GreaseSpot Cafe

Why VPW Taught What He Did

templelady

For me this has ceased to be a doctrinal issue as much as a "VPW did this for what" issue?? ...................................................I think about PFAL and the more I see and am reminded of these kinds of twisted teachings, along with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight , the more I come to believe that VPWs primary goal was not so much teaching the Bible as it was in figuring out how to get scripture to say what he needed it to say to justify his behavior: behavior which other threads have shown to be of long standing and in place before PFAL was ever conceived

I posted this on the manifestations thread. So now my question to all of you is--

In VPWs teachings when he deviated from orthodoxy in significant ways, did that departure give, if not actual support at least an out, to justify his on going behavior?

In VPWs teachings when he taught the Bible was correct as written, did that agreement, while not out and out condoning his behavior at least not out and out condemn it either?

I would like to confine this to his actual teachings from the Bible (PFAL) and his (VPWs) teachings not LCMs

I has taken me a long time to reach that conclusion above, but the more I read and ponder the more I face the awful, even from my perspective, possibility that TWI never was about the Bible but about validation for VPWs lifestyle.

This is not about TWI doctrine in the sense of proving or disproving its validity

Edited by templelady

Every time I think about pfal, I think about how vpw opened it up with the statement that it is not a class about the bible, but a class about how to read the bible.

Then I think about 4 crucified, 'my god, my god, for this purpose was I spared', the church of the navelites, 'today (no comma)' v 'today, (comma)', 'became' void v 'was' void, 'manifestations' v 'gifts', 'administrations', 'tree' v 'cross', hands above Jesus' head on a tree v spread out on a cross, 'virgin birth' v 'virgin conception', and all the little 'nuances' that pfal honed in on...and drew our thinking towards...and caused us to actively divide the scriptures into nice little packages that stood by themselves instead of as a part of the whole picture...

And I can't help but to realize that the purpose was just that...

To keep us from seeing the whole picture.

Why would anybody want to keep others from seeing the whole picture?

So that others would never see the truth...

Of anything.

Was it done to justify vpw's behavior?

I think it was done to keep us from even looking at his behavior.

Why justify something that isn't even seen?

Just imo...

I posted this down in "Mikeland" but thought it fit here as well:

In my opinion, PFAL (veepee) didn't so much teach me how to read and understand the Bible, it taught me that what the other religions were teaching me was wrong and that what veepee (and TWI) were teaching me was right.

PFAL (again JMO) was a class presented under the guise of "unlocking the Bible" but really was just a way to indoctrinate us into TWI and away from the other religions.

And if someone believed what was taught, yeah, that was probably the case.

You believed it, so what is the problem? You allowed it in your life. Pretty hard to blame someone else for that isn't it?

You or I could have walked away anytime.

Sometimes I did. At varying points in my twi stint, I didn't go to twig for months at a time...

In VPWs teachings when he taught the Bible was correct as written, did that agreement, while not out and out condoning his behavior at least not out and out condemn it either?

This is not about TWI doctrine in the sense of proving or disproving its validity

Depends on what behavior you are talking about.

His godly behavior that produced real fruit seems like it would agree with PFAL.

On the other hand I can't find anything in PFAL that would condone adultery, heck that may have been surmised by some, but wasn't taught in PFAL.

He should have made an emphasis of it in Christian Family & Sex.

One man, one woman just wasn't enough, obviously.

OM you are :offtopic:

you are not going to make a shambles of this thread like you do so many others. This isn't about what we believed or why we stayed its about whether VPW confined himself to taechings that either 1-gave him some measure of justification for his "activities and/or 2 didn't specifically preclude his "activities"

try to derail again and see how fast I find that moderator button, clear??? :nono5:

We now return to the topic at hand

Templelady Posted:

In VPWs teachings when he deviated from orthodoxy in significant ways, did that departure give, if not actual support at least an out, to justify his on going behavior?
Without doctrinal examples, its hard to say. But as far as that goes PFAL itself doesn't seem to openly condone things like abuse and adultry. His main deviations from "orthodoxy" were those on the trinity and concerning the dead being alive and a few others. I don't see where these attempted to justify his behavior. It was more his private teachings that seem to justify the ungodly behavior stuff like "you'll never be able to serve God people until you loosen up sexually". Possibly the one where the king owns all the women in the kingdom might apply here: -- VPW wrote in PFAL:

There are many examples of correction in the

Bible. Take David, for instance. David was off the

ball. He found beautiful Bathsheba and then had her

husband shot while in the front lines of battle so that

he, David, could have Bathsheba as his wife. A few

people knew about the sequence of events leading to

David’s marriage, but nobody had a right to say any-

thing because
David was king and every woman in the

kingdom was technically the property of the king or

belonged to the king.
(PFAL p.86)

To make a good case that this teaching was an attempt to condone his beahvior, we then have to show where VPW taught that he was some kind of king and entitled to to same things he supposed David "technically" possesssed. Hard task.

