfit overnight, ya know.

:dance:

Lindy Yeah that word Lifetime in the Greek it means two or four years depending on the person, only they just used the english word Lifetime to confuse everybody. Like the wizard of Oz pay no attention to that claus behind the curtain the one that said. Graduates of the Way Corps go forth to serve in areas of concern,interest and need. Where they serve depends upon the needs of the ministry.

I do think you are right it was a risky thing to ask of someone at that age in life and expect that they would honor it years later. And I'm sure as people in droves exited that the slack to pick up was massive.

Edited by WhiteDove

Lindy Yeah that word Lifetime in the Greek it means two or four years depending on the person, only they just used the english word Lifetime to confuse everybody.

I'm unfamiliar with any written contract in the Greek for the way corps,

and if you're referencing a "lifetime of service" from the Bible,

you'd better supply the CHAPTER AND VERSE.

I found the word "lifetime" in 2 places in the KJV New Testament,

and neither referred to service of any kind.

Like the wizard of Oz pay no attention to that claus behind the curtain the one that said. Graduates of the Way Corps go forth to serve in areas of concern,interest and need. Where they serve depends upon the needs of the ministry.

I do think you are right it was a risky thing to ask of someone at that age in life and expect that they would honor it years later. And I'm sure as people in droves exited that the slack to pick up was massive.

Very few people-in fact, I think it was possibly a maximum of 3-

ever said that they thought the commitment to go into the way corps-

which they PAID FOR-

translated into a lifetime of servitude, moving when twi said 'move',

living where twi said 'live', and generally hopping whenever

twi said 'frog'.

A lifetime serving God? Yes.

Having the option of taking assignments? Yes.

Lifelong servitude to the organization? No.

Maybe assisting in various capacities thru the years,

but not the slavery lcm espoused.

There was NO written contract as to that.

And if there HAD been, it would have been ridiculous to think that

someday, people wouldn't get tired of being a puppet on a string

and want autonomy.

Catcup said, concerning her time in the 6th corps,

"When I signed up for The Way Corps, TWI represented to me that I would be training for

upper leadership responsibilities that I had not yet held, and that when I graduated,

I would hold an accredited degree.

TWI misrepresented The Way Corps program specifically to those of us who went into

the 6th Corps, revealing only AFTER we were already in residence, that we would

NOT have a recognized accredited degree, and that they were training us to be

twig leaders."

When I went to corpes promos in the 80s, they said that going corpes was to help you be the spiritually BEST for God in every catagory....

The lifetime of Christian service was in every aspect of our lives....a chance to be our best representative and servant ....it wasn`t untill AFTER I had signed up that I found out that it was viewed as an oath or a committment to God...unbreakable under any circumstances....'

There was no changing our minds no changing our cricumstances ...failing in any catagory to succede in tuition/physical list/ catagory was not an option ...even if the classes required had never been offered in any state that you had ever lived in.... no matter what the circumstances.... it was viewed as having broken a vow ...LIED to God all mighty ...with consequences possibly as severe as annanias and saphira (talk about cher fine print) :rolleyes:

I am serious...the day you signed that line it gave them license to require anything of you.

I was required to move twice that year...subjected to face meltings....required at every event limb/corpes/witnessing....and it was a big suprise when I fell short with the tuition...geeze ...though I had followed all orders and done everything required ..... I just wasn`t believing God enough...

The only way to redeem my sinfull/slothfull self was to go wow in order to *grow* to the point of being spiritually *mature* enough to honor my commitment to God the following year.

GrouchoMarxJr weighed in on this one:

"...And another thing that bugged the &$*# out of me while in residence, were their bait and switch

tactics. When I signed up, I made a FOUR YEAR commitment. That was it! It was optional to take

assignments upon graduation...at least, that's what they said in WRITING! A couple of months into

the training, at Emporia, they tell us all that we have made a LIFETIME commitment to the corps!...

and if we don't 'understand THAT'...then we are 'spiritually out to lunch'.

I sat there listening to this crap, muttering under my breath that I only committed for 4 years,

getting angrier by the moment as everybody just sat there with a glazed look on their faces

saying 'yup, yup'..not me! I regret not packing my stuff up and splitting right then and there!"

I'm unfamiliar with any written contract in the Greek for the way corps,

and if you're referencing a "lifetime of service" from the Bible,

you'd better supply the CHAPTER AND VERSE.

I found the word "lifetime" in 2 places in the KJV New Testament,

and neither referred to service of any kind.

Very few people-in fact, I think it was possibly a maximum of 3-

ever said that they thought the commitment to go into the way corps-

which they PAID FOR-

translated into a lifetime of servitude, moving when twi said 'move',

living where twi said 'live', and generally hopping whenever

twi said 'frog'.

Gee WW I thought a bright person like yourself would have seen the Figure of speech Sarcasmos.

Graduates of the Way Corps go forth to serve in areas of concern,interest and need. Where they serve depends upon the needs of the ministry.

So you can explain this from the brochure on the Way Corps Program how?

Do you really think they put it there for no reason if that was not part of the program? Yeah people always put things in their information brochures that they intend you to know was not true.

