GreaseSpot Cafe

Jon Benet Ramsey Suspect Arrested in Thailand

Pirate1974

BOULDER, Colo. - A man suspected in the slaying of 6-year-old beauty queen JonBenet Ramsey nearly a decade ago was arrested Wednesday in Thailand, the district attorney said in the long-awaited breakthrough in one of the nation's most lurid unsolved murder cases.

District Attorney Mary Lacey said the arrest followed several months of work. She disclosed no details about the suspect before a news conference scheduled for Thursday.

CBS reported that he is a 41-year-old second-grade teacher and will be brought back to the United States this weekend. Federal officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the man was already being held in Bangkok on unrelated sex charges.

Ramsey family attorney Lin Wood said in Atlanta that the arrest was vindication for JonBenet's parents, John and Patsy Ramsey, who came under suspicion in the slaying.

I'm with you on that, Cool! Anyone who followed this case couldn't help but be haunted by the tragic circumstances.

One thing that was reported was that Patsy Ramsey was made aware of the suspect and potential arrest before her death. If that is true, we can only hope it brought her some measure of peace.

It will be interesting when and if the facts come out, and if this man is proven to be the monster, to compare those facts with the theories trumped up by law enforcement and the media about Patsy Ramsey's supposed involvement.

All that can be hoped for is that this brings some measure of peace to the Ramsey family, and that the media once again can learn a lesson about becoming judge and jury while reporting any story. Of course, that may be too much to ask. (All due respect to our fellow GSC journalists, of course!)

Edited by topoftheworld

Here in Colorado, this comes as great relief. For those of us who never did believe the commonly held theory that Patsy had killed her daughter herself, it comes with a special satisfaction. Rest in peace Jonbenet and Patsy, and may John and his son enjoy their hard won, and expensively faught for, vindication.

~HAP

He was also accused of sexual misconduct iwith a child n Thialand

Maybe he confessed to get out of the country. I would rather be in a USA jail than one in Thialand.

Then, he can get here and prove he wasn't in Colorodo.....

Who knows.

I just never thought the parents did it, such a cool hand to write the note after murdering your child? Never really could see that...

As far as why it took so long, Act2, the Boulder police seriously botched the original investigation, and IMO focused solely on her parents, letting the real perp get away. Boulder has a new DA since the original crime. She mended some fences between the DA office and police. She then reopened the case, and has solicited appropriate investigative help. She is highly thought of in her field, especially in regards to sexual assault cases.

I think everyone here in the Boulder area are anxious for an explanation of the discrepancy regarding his "opportunity" to do it. (Could he have been here in colorado at the time) We will have to wait.

There are at least two other issues to think about. Mr. Karr has said he drugged Jon Benet. It has never been revealed by the police that this was the case. Perhaps the police kept this confidential in order to have a backup in case there was ever a confession like yesterday's.

Secondly, DNA was collected from under the girl's fingernails, which did not match any of her family, or other known contacts. If Karr's DNA matches, it should go along way to proving this case. May he rest in agony if he did it.

Also, if these two items do prove to be the deciding factors in being able to finally charge him, perhaps the Boulder police didn't botch things quite as badly as we all have thought up to now.

~HAP

I cried when Patsy died and was thankful to know she had knowledge of this suspect.

The whole thing is an embarrassment, almost as if we sat by watching this broken piece of machinery in action with no access to it.

I don't believe little girls should be dressed so provocatively. Men have enough difficulties keeping the dang thing in check and when unsound, yeah y'all know.

I was working in SoCal in 1996 when this murder happened and my co-worker was Jeff Ramsey, John's brother. Nicest guy in the whole world. We all adored him, but what hell that family has been through. He told us then that if you knew John and Patsy, you would absolutely know there is no way they were involved. Even Jeff and his family had photographers and wanna-be "investigators" hounding them for years. It was so tough on him and would just bring him to tears at times - - I cannot imagine what his brother and Patsy must have endured.

So tragic that a family's entire future can be changed by one day into an utter nightmare.

I so hope there is some real proof out there on either this guy or whomever did this awful thing to that little girl. And may the bastard rot in hell.

J.

Edited by jardinero

• 2 weeks later...