GreaseSpot Cafe

"The Cleanse"

Okay, all you health "nuts" icon_wink.gif;)-->!

I've been wanting to do a cleanse of some sort, cuz I keep getting "the Itchies" on both my arms. (There is no rash, it's just itchy and is driving me nuts!)

I had this once before when I'd gotten poison ivy and it went systemic. I was itchy for three months! ARRRRRGGGHHH! The Dr's had me on cortisone three times, antibiotics, etc. What cured it was a five-day fast/cleanse with herbal supliments.

What I have been seeing in health stores is a cleanse you can do while still eating food. It doesn't have a zillion pills to swallow a day, every hour and a half, and whatever else the cleanse that was so popular in TWI had.

Does it work?

Also, I read an ad that was promoting it's mail-order cleanse that was to be done for one to three months, and it was supposed to get rid of parasites that supposedly everyone has, due to the way foods are processed nowadays. It was really expensive and I figured probably only partly true. But can ya give me your take on it? Thanks!

gosh psalmie talking about cleanse reminds me of the colon cleanse a lot of us went on in twi. Brings back fond memories icon_razz.gif:P-->

Ok!! I will not try to be a nice person...ok? I will not!!

Your skin's dry because you're not eating enough saturated fats. I prescribe three slices of bacon daily, with a Moon Pie chaser. And make sure you eat at least four cheeseburgers a week.

For God's sake, stay away from SALAD. Killed more people than tobacco...

The fool hath said in his heart, "PFAL is the Word of God..."

Psalmie you should call 1800 HerbDoc. Ask them for a catalog. (their free)The guy, Richard Schulze or something like that, is a real fanatic but he's got excellent stuff. I think herbal uses his stuff in fact.

babyrott60percent.gif

...Ain't no grave, gonna hold this body down..when I hear that trumpet sound...

p

Richard Schulze is excellent. Listen to Rottie.

There is an excellent called "Ultimate Cleanse" by Nature's Secret. Real simple. Just follow instructions on box.

Excessive itching can be a sign of a systemic yeast infection(candidiasis). It is a result of antibiotics killing all the good bacteria in the intestines. And eating too much sugar and refined carbs.

Go to a search engine and type in Candidiasis to learn more. It is very common. Other symptoms include poor disgestion, bad memory, skin problems, fatigue, coated tongue and tons more.

I am working on getting rid of it right now.

Must eat no sugar, yeast(bread, except yeast free), no refined carbs, low carbs in general, no fruit(sugar).

It's tough, but can be done with commitment.

You also may want to go to a search engine and type in "Natural treatment for candidiasis".

Proud to be an American

www.pullingdownstrongholds.com

www.anncoulter.org

musical%20teddy%20Bear.jpg

I agree w/ chwester Ultimate Cleanse is great.

Seth

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--- that principle is contempt prior to investigation." ~~~ Herbert Spencer

About Paul C. Bragg, N.D. Ph.D.

Lecturer and Advisor to Olympic Athletes, Royalty and Stars.

Life Extension Nutritionist, Author of 22 Health Books, World Health Crusader, Originator of Health Food Stores and Founder of the Health Movement

For almost a Century, Living Proof that his "Health and Fitness Way of Life" Works Wonders!

Paul C. Bragg: Father of America's Health Movement.

This dynamic Crusader for worldwide health and fitness is responsible for more firsts in the history of Health than any other individual.

Here are some of Bragg's Amazing Pioneering Achievements that the World Now Enjoys:

Bragg originated, named and opened the first Health Food Store in America. Now they are around the world.

Bragg Crusades pioneered the first Health Lectures throughout America, inspiring followers to open health stores in cities across the land. Giants such as General Nutrition Centers, Nature Food Centers, Mrs. Gooch's and hundreds of other stores give their thanks to Bragg's early inspiration to their founders.

Dr. Bragg and Bernarr Macfadden opened the first Health Spa, which soon became the new Miami Beach. "Macfadden's Deauville" became the 'in' spot for the famous and even to Royalty from around the world.

He opened the first Health Restaurants. During the depression years in New York City they served millions of healthy meals for a penny each. Bragg Books and Crusades inspired health followers to open Health Restaurants - The Good Earth and others.

He was the first to pioneer for pure water and made millions aware of its importance. Through his efforts with the Bragg Health Crusades and the Bragg Water Book - Water - The Shocking Truth That Can Save Your Life - now bottled water is available worldwide. Your body is 65% water, and water (8 glasses of distilled water daily) is the needed key to all bodily functions.

He introduced Juice Therapy in America by importing the first hand-juicers from Germany. He was the inspiration to Jay Kordich the Juiceman.

Bragg introduced his new idea, pineapple juice, then later tomato juice, to the American public. These were erroneously thought to be too acid. These health beverages have now become favorite of millions worldwide.