Please tell me your not going to tell us about Marines again!

TWI misrepresented The Way Corps program specifically to those of us who went into

twig leaders."

Exactly, Twig Leaders for a lifetime of service in The Way. Do you know anyone else that has Twigs?

The old white Corps brochure says "A Lifetime of Christian" on the front, but like with so many other Way things, they sent out contradictory messages. The definition of "a lifetime of Christian service" was spun to make it appear most attractive, but there was plenty of information out there suggesting that "a lifetime of Christian service" did not include voluntary servitude.

Edited by Oakspear

Skyrider, on the above...

"Manipulation-mongers! They waited a couple months and then, slam-dunk our

commitment level when we are behind CLOSED DOORS and surrounded by PEER PRESSURE.

What a bunch of low-life tactics!..."

"By the early 80s...the term 'cop out' had gained legs...and had evolved to mean...

any corps person or corps grad who quit taking assignments.

Twi changed the parameters.

Now, it was a LIFETIME COMMITMENT to stand with twi.

And that labelling is still in effect to this day."

Shazdancer:

"I was committed to God long before I went into the Corps.

I signed up for Recognized Family Corps because I wanted the in-depth knowledge

that the Corps was supposedly being taught, before my husband and I were to join

Staff. We were accepted into the Corps on that basis. I still have a Recognized Corps

certificate to prove it.

Long after our in-res year, a couple of Corps leaders tried to explain to me that I

had made a lifetime committment to the Corps program-to submit to evaluations,

and go to any and all Corps meetings that were required. Silly me for requiring

them to honor their agreement with me.

I am just as committed to doing good and respecting God as I ever was, I just

don't express it in the same way that I did while in TWI."

Skyrider, on the above...

His opinion ,The printed matter provides the intent and purpose of the program it would stand over the opinion of a person . If you failed to read what was advertised then as today you are at fault. The fact that one can not read what is written does not nullify the fact that it was there to see and understand. If ya could make people understand we would not be having this conversation now would we.

Edited by WhiteDove

So...if you stopped taking assignments, but still served the body of Christ, or even TWI, by providing support, living the Christian life, teaching, helping out, or any number of ways that one could serve without accepting assignments...you were no longer participating in a "lifestime of Christian service"?

Igotout:

"What Skyrider is alluding to is that the Way Corps 'commitment' we originally made

became a 'we own you and you WILL do what we say for the rest of your lives' commitment.

And if you didn't like it then you were dropped from the Corps if not kicked out all together

from TWI. That's pure BS.

Originally back when larger groups of us were going into the Corps by the hundreds

(I was in the 7th, I believe Sky was in the 9th), it was not implied that there would be

this "dog soldier leash" around your life after you graduated. Only much later

did this become specifically stated.

Heck, I remember LCM stating one evening at a Corps meeting in Emporia...

'Not all of you can become branch leaders. Many of you need to go out and get

jobs and careers and go to college.'

Well, some of us did. Later we were resented for it. Yes it was implied that once

Corps always Corps. No prob. Think Marine Corps. You have had the training and

served your country and now you serve in society as a better man for it.

It was more promoted as another program like WOW or other such ministry

commitments. A Wow Vet was not under this short leash and control, for example,

to move every 3 years and such. Yet he is still a Wow Vet.

I still have one of the old Corps Vet tee shirts which I would bet they

discontinued in latter years.

A lifetime of Christian service? No prob...Still doing the best I can.

A lifetime of volunteer enslavement on a dog's leash?

No way, Rosie!"

WW you can post peoples opinions all day long but you at some point have to deal with the facts that consistently through the years the promotional material for the Corps program all said essentially the same thing. If it was clearly stated and it was then anyone's surprise was due to their lack of reading what they were signing up for. That's like saying I did not expect to have to fight in the army. Pretty lame......

White Dove:

Since I no longer have those brochures, is there anywhere that spells out in more detail in writing what was expected of the Way Corps?

After all, the definition of "lifetime" isn't at issue here, but that of "Christian service".

If these brochures state that "Christian service" means that Way Corps grads would be required to have their families uprooted every 3 - 5 years, provide unlimited free labor, etc. I'd come over to your side :evilshades:

All kidding aside, if you have some of the info from inside that brochure, I believe it would be germane to this discussion.

And I don't believe one can dismiss opinions, impressions, and verbal assurances. After all, many of us trusted what our leaders told us implicitly (if not, why join the way Corps?)

Please tell me your not going to tell us about Marines again!

Well, since the Marines were what vpw pretended to base the Way Corps

on, it would be a fair comparison...

Fine.

I'll go into the Army.

Specifically, the West Point Military Academy.

It's a college, with degrees like all accredited colleges.

It's four years, with college classes and military stuff.

Right in the applications and literature,

VERY PROMINENTLY,

the REQUIREMENTS are laid out SPECIFICALLY.

One,

once you are in attendance, you've a committment to all 4 years.

Two,

at the end of your training, you're committed to 4 years service

in the Army, where you start at the rank of Second Lieutenant.

