GreaseSpot Cafe

Have you seen these?

Linda Z

Is this not the cutest thing you've ever seen??

exterior_clamshellfront.jpg

I really think I want need have to have one.

I wonder if my li'l Toyota Matrix could pull it.

You can get 'em in this color or Jolt Silver or Orange Krush or Mellow Yellow. I kinda like the Mellow Yellow.

I love it! It has a sink and a stovetop and you can get it with a little furnace and a little AC and an awning or a tent that goes over the whole thing.

I think there's some gypsy blood in my veins. Seeing this makes me want to sell everything, grab a laptop, and go back to freelancing.

I wonder how you'd keep the little puppy from getting stolen while you went into town for groceries. Those handles on the front are so you can push it into a parking space if you're having trouble backing it in, so I imagine a couple of strong guys could just walk off with it.

Sigh. I can dream, but at least this makes the idea of having a little RV seem feasible. These are only around $14k with some extras.

I really think I want need have to have one.

Then Linzee dear - you'll need to get your wants, needs, have to haves, parallel. :biglaugh:

I gotta go wash my mouth out with 3 different kinds of soap now........ :evildenk:

Linda,they call those 'teardrop' campers....They're a retro style...They were originally very popular in the '40's and '50's....I belong to a website dedicated to old Ford trucks and one of the members did a whole picture tutorial on one he built from a kit...It seems like it would be a good idea if the front hitch had a removeable little piece so it couldn't be towed away by a thief...I mean,it would be terrible if you went to sleep in it in Ohio and somebody hitched it up to their rig and you woke up in Kansas or some place..

Hahahahahaha Jim!

DMiller, those are the ugliest campers I've ever seen. Roomy, though!

T-Bone, eek, no Rock. Unless we could time warp it back to before the suits started popping up and call it something else. Hmmm, I know! Let's call it a Love-In!

Thank you, my dear exsie, for your offer of lottery assistance. St. Bingo hasn't been all that good to me lately, so I may have to start praying to someone else. Who's that saint of lost causes? St. Ant'ny? Or is he for lost car keys?

Krys, I may sound adventurous but in reality I'm about as brave as a kid who pitches a tent in his back yard. Hitting the road solo sounds like a good idea, then I picture myself camped in the woods and hearing a loud roar and suddenly wanting my mommy. I would have to address my fear of bugs and large mammals--not to mention vagabond axe murderers who hang out at campgrounds--before the adventure could begin. Or maybe just park it in my driveway. Or hire a bodyguard.

Simon sez:

...I mean,it would be terrible if you went to sleep in it in Ohio and somebody hitched it up to their rig and you woke up in Kansas or some place..

I'm glad I'm not drinking anything, or it would be squirting out of my nose about now. Oh, Lord, not Kansas!!!

I do remember campers shaped like this, but these are really lightweight and much cuter. 'Course one drawback is I'd always have to camp somewhere with showers. You can get a Porta-Potty for it, but no shower.

I might have to rethink this whole living-on-the-road thing.

Linda Z all you need now is VW Bug! Then we'd have to call you Bugsy!

It's really cute. I love it. :)

Funny you should mention chiggers, WD. That's one of the memories I have of Kansas that stands out the most!

In my youth, when I used to hop back and forth between Calif. and Ohio by train, Kansas was one of those states that just went on and on and on forever. Flat and boring until you got to the western end of it.

I'm sure if I ever lived there I'd find a reason to like it. I've liked something about almost every place I've ever lived.

That's my problem Linda - - more courage than brains. In my younger daze - I'd do that in a heart beat (if I didn't have papers to grade). But then - -mebbe I'd toss 'em all in there and take off for the mountains or the beach and get them done in half the time with no interruptions......

The Pensy-Dutch have a saying "We grow too soon olt - and too late schmartt" - ain't it the truth.

Dmiller, those are the ugliest campers I've ever seen! Roomy, though!

Yea -- they may not be much to look at on the outside ---

but they look a little nicer on the inside. :)

rh2.jpgrh3.jpg

Back of the truck ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Front of the truck

rh5.jpg

Inside facing the back of the truck

rh7.jpg

Inside facing the front of the truck

rh6.jpg

Sleeping loft, over the driver's cab.

Featured in the book Rolling Homes, by Jane Lidz.

Edited by dmiller

Thanks, Cynic. The small spaces don't bother me, but you're right about the public showers. They usually leave a lot to be desired. NLL's idea of a solar shower might work, though.

David, those photos have stirred the hippie girl of long ago who still lurks somewhere in my soul. I could so see myself "semi-retiring on the road" in one of those. Of course, gas prices being what they are (and what they could be in the future), I don't think I'd be on the road so much as parked most of the time. :D

And by the way, is that your mandolin lying on the bench in one of those shots? Do you have an autographed copy of Jane Lidz's book because.....hmmmmm! :jump:

dmiller, that camper looks soooo cozy on the inside, makes you want to stay awhile. Anywhere. Just getting there would be a hoot!

I have used 5 gal solar showers both at sea and in the woods - or desert as it was.

Once you learn how to do it, one can take a perfectly satisfying shower with it and have water left over.that included hair washing)

I couldn't see myself in something that small, but I could easily see myself in a modest sized self contained RV just travelling along. If I find someplace I really like, I'd stay a while. I really could do that.

(sigh)