GreaseSpot Cafe

Dog the Bounty Hunter

Kit Sober

I was thinking to post a discussion a discussion about this person / family / group of people / TV reality show because it is one of the tv programs I have been enjoying. It's unique because the main character was radically saved by the Lord Jesus Christ and praying and giving Christ's love, in the name of Christ (I thought it must be in the contract that the tv station cannot edit it out)

But then on 9/14/06 he / they were arrested. Any of you been watching "Dog the Bounty Hunter" on TV? Any insight into this? He/they were arrested for bounty hunting in Mexico, and bounty hunting is illegal in Mexico.

Wikipedia article about him

Dog the Bounty Hunter web page

Duane "Dog" Chapman, son and colleague released from custody

Andrew Pereira

The world's most famous bounty hunter, his son and an associate posted bail Friday after all three were arrested Thursday for allegedly violating Mexican law.

While leaving the federal courthouse in Honolulu Chapman, the star of the A&E reality show "Dog the Bounty Hunter," spoke to reporters as he was whisked to his car by body guards and his wife Beth.

"The marshals treated us with respect," Chapman said. However the 51 year old also added that "federal prison is terrible."

Chapman, his son Leland, 29, and colleague Timothy Chapman, 41 (no relation) were released after an hour long bail hearing in front of Federal Magistrate Barry Kurren.

Kurren ruled the men are not flight risks and don't pose a danger to the community. The magistrate also rules special circumstances allow for the men's release, among them the fact that the case could take weeks if not months to resolve.

Chapman, his son and colleague were taken into custody by U.S. Marshals Thursday morning for allegedly detaining convicted rapist Andrew Luster illegally in Mexico in June of 2003.

The Mexican government served a warrant for the arrest of the three men which was carried out in Hawaii, where all three men live and work.

When asked if he was fearful of being sent back to Mexico, Chapman responded "no cause we won't go," but then added "we go to get this right."

As Chapman left the courthouse his wife Beth urged him to remain quiet and jostled with cameramen and reporters along the way to their car.

However the star of the reality show did relay a message to his many fans, some who waited nearly all day for his release

"Thank you very much for everybody that loves us," he said. "We love everybody -- thank you very much."

During the court hearing assistant U.S. Attorney Ron Johnson argued all three men should remain in jail. After ruling the three men could be released "forthwith" Kurren set Chapman's bail at $300,000. Bail for his son Leland and associate Timothy Chapman was set at $100,000 each.

"I think it was well reasoned," said Chapman's lead attorney Brook Hart of the judge's decision. "It focused on the facts and it was consistent with fairness and the facts of this case."

Chapman, his son and associate will be allowed to continue their bounty hunting in Hawaii, but are under house arrest when they're not working. They were also ordered to surrender their passports and follow all guidelines set forth by pre-trial services.

The bounty hunters were also ordered to wear electronic monitoring devices around their ankles, even as they film their reality show for the A&E network.

"If there are problems with the monitoring we can readdress them later," said Hart. "We don't have any objection to them."

Meanwhile whether or not the three are extradited back to Mexico for the capture of Luster depends on how the charges are viewed by the U.S. court.

"There's a real question about whether what they're charged with in Mexico, a false imprisonment or restraint of an individual... is a felony that's analogous to American law," Hart said.

Hart believes an extradition hearing could take place before the end of the year. Kurren has scheduled a conference hearing for November 16th when both sides in the case will present evidence including possible witnesses. Hart says some of those witnesses may come from Mexico.

Before leaving the courthouse in what has been a tumultuous two days for the reality TV star Chapman promised to continue to track down bail jumpers.

"This ain't going to deter us from catching criminals," he said before entering a black SUV with his wife and film crew.

I like them too, Kit. I've watched the show only recently, but I've caught on the heart they seem to have for people, and how they tried turned their own lives around.

It's not the first time that zeal gets someone in trouble, and it did in this case. Does the end justify the means? Well, Luster's butt is in jail, so-works for me.

The speculation is that with the new Mexican government installed and the statute of limitations about to run out on the Mexican case, someone pushed some buttons.

I do hope it works out for them.