Three,

If you washed out of the academy, you are STILL committed to

4 years service in the Army, where you start at the rank

of Sergeant.

Obligations and requirements are crystal-clear.

That's how SERIOUS commitments are made.

"...TWI misrepresented The Way Corps program specifically to those of us who went into

twig leaders."

Exactly, Twig Leaders for a lifetime of service in The Way. Do you know anyone else that has Twigs?

Big difference between "training to serve God a lifetime and to lead a Twig"

and

"required to lead a Twig the rest of your life",

which is how YOUR version would read.

Please be consistent.

White Dove:

Since I no longer have those brochures, is there anywhere that spells out in more detail in writing what was expected of the Way Corps?

After all, the definition of "lifetime" isn't at issue here, but that of "Christian service".

If these brochures state that "Christian service" means that Way Corps grads would be required to have their families uprooted every 3 - 5 years, provide unlimited free labor, etc. I'd come over to your side :evilshades:

All kidding aside, if you have some of the info from inside that brochure, I believe it would be germane to this discussion.

And I don't believe one can dismiss opinions, impressions, and verbal assurances. After all, many of us trusted what our leaders told us implicitly (if not, why join the way Corps?)

So...if you stopped taking assignments, but still served the body of Christ, or even TWI, by providing support, living the Christian life, teaching, helping out, or any number of ways that one could serve without accepting assignments...you were no longer participating in a "lifestime of Christian service
"?

It is clear to me that the intent of the program was clearly stated in all of the advertising. You were expected to serve in some leadership capacity in the way after graduation . As the program grew in numbers I believe that the enforcement of the intent was lessoned (grace)at least until the mass exit in the late 80s then because of the lack of people the pressure was on again I'm sure. Each year at evaluation time you had an option of requesting an assignment for the next year. I think that those were generally honored unless they felt that you were needed in some other capacity in which case you would be urged to rethink and except their request. In the end your choice! you could stay with your original plan although I doubt that would make them very happy. So yes to answer your question if that was the agreement with your evaluation with your Limb then that would be your service to the Way that year. Bear in mind that the intent of the program was leadership in at least a twig capacity so one could not do nothing for very long and not expect to get called on the carpet to what the printed intent said. Back to the topic: No matter what your choice it was expected each year that you would serve for a lifetime.

Who the he ll knew that preperation for a *life time of christian service* meant that to not complete the program was to lie to God???

Who knew that if God forbid that you decided to marry or decided once in, that you or they were found not equipped or got pregnant ... you would be breaking a vow with consequences to befall as significant as annanias and saphira?

How in the he ll would we know that in signing up for corpes for that life time of christian service that God would require that we keep the commitment at all cost right down to aborting our children???

It isn`t in there....and very few who knowing how the meaning would be changed once signed up would have ever made the unbreakable vow to God in the first place.

I think some went into the way corps like one would look at a career. With the title of clergy being the goal , many believe they have a special "gift" ministry and they are called of God in a "special manner that the people have a need for .

when you graduate law school or become a dr. you join a practice and work your way up to be what your dreams desire on any career path.

sometimes along the way.. things change,. YOu may become a tv star like Dr. PHIL.. or you may move to Africa and focus on growing trees or something life can take many paths.

but they are still lawyers in the state they are licensed and still DR. of a particular study. they still have the education to do what they trained for.

I do think in fact many thought they would be in the way forever.. it was like climbing the ladder in a organization allowing them a better more sought after position.

but the company failed in many regards and with that the ladder fell apart.. and so did the career ladder as no other organization recognizes the work put in or the education .

sad.

with God ?? that is the part I do not get God doesnt require any degrees to serve. (as a little child)

why did the corps grads think God wanted them to go into the training?

to learn the word?

again I am back to the fact the way thinks they own the bible and all it must mean ... I do not believe they do . I believe God gives us holy spirit to learn what we must to SERVE HIM.

I was witnessed to by guy leaving to go into the corps.. he is in ohio still, he is divorced and not in contact with his family totaly comminted to doing the corps thing.

again how does anyone think this is right? twi comes first.. how does God work with a servant like that? seems rebellous to me.

I thought when I first learned of this program that the folks must want to be with twi as a career path... i saw many give up a good life and actualy compromise the health and wealth of the family going into the corps.

it was like a competition at the time of who could get more respect or entitled from "the way". I think many thought it was a life time with the way organization making God stuck in the box with them. He isnt.

very litttle to do with serving God if you ask me. I saw that day one .

and the fact so many left or are now doing nothing other than what they could have done without the wasted time in the corps, kind of proves my point.

It wasn`t presented to us as a *career* choice ...but as a way to be our best servant for God in whatever endeavor we embarked on.

Martindale at the roa corpes promo touted it as THE best way to be OUR best for God....the crap about positions wasn`t ever addressed.

We just thought that we would learn to best serve/represent God :(

Our pure intentions got us there and once in...we found out that the definitions had all changed....I like Groucho, wish that I had left when I realised what was really being required....but by then we were made to feel honor bound to observe what we were then told that we had committed/vowed to God to complete.

White Dove: