GreaseSpot Cafe

Memo from Phil Cooper

satori001

"It doesn't matter whether you're selling Jesus or Buddha or civil rights or 'How to Make Money in Real Estate With No Money Down.' That doesn't make you a human being; it makes you a marketing rep. If you want to talk to somebody honestly, as a human being, ask him about his kids. Find out what his dreams are - just to find out, for no other reason. Because as soon as you lay your hands on a conversation to steer it, it's not a conversation anymore; it's a pitch. And you're not a human being; you're a marketing rep."

If I took that advice in 1979, I'd be knocking on stranger's doors, waking them up on a Sunday morning to ask them about their kids and what their dreams are.

Still wouldn't have worked.

HAHA

If there's one thing I don't miss, other than abuse, giving my money away and not thinking for myself...it's WITNESSING.

"you ough ta try it

yeah yeah

God's not gonna deny it

I know he won't

you ough ta try it

yeah yeah

let your spirit sing

door to door

witnessing

door to DOOOOOOOOOOR

witnessing"

New Horizons

PS marketing reps ARE human beings. In fact they are humans being.

Edited by Georgio Jessio

I always thought that the people who "liked to go witnessing", were a little "strange"...

...most loathed it (including me). Going door to door was the worst. It was always the event to be dreaded the most..."marketing rep" is a polite term compared to what we really were doing...humiliating ourselves in order to pimp out Wierwille's stolen class and make him rich.

I've always hate-hate-hated it when someone is giving me a pitch.

After we had been out of twi for a couple of years I was contacted by another ex-twi person who had gotten into A mway. Back in waydaze she had been a wonderful, warm-hearted person. She bought into this money-making scheme wholeheartedly. I guess she figured she had one heck of a warm market with all the ex-twits. In what would be our last conversation I told her that I would love to hear about her life and her family and I would be happy to tell her all about mine, but I had no interest in A mway...not then and not ever, and if she was interested in friendship...I was there, but I wouldn't be a client. Never heard from her again...

This whole topic makes me wonder...was there a higher proportion of people with "user" mentality drawn to twi? I know the world is full of users, but still...

LOVE that quote, Satori! Strangely (or not) that attitude made me unpopuler with most Twiter's. If there's one thing that Twit's seem to discourage, it was that human connection. We were HUMAN BEINGS, and it got lost somewhere.

I'm not even talking about witnessing techniques-I'm talking about relationships crushed while one was "coming up" within the organization. "No friends when it comes to the Word". Well, that makes no room for humanity, huh?

Found that out several times along the "Way"....especially when I left, tried to reconnect, and got treated like last weeks garbage.

Sorry-just ranting.

the only thing that matters is your hearts motivation.

if you were witnessing because your twig (hfc) leader told you too, not because you wanted to, then its a job. If you witnessed because YOU wanted to at that time, and YOU wanted to help that person, i believe God will honor that no matter what church you go to.

Umm .. witnessing ranked right up there with caravans in my book. I also would manage to find *some* reason why I couldn't attend twig on witnessing nights. To this day I don't know how I pulled it off that many times and got away with only a butt chewing when they saw me next. LOL.

O:-)

No need to point out that rust on my halo, I ran out of halo cleaner. There's a sale coming up at Halo's R Us next week and I plan on getting more.

Nothing wrong with preaching the gospel ... in fact it's downright noble. If that's a form of pitching Jesus as you may call it, it certainly is sanctioned in the scriptures.

Preaching the gospel is one thing, harrasing people is another. Most of the people I introduced to TWI and who became invovled (Oh man I owe them all an apology) were attracted to the general positive atmosphere of the way home/wow home or they were curious about the Bible and I offered some answers or their life was a mess and I was there to help.

We also did well with Coffee houses, where we had music and skits in a public place and the people who werte interested CAME TO US! Go figure.

Going doort to door and stopping people at the mall almost never worked. Let your life be a witness, no need to harass people.

Door to door works. Look at the Jehovahs Witnesses.

... so why aren't you a Jehovah's Witness?

But seriously, I wouldn't use them as a model of door-to-door if I were you. Their numbers aren't all that big, and the vast majority of people (including yours truly) who were approached by them have a hostile attitude regarding them. :realmad:

I confess to being one of those people who talks to random strangers anywhere I go. It's surprising to me, how many people really need help with what they are doing, and don't mind a conversation.

Example: Today, I took my daughter to the DPS, Department of Public Safty, to get her driver's license. That's where you go in TX, I know it's different in other states. Was waiting in line with a guy who is new to the state, and he was mystified about what ya gotta do here, to get your stuff situated. (We had to stand in line together for 2 hours.)

I was able to give him some hints, about such things as: where ya gotta to get stuff done here. (too many things, too numerous to metnion.) He was very appreciative, and gave me his business card and offered to take my and family out to dinner because he doesn't know anybody, and appreciates the friendliness of daughter and moi. And we gave him some good info, about gettin himself situated.

I didn't "witness" to him, that was the farthest thing from my mind, but I think I helped him. And whether or not I ever see him again, I don't really care. There is something really freeing about being able to talk to people, help them with info, and not care if you ever see them again. ;)