Frankly, I think that the best way the Mexican government can handle this is just tell Dog and Co. not to come back to Mexico as punishment for what he did.

Its what we do for a lot of illegals who break the law here, but not something major like murder, isn't it?

Thank you very much for the comfort you give by your posts. I received the following prayer request from an email prayer list, and it reflects my opinion of the thing. I hope you are right, especially excathedra, and that things will work out ok.

Please pray for Duane "Dog" Chapman, Tim and Leland Chapman

Please pray for Duane "Dog" Chapman, his [Christian brother/friend]Tim [Chapman], and his [son] Leland Chapman. The details of their unjust predicament follow, as well as links for expressing your support for them.

Through Him, With Him, In Him,

Sue

<*}}}>< <*}}}><

Many of you may not be aware of this man and his son and [his Christian] brother [friend]. It is not the type of show that we would usually watch. But this man works for God. There is not one job he goes out on where he doesn't pray for the Holy Spirits help before he embarks. Who is it? What do they do?

Why, it is Duane Dog Chapman, Tim and Leland Chapman, Bounty hunters. They have a TV show on arts and entertainment network. They are the most watched show on that channel! They visit schools and teach kids not to take drugs and to remain in school. Why am I writing to you about this?

I am sickened to see how the government is treating these men. They went to Mexico and brought back a man name, Luster, Max Factor heir, for the police for brutally raping 3 women!

America was not able to have Mexico extradite Luster; so the Chapmans went down there and brought him back. Luster has been tried and convicted and is presently serving 124 years in jail.

Mexico does not have any bounty hunters, it is against Mexican law. The US Marshals busted into the Chapman household and ripped Dog out of bed in Hawaii and are extraditing him to Mexico for prosecution of the bounty hunting illegality in Mexico. [if successful in extraditing the bunch of them] There, Dog, his son and brother, will face 8 years in jail for bringing back a convicted 3 time rapist for the United States.

What is going on here? We have 20 million illegal Mexicans in this country and we have 3 men go into Mexico to bring back a criminal and they were not only arrested but our country is returning them to Mexico???? Yet we allow these same Mexicans to live and prosper in our country forgetting all the rapists, gangs, murders, and bank robbers that are illegal running around here? What the heck ails our country? This is a travesty! This is unjust!

I am especially thankful to see that Luster is presently serving 124 years in jail, and that those who were injured by him have some sort of closure to the situation.

...The US Marshals busted into the Chapman household and ripped Dog out of bed in Hawaii and are extraditing him to Mexico.....
Not true. Chapman, his son, and his associate with the last name of Chapman, are all out on bail living in Hawaii. They may or may not be extradited.
America was not able to have Mexico extradite Luster.

Not true. The authorities could not find him so how could he be extradited to the United States? Chapman and company went to Mexico, found him, and afterwards Luster was extradited to the United States. How else could he be serving a sentence if he were not extradited?

Just because someone is a Christian does not give them the right to break the laws of another country. It almost sounds like people think Chapman is being 'persecuted' because he is a Christian. He is being 'prosecuted' because he was stupid....he knowingly broke the laws of another country. If we expect the Mexican goverment to hand over criminals we want who are in Mexico, then the U.S. must do the same.

Edited by Stayed Too Long

I never watched this until last night...it just didn't appeal to me because Dog reminds me of a pro wrestler. But there was a "Dog the Bounty Hunter" marathon on and there wasn't much else on, so I watched a couple episodes.

I'm glad they caught the bad guy in Mexico, but STL makes a good point. They broke the law, plain and simple. And keep in mind that they do this for money, not just out of the goodness of their hearts. I'm sure going after and catching a particularly bad guy adds to their fame/credibility and hence their client base and the level of fees they can charge. Of course they know that, too.

I enjoyed seeing them work with young kids to try to get them to straighten up. If they're for real and not just playing to the camera, they do society--and the people they catch--a valuable service.

BTW, according to the show's credits, Tim Chapman is Dog's brother, not just a colleague with the same last name. Leland is Dog's son, and Joe is his nephew. Both articles quoted had this wrong.

Many of you may not be aware of this man and his son and brother. It is not the type of show that we would usually watch.