He was the first to introduce and distribute honey nationwide. Before that, it was available only at farmers' roadside stands. He inspired millions to give up white sugar for honey and replace white flour products with healthy whole grain flours.

Bragg pioneered Radio Health Programs from Hollywood three times daily.

Paul and his daughter Patricia pioneered a Health TV show from Hollywood to spread "Health and Happiness"...the name of the show! It included exercises, health recipes, visual demonstrations and guest appearances by famous, health-minded people.

He worked with Luther Burbank in California to develop new varieties of healthful, organically-grown fruits and vegetables.

He pioneered and made available nationwide the first health foods: herbal teas, health beverages, seven-grain cereals and crackers, health cosmetics, health candies, calcium, vitamins and mineral supplements, wheat germ, digestive enzymes from papaya, herbal and kelp seasonings and liquid amino acids from soybeans. He inspired others to follow suit... Schiff, Thompson, Twin Labs, Shaklee, Herbal Life, Gardenburger and hundreds of others. Now there are thousands of health items available through hundreds of companies and thousands of stores worldwide. The health food industry found strength in joining together with the National Nutritional Foods Association Bragg founded.

He inspired millions to "go organic" in their gardening...

Paul C. Bragg's Pledge... was Fulfilled during a Lifetime of Dedication

Ravaged by TB as a teenager, Bragg developed his own eating, breathing and exercising program to rebuild his body into an ageless, tireless, pain-free citadel of glowing, radiant health. Bragg became an outstandingly strong athlete, excelling in running, swimming, biking, tennis, progressive weight training and mountain climbing. He was the original triathlete of sports, and the 600 page Bragg Bible of Health & Fitness was inspired into being by Bragg's enthusiastic athletic abilities and endurance, which were admired and respected by athletes worldwide!

Dr. Bragg made an early pledge to God, when near death, that if he recovered he would become a Health Crusader and share the health message with the world... Dr. Bragg made good his pledge! He has inspired millions to follow the Bragg Healthy Life-style.

A living legend and beloved counselor to millions, Bragg was the inspiration and personal advisor on diet and fitness to top Olympic Stars from 4-time swimming Gold Medalist Murray Rose to 3-time track Gold Medalist Betty Cuthbert of Australia, his relative Don Bragg (pole-vaulting Gold Medalist), and countless other champions. The Hulk, Lou Ferrigno, went from puny to super shape. Ageless Jack LaLanne, the original TV "King of Fitness," says, "Bragg saved my life at age 15 when I attended the Bragg Crusade in Oakland, California." From the earliest days, Bragg was advisor to the greatest Hollywood Stars - Gloria Swanson, Bob Cummings, Clint Eastwood, the Beach Boys - and to giants of American Business. J. C. Penney, Del E. Webb, Dr. Scholl and Conrad Hilton are just a few who he inspired to long, successful, healthy, active lives! Dr. Bragg and his daughter Patricia have changed the lives of millions worldwide in all walks of life with the Bragg Health Crusades, Books, Tapes, Radio and TV appearances.

Hey 71,

This dude died in a surfer accident at age 97, i thinks. He was surfing at this age... some sufer had a board not tied to his leg, and the damn thing hit Dr. Bragg in the head. Ya gotta read his stuff. I'm telling ya... his words of life has given me health many a time.

icon_cool.gif

[This message was edited by TheSongRemainsTheSame on August 06, 2003 at 0:24.]

Chwester -

I had a major problem with candidiasis for a few months.

I was able to get rid of it by eating cultured yogurt and acidophilus capsules - I would add the acidophilus to the yogurt.

What that amounted to was re-introducing friendly bacteria to my system, which crowded out the candida albicans.

Sounds good Steve.

I am doing that now. Sounds like you had a mild case if all you needed was acidiophilus. I dont mean it didnt cause you problems, but sometimes it takes a lot more to get rid of it.

Sounds like you have a strong constitution. And that you dont eat much sugar.

Proud to be an American

www.anncoulter.org

A PAPA JOHN'S Pizza...........with as many toppings as you like

A few cold beers

and a dip in the hot tub (with a loved one)...........ususlly does the trick

NOTE: If no hot tub is available, use your imagination

The next day your tummy will be satisfied with food and drink

The hot tub experience should be kept private

Oh, yeah.............did I mention that a good, old fashioned food fight does wonders?

Zixar, Strange-Dude, and Wasway, I Like yer thinking!!! LOL! okay, that's it, all salad's out the door!!heeheehee!

Actually, I think Firebee has the best idea! woohooo!

Seriously, thanks to all of you with your suggestions!

Dot, when I had the poison ivy I even did the Tea Tree Oil stuff-- but by that time, my skin was so "oversensitized", it just made me itchier!