On the other hand, I would point out that VPW called David "off the ball" instead of that he committed adultery and murder. The scripture says that David was "doing evil" . As far as VPW goes was to say that David "had Uriah killed " -- Later VPW writes:

The moment David said, “Let me know who it is,”

Nathan said, “You are the man.” At that moment

David recognized the truth of what Nathan was

bringing from God and David said, “Well, I am

sorry.” He turned to God and asked God to forgive

him. Then it says in the Word of God that David was

a man after God’s own heart. He was not after God’s

heart when he was out
fooling around
with Bathsheba

and having Uriah killed; no, but when he was back in

line, David was a man after God’s own heart.
When

we rightly divide The Word and we walk in the power

of it – then we are men and women after God’s own

heart.
(PFAL p.87)

Here VPW says David was "fooling around" with Bathsheba. This might give some insight into what VPW thought of adultery. He seems to minimize Davids sin. In Nathan's parable to David, Bathehseba is the analogous to the lamb who the rich man "butchered". VPW calls it "fooling around." The scripture says David "took her".

Then VPW makes it appear like David simply asked God to forgive him and then instantly he was a "man after God's own heart". Here we might see a glimpse of how VPW saw sin, and how to then get back right with God. Just ask God to forgive you then "rightly divide The word and walk in the power of it". This teaching fails miserably and completely misses the mark. Among other things it omits godly sorrow, contrition, and the consequences of sin. Compare VPW's teaching to the link below.

http://www.case-studies.com/biblestudies/david1.htm

I think VPW's foundation was weak. He approached this section of the Bible with preconcieved ideas about sin and restoration along with misapplying "rightly dividing the word" . And that led him to miss the point and make an eronous conclusion. But I doubt that he intentionally misinterpreted this scripture to justify his own sins. He probably thought he was right.

It would seem so.

Edited by Goey

To simplify things I would have to say doctrine influences behavior - in other words your belief system winds up being a guidance system or rules for faith and PRACTICE...And with that in mind I mentioned elsewhere [TWI's God thread]

http://www.greasespotcafe.com/ipb/index.ph...ndpost&p=218781 and

http://www.greasespotcafe.com/ipb/index.ph...ndpost&p=230239

of the similarities between VPW's theology and Gnosticism - the two main items being: holding knowledge in ultra high regard - to the point of reason being superior to faith [becoming super Bible jocks, proud, holding keys to the Word's interpretation, elitism] and separating matter and spirit - to the point where [since matter is evil and spirit can't sin] it didn't matter what you did in the flesh.

If it catches on TWI could be referred to as the New Knoxville Gnostics.

Edited by T-Bone

Thanks, Goey - between you and Belle giving me some feedback - I wasn't aware of how bad it was. Tonto kept telling me "do it so people can read it" - I figured that meant bigger letters and more color!

Thanks, Goey - between you and Belle giving me some feedback - I wasn't aware of how bad it was. Tonto kept telling me "do it so people can read it" - I figured that meant bigger letters and more color!

Jes goes to show ya 'bout trustin Injuns .....

Mo, I still have all my TWIt stuff save the things that my ex took, which were his to begin with.

I don't have time to go through it right now, but this week-end I'll dig it out. I have a few ideas off the top of my head, but don't have the quotes to back it up and it could very well be CRS creeping up on me, so I'll wait till I can look it up. :)

I think there's been some good points made so far on this thread...

...It seems to me that the doctrine he taught was the doctrine that he found to be "most comfortable" for himself and his lifestyle...His Christian Family and Sex seminar was not only a joke, but was most revealing when it came to his sexual attitudes.

His insistance on "informing" all of his "kids" about current sexual slang was not necessary at all. He seemed to enjoy it immensely...HIs "virteous woman" teaching was the height of hypocracy...he put his own wife into a posistion of humiliation by committing adultry and totally disregarded his wedding vows...

So what is it? Some of teachings, his behavior was just the opposite of what he taught...while there were other times when he bended the scriptures to justify his own actions. This would indicate that at times, he knew his behavior was sinful and wrong while at other times, he rationalized that he was right...In either case, the man was a severe egomaniac...narcisstic and insecure. The lusts of his flesh were always just under the surface...