But this man works for God. There is not one job he goes out on where he

doesn't pray for the Holy Spirits help before he embarks.

Who is it? What do they do?

Why, it is Duane Dog Chapman, Tim and Leland Chapman, Bounty hunters. They have a TV show on arts and entertainment network. They are the most watched show on that channel! They visit schools and teach kids not to take drugs and to remain in school.

He broke the law. Professing Christian or not ---

good deeds in schools or not ---

He broke the law.

He reminds me of the *crocodile man*, who swum too close to a sting-ray recently.

I bet his *barb* won't be as lethal, eh?

He got *too close to the fire*, and ended up burnt.

Docvic did a good job quoting scripture, and then *breaking the law* too, didn't he?

A profession of belief in Christ, doesn't absolve a law-breaker.

(My IMO).

Edited by dmiller

Tim Chapman bio.

Not that it is any big deal but the official website of A & E says Tim and Dog are not related.

Don't let the last name fool you, Tim's no relation to Dog. He is, however, just as committed to and experienced in the bounty hunting business as Dog is. Tim is a third-generation bondsman. He made his first arrest at 14 and never looked back, crediting his mother with teaching him the tough side of the business.

Tim has been hunting with Dog for more than 21 years and considers him to be, without a doubt, the world's best bounty hunter. Tim prides himself on being a good father and succeeding in the bail bonds business for more than 25 years. His future goals include starting a foundation that helps at-risk children change their lives.

Edited by Stayed Too Long

So sorry. I just copied a prayer request without editing it for accuracy. Oh dear. :redface: I went back and edited the relationships a little. Tim Chapman is Christian brother / friend. Leland Chapman is son of Dog Chapman by previous relationship.

The show is full of family members. It's nice to me. I grew up with people calling dear friends brother and cousin and uncle, etc., even though not blood related. So this is not a problem to me.

dmiller: you said

He broke the law. Professing Christian or not --- good deeds in schools or not ---

He broke the law. ... Docvic did a good job quoting scripture, and then *breaking the law* too, didn't he?

A profession of belief in Christ, doesn't absolve a law-breaker.

A big difference between vpw and Dog Chapman is that the former was a cheap con, and the latter does not only profess but (it appears to me) works with all he is to live a Christian life.

This, to me, is a big point. Ignoring the integrity of a man's heart as a factor in determining opinion is what we were taught in twi. Everyone was wrong except us, and we were never led to look at a whole situation, only to judge little pieces of conflicting doctrine, for instance.

Dog the Bounty Hunter is a reality show, and you watch the actual bounty hunting process, and can see the effect on people's lives, both the capturing team, the captured, and other people with whom they come in contact.

On one segment I watched, Duane Chapman was given a citation by the mayor of a city in Hawaii for the community service he performed, and the attendees of the event included now-thankful people the team had turned into prison.

I think that if there is any falsity of heart, the show would have collapsed.

It appears that Duane's wife Beth is also facing criminal charges.

I am sorry for the lawbreaking, but still hope and pray things work out for them.

I am thankful for the kindness of Christ they bring into the world. And I am thankful they let people see their whole lives of living Christianity.

It's so much more than preaching from the pulpit.

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day," and that's what this show has given to me.

Kit (and all others) --

I've never seen this guy's show. I don't know what it is about, except for what I hear about him being a bounty hunter. Now -- I also hear about him being a Christian, and doing good in schools, etc. That's all well and fine, but I fail to understand how his work as a bounty hunter is either validated by his being a christian, or his profession of belief makes him a *godly* man, if he breaks the law of this country, or that of another.

My only reference to Docvic, was the comparision of a *seemingly* godly man going against the *status quo*, and being vindicated for said actions, based on their beliefs, versus their actions. Docvic certainly did not measure up, and I suspect this guy doesn't either, though in a different category of recrimination.

If Dog is a christian, buddhist, muslim, atheist, etc., and promotes that on his tv program --- fine.

But if he breaks the law in any given country, his religion does not give him a *free pass* from the consequences.

