GreaseSpot Cafe

Michigan beat Notre Dame

johniam

No, ND is always tough. I have always said of ND that the absolute worst record they'll ever have is 6-5. So Bob Davie as head coach went what? 4-7 one year? He's going to hell for sure.

To be fair, I think 31 of Michigan's points came off turnovers, but Charlie Weis gave UM a lot of credit. It just feels good to beat ND though.

• 4 weeks later...

Here in Cols. All the folks who live in the campus area need to haul them couches on their porches inside, so's they won't catch on fire!

Is this as big a deal for Michigan as it is for OSU? I've heard that the Michigan vs. Michigan State game is much more of a rivalry to michiganders. Here when you say "The Game" everyone knows which game you are talking about.

GreasyTech, if the Buckeyes win, you gotta change the music, okay? Maybe Carmen Ohio?

WG

Even if OSU slaughtered Michigan, I don't think I could bring myself to play an Ohio song. Just not physically possible. Hopefully it won't come to that.

The Michigan vs OSU is bigger than the Michigan vs MSU gaime in Michigan. Michigan has one team to beat each year and, as they say in Ann Arbor, to get to the game you go south until you smell it, then east until you step in it. :evildenk:

Edited by GreasyTech

There was a young teacher, graduate of that school Up North, who was talking to her young charges about football. Since she was a bit north of God's Country, she confidently asked, "How many of you youngsters are Michigan fans?" All the hands in the room went up, save one little boy. "And how many of you are Buckeye fans?" she queried. The little boy proudly raised his hand.

"Why, how in the world can you be a Buckeye fan? You don't even live in Ohio!" She scoffed.

"Well," answered the young scholar, "My mom is a Buckeye fan, and my dad is a Buckeye fan. So I guess that makes me a Buckeye fan, too."

"How stupid can you get!" the teacher sneered. "If your mother was a moron and your father was an idiot, what would that make you?"

Promptly the lad replied, ..........................

A MICHIGAN FAN!

C'mon, Greasy, at least you could play Beautiful Ohio if we win. I'm sure lots of folks would sigh with nostalgia!

WG

The god knows how many times of hearing Beautiful Ohio at ROA was plenty for me.

I don't even associated that song with Ohio anymore. It's a TWI song now.

Hey, is that the University of Michigan band? They sound very good if they are actually doing the playing. That music sounds way better than the Ohio song. Just hanging out here because you guys play good music.

Here is what those dudes are singing:

Hail! to the victors valiant

Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes

Hail! Hail! to Michigan

the leaders and best

Hail! to the victors valiant

Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes

Hail! Hail! to Michigan,

the champions of the West!

Edited by Mark Sanguinetti

I don't even associated that song with Ohio anymore. It's a TWI song now.

Sounds a lot like Wordwolf's invention of "5 x 3" cards. When TWI has done something out of the usual usage, we call it Wayspeak. When they have dome something standard, like "3 x 5" cards. we have to either change it (Like WW did) or ignore it (TWI playing non TWI music like "Beautiful Ohio"., which became the state song back in 1969...dunno when t was written.)

If we go by the matchups against Penn State, it will be a close, low scoring game. Both defenses stiffled PSU's offense, and neither offense looked too high powered. OSU trailed PSU at the half, and only scored 28 points because of gifts from the PSU offense trying to play catchup against the Buckeye defense. Both QBs are pretty highly regarded, but both have had their top statistical performances against some weaker teams. Or at least against weaker defenses. Notice I didnt say best performances...as they were facing a very strong PSU defense.

Ohio State 17-10...I dont even necessarily think they are better than the Wolverines. Playing in the old horseshoe is the tiebreaker.

Edited by Lifted Up

• 1 month later...
Sounds a lot like Wordwolf's invention of "5 x 3" cards. When TWI has done something out of the usual usage, we call it Wayspeak. When they have dome something standard, like "3 x 5" cards. we have to either change it (Like WW did) or ignore it (TWI playing non TWI music like "Beautiful Ohio"., which became the state song back in 1969...dunno when t was written.)

Not really. I've only heard the song probably less than 30 times, but every time was at TWI -- them trying to get my foot up, usually after I worked for free all freeking night. The song could be re-associated with Ohio if I heard it enough times in the context of Ohio and not some podunk cult.

Still sticking to your prediction, given Bo dieing to inspire his team?

On behalf of me, I would like to thank all you Michigan folks for a very fine game in the best tradition of Ohio State-Michigan football. Bo must be smiling that huge grin of his up there. The game was dedicated to him.

As far as I am concerned that was the National Championship Game.

Thanks again.

WG

I only watched a few minutes... saw the 56 yard rushing TD that put OSU up 34-24... it musta been one he11uva game.

So, WG, don't you think it would be fitting for OSU to play Rutgers for the REAL national championship game?

well no... they lost to Cincy Bearkats!

I know that a lot of folks are saying that was Michigan's chance and now they're out... BUT... no one else has played OSU that close and if they played on a "neutral" field...

what I'm saying is put 'em out there for a rematch... I think Michigan could probably beat any of the other contenders... but if Michigan won, then they'd have to play another game to break the tie!

...there's still another undefeated team out there... isn't it Boise State?