Rottie and Chwester, does this Richard Schulze have a website? (guess I could do a search, too huh?) LOL! Thank for the number, Rottieggrl

And Chwester, I'll look for the

Ultimate Cleanse product, thank you.

I will look up the candidiasis, also, but of the list of symptoms, fatigue is the only other of those that i have frequently, and the itchiness is only on my forearms.

I WAS on a lot of antibiotics last winter--frequent ear infections, swollen glands, etc, twice i was put on antibiotics for almost a month. (yes, I had tried Echinacea, galic, etc, but my system was so down that I was coming down with something every 2-3 weeks). I've not had any ear-nose-thraot infection since last April--since I started a nasal spray-

- Rhinocort.

I did start an acidolphilus treatment for awhile, those "pearls". mebbe that helped, too?

(Was taking it daily for a month, now take it about every third day, or so)

SRTS, what an amazing guy! SURFING? wow!!!!

I think I'll look up his book, myself.

Do any of ya think there is any truth to the claim that "many of us have parasites that we don't even know we have. . . ", that this ad I read was saying? (Wondering cuz when I eat steak, I do eat it rare, and I don't always buy organicly grown veggies, etc) I know ya have to take a lot of this advertising with a grain of salt, but this dude brought up some interesting stuff

Yes, many people have parasites. And these cause a huge list of problems. I know a colon therapist who puts her patients on a parasite cleanse either before or at the same time they do a candida cleanse. If you have any pets, you have parasites. You should check out www.renewlife.com

Proud to be an American

www.anncoulter.org

The Cleanse was a BAD idea, and let me tell you why.

Back when I was a skeptical baby herbalist, I asked ALOT of questions concerning the WISDOM used in employing the cleanse. Dr. Christopher taught us that natural therapies can warm you or burn the house down. My experience was people sickened, weakened and miserable. I was told that this was necessary as the toxins were released.

Look, if you ain't terminal-you have the TIME to do a cleanse the CORRECT way. It won't be half as uncomfortable. It will be more effective and the method of coming off the cleanse is as important as doing the cleanse itself.

I like the posts about Dr. Schulze.

Once again, though, much of these posts cover only part of the story. More and more I am seeing how herbs and natural therapies are taking a negative hit because they are being employed in a way as the posts reflect. Every body is different. Not one size fits all.

So you come to the masterherbalist and you say I got a bad case of poison ivy. I have A LOT of questions. Besides your dietary review, I want to know what medications you are taking; how long do you normally have a cold or the flu?

There is alot more here than just take an herb. Although cortizone can be beneficial used sparingly, it really silences the very immune response that is saving your life. It doesn't take away the cause-just masks the symptoms.

I agree with masterherbalist. Don't go for something designed for the masses.

After years of going to MDs and getting only RXs designed to elminiate the sympton and nothing to rebuild the body I decided to take a different path. I tried reading books, determining my problem with all kinds of self tests and finally went to a naturopath.

In the past 15 years I have been to 3 different naturopaths. The first one ran her practice just like an MD. Make an appointment, see her for 10 minutes and walk out with medications to take care of the symptom. She never once spent more than 15 minutes with me to find out my history. She was referred to me by a friend.

Second one hooked me up to a computer to test me for food allergies. Gave me a 6 page list of things to never eat, things to eat 72 hours apart, things to each 48 hours apart and things I could eat whenever. She never questioned me about my symptoms, history or mental health. She was referred to me by the first naturopath, which could be why she didn't get into my history. She specialized in gastrointestinal problems.

Third one I picked out of the yellow pages because she had only a post office box and no big ad. Before she would even consider taking me on as a patient, she sent me a 20 page questionaire that had to be completed within a week and returned to her. She took 1 week to read the questionaire before she called me to set up an appointment.

The first appointment was 2 hours long. She took tons of notes, asked lots of questions and asked me what direction I wanted to take with my health (mental and physical) and how long I was willing to take to work on things. If I wanted a quick fix, she could give me things to elminiate the symptoms but she left it up to me to decide whether I wanted to really get myself healthy from the inside out or not.

She spends time between visits researching to find just the right thing to help me with my goal of being fit by 50. (I am not as faithful between visits -- I tend to fall away from the plan when I start seeing improvements.)

One of the first things I asked her about 3 years ago was going on a cleanse to detox myself. She warned me that doing a detox or cleanse when your immune system is weak is not a good idea. We have been slowly building to the point of a detoxification diet for me in 1 more year. And to be honest, I am not sure I will be ready to see what comes out of my system after all those years of abuse.

I applaud you on your courage to come forth here and ask for help but ... I hope you find a solution than just somthing to take care of the surface symptom with a quick fix.