I am glad a rapist who thought he could break the law (much more extreme lawbreaker) is

behind bars for his crimes. Maybe the U.S. should work a little harder to get Mexico to be

more cooperative in capturing criminals who are hiding out there. As for what this says

about Dog's Christianity, I do not see what they did as wrong. Wouldn't you break the law

if God told you to. What about David and the shewbread. Or Christ healing on the Sabbath.

I think God's will transcends man's laws especially corrupt ones in Mexico.

I hope Mexico has as much trouble extraditing Dog team as the U.S. has had extraditing people

out of Mexico historically. Wow, aren't we lucky we haven't been convicted on all our crimes.

Jaywalking included. Speeding. Cheating on our taxes. Oh, and aren't you glad you are not

convicted in court for the thoughts you've had. Jesus said to look at a woman with lust is the

same as adultery. I think we all better keep a little grace and mercy around and remember

that love is the fulfilling of the law.

As for what this says

about Dog's Christianity, I do not see what they did as wrong. Wouldn't you break the law

if God told you to. .....

etc., etc., ad nauseum.

Servant,

Next time you break the law, and get hauled before the judge, try that excuse you said here on him/her.

See how fast you wind up in the 'drunk tank'.

<_<

"Wouldn't you break the law if God told you to."

Uhmmmm, ..... no!

Edited by GarthP2000

For what it's worth (probably not all that much), I've always thought that "Dog" was just a bit full of himself and more than a little on the loony side. Maybe it's the hair, I dunno, but I've never really taken the guy all that seriously.

Yeah, I think he would have done well in the pro-wrestling industry if he hadn't heard the call to do bounty hunting...

Not that it is any big deal but the official website of A & E says Tim and Dog are not related

That's so weird, because in the credits at the opening of each episode, I could swear it says Tim's his brother. Either I'm going blind or A&E needs to get its story straight. I'm more inclined to believe the former, but I looked to see what it said after seeing the article posted here. Now I'm really confused. Nothing new. :confused:

Is THAT what this Dog guy claims?????? that God told him to do it?

yikes.

HAP

I have not heard that, but maybe he has.

Going to Mexico and capturing this rapist is what really propelled him to the top. There were reporters around and he got lots of publicity, which I believe he was after. Why would he go to another country to perform an act he could be imprisoned for if not for the publicity and the potential for mega$$$$. I doubt if he went down there out of any sense of "moral duty" or anything like that, but padding his wallet certainly could enter into the equation.

etc., etc., ad nauseum.

Servant,

Next time you break the law, and get hauled before the judge, try that excuse you said here on him/her.

See how fast you wind up in the 'drunk tank'.

<_<

"Wouldn't you break the law if God told you to."

Uhmmmm, ..... no!

Well Garth,

Let me rephrase since some people have a problem with the whole "God told me to do it" thing

based on current media discrediting of anything with the word "God" in it.

How about your conscience. If your conscience told you to do it.

In other words, if I got hit by a car, would you stand on the sidewalk for fear of breaking the

jaywalking "law."

I am sure it is quite possible he could have been financially motivated, and also he seems to

have quite an ego, but I am glad he went. As for the "ad nauseum" quote about what I wrote.

You have a right to your opinions. I have a right to mine. That is America and free speech and all.

Wouldn't want you to break an ammendment or anything like that. Seems you might be pretty

impressed with yourself as well, eh?

I watched some, and I'm more confused than ever about Tim Chapman's relationship to Duane Chapman. :)

In the opening credits, it shows Beth, with the line "Dog's wife." Then it shows Leland, with the line "Dog's son." then it shows Tim, with the line "Dog's brother."

During the actual show, Dog referred at one point to Tim as his "blood brother," but then later Beth referred to Tim as her brother-in-law. We may never know. :biglaugh: I think they're as confused as I am!

I didn't watch the whole "Family Speaks" episode re: the Mexican incident, because I fell asleep.

More later...I'm at work.

According to the "Meet the Posse" link on www.dogthebountyhunter.com, Tim is not related to Duane. Tim is the son of Diane Wimberly, another bondsperson from Colorado. He heard about Duane Chapman when he was seventeen, and looked upon Dog first as the father he never had, then as a brother. He came to work for Dog in 1992 after working for his own maternal grandparents bond business for many years.

Hard to say what's going to happen next. Hope it works out for them.