...How much of what he taught was designed to justify his action can be debated, but it seems certain that there was much of it that he tailor made to fit his hedonistic lifestyle, his desire to "bed down" young girls, be the mog and control people's lives and of course...generate huge amounts of revenue into the twi bank account...that's why we call him GRIFTER VIC.

Geesh..I don't know about others but I'd feel a bit 'uncomfortable' throwing stones VPs' way in the name of errant doctrine whilst sitting in the middle pew of another church that was just as ( if not more ) 'outlandish' in departure from 'orthodox' teaching.

(hope Belles still got me on ignore) !!

p.s. And you can't hit the moderator button on this one because I've put duct tape over it , so there !!

Geesh..I don't know about others but I'd feel a bit 'uncomfortable' throwing stones VPs' way in the name of errant doctrine whilst sitting in the middle pew of another church that was just as ( if not more ) 'outlandish' in departure from 'orthodox' teaching.

(hope Belles still got me on ignore) !!

p.s. And you can't hit the moderator button on this one because I've put duct tape over it , so there !!

Allan,

Let me give you a little hint...

The biggest problem with what you're saying is this: GSCafe is not an "ex-Mormon" site. GSCafe is not an "ex-Catholic" site. GSCafe is not an "ex-Hindu" site. It's not "ex-JW, ex Wicca, ex-Southern Baptist, ex-Hari Krishna."

GSCafe is an ex-TWI site.

The reason why you're p1ssing so many folks off is not necessarily that folks want to defend LDS theology. With the exception of Mo, I don't think anybody would. The problem is that, from all appearances, Mo seems to be a nice lady. And the comments are out-of-scope for this site...particularly when they are brought in on threads where they are completely out of context.

I mean, if you want to start a thread where folks can dog out LDS theology as un-Christian and dog out LDS leadership for being cult leaders, I don't know if folks would respond or not, but at least it would be in the correct context. The thread would be about "what's wrong with LDS."

There's a little difference between your bashing Mo's beliefs and the anti-Catholic stuff that happens: most of the anti-Catholic stuff is from folks who were Catholics as children and who had bad experiences. Is your constant bashing of her beliefs because you are an ex-LDS? Because if that were the case, it would be a h3ll of a lot more understandable than just coming out of the blue.

Just a helpful hint...

Thank You Mark

Allan, Dear as I see it

A You can not post to this thread

B you can post to this thread and stay on topic

C You can go to the basement and resurrect the LDS thread or start one like Mark suggested and I'll meet you there

E A and C

F B and C

G none of the above

Some of the things I've been thinking about

"Our Father in the Word"

Man of God for Our Day and Time

Present Truth

The Infamous comma (we ceased, saying the will of the Lord be done vs We ceased saying the will of the Lord be done)

I don't know about others but I'd feel a bit 'uncomfortable' throwing stones VPs' way in the name of errant doctrine whilst sitting in the middle pew of another church that was just as ( if not more ) 'outlandish' in departure from 'orthodox' teaching

The issue isn't whether the teachings were orthodox

the issue is Did VPW teach what he did to get scripture to, if not tally with his lifestyle, at least not out and out condemn it.

But then I already said that at the beginning.

I would be interested in any thoughts you have On THE TOPIC

Oh..o.k. I don't think he taught Jesus Christ is not God, the dead are not alive, the nine manifestations, hell is not a place of eternal torment, the Holy Spirit and the holy spirit, the four crucified, J.C. our passover, etc...etc... for any ulterior motives except maybe at times to BE controversial (which is often good for publicity).

He could have taken the 'easy road' and stayed with the 'orthodox' type beliefs. As some of you said, he was charismatic enough to pull it off anyway.

Maybe in hindsight he should have taught on polygamy, which would have kept a lot of 'smouldering' crotches satisfied, but I don't think he believed that was 'scriptural' !

i dont know exactly what orthodox beliefs are, so i cant say how far they deviate, but I am surprised that no one has brought up the teachings on righteousness, sanctification and justification where the wierwille believer is mostly a passive receiver without hardly any involvement in the process. No matter how out to lunch or how despicable you are ---one *ZAP* and you are righteous and all is forgotten--he also did away with any final judgement of any kind which erases any need for any great degrees of personal responsibility.

There was really no need to reform any sort of bad character traits, they didnt matter -they were paid for--, just teach a twig and stack on another reward