GreaseSpot Cafe

Do you find churches do not have answers?

Dot Matrix

Do you find churches do not have answers?

I went in pain over a rocky marriage. Distraught and without hope.

I went to churches, and talked to non-TWI ministers because I wanted answers.

What I have seen is: I go to church “sick at heart” and they tell me to go do outreach. Its all about more membership. Last weeks” sermon “Are you part of a fired-up church?”

I looked around and thought, “no”.

You heal people then they are excited, then they tell people then there is growth.

I came home and opened a book I had for 5 years and never read

The Power of a Praying wife.

SHE and I both were at our wits end and wanted to leave. I had given up. Why would anyone say so many mean things? Why would this happen?” God, please help him to be better…

And there it was in this book. The answers. I am not getting answers to my prayers because I have not prayed correctly.

HE has free will.

I cannot pray to CHANGE him. But I can pray against evil. I can pray against the wall between us. I can pray for my understanding from his perspective.

And I did.

I saw so many things wrong with me.

She covered David’s wife Michal and how David was so happy the ark of the covenant was being brought to their city he danced in his underwear.

(That is really cute!)

Well, she embarrassed him, Humiliated David. Did not respect him. And she paid a price for it.

2 Sam 6:16

In order for me to save my husband I had to learn HOW to be a better Christian wife.

It had gotten lost in all of the fighting.

God came through but it was again not at church.

I have gotten anwers from watching Joyce Myers. From some of you here. But I really think of VP's story of the alcoholic. (It applies here)

Came to church

VP taught on the evils of alcoholism

Guy said, you can't teach me the evils of alcoholism I am living it, I know all about the evils. You pushed me deeper in. I came here to learn how to "Get out of it" (or something like this)

I felt like that guy. I came to church to get anwers and healing. I left being condemned because we were not fired up enough.

Heck, teach the right stuff and then we will be fired up.

Hey Dot,

You have such great insight. You are so right when it comes to praying about the evil between people.

I think you have a great point. We don't have all the answers, but we know him who does!

Dot, I have that book and it didn't save my marriage but it saved me. Her books have really improved my prayer life. My husband has the Power of a Praying Husband and we both pray for our exes on a daily basis.

If the church you are visiting is only concerned about membership, then keep looking. God will lead you to the best place to get your needs met and you will know when you are there. You will feel at home.

I went to a 4000 member church for six years and always felt at home there. They ministered to me during and after my childrens abduction. There came a time when the Lord wanted me to start serving elsewhere, He led me to a much smaller church (about 200 members) and I feel at home again.

There's another book I enjoy reading. Actually, I haven't read it in a while,

but it gives perspectives from male and female sides.

It's called, "Men are From Mars, Women are from Venus".

Most libraries have it. I liked it so much I went and bought a copy.

I'd like to find a church or someplace, too, where I could call home!

ThANKS ALL

i HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR ABOUT 14 YEARS NOW.

iT IS GETTING MORE THAN OLD.

i DO LISTEN TO jOYCE mYER AND WOULD GO THERE IF SHE WERE CLOSER.

sORRY -- i HAD MY CAPS LOCK ON.

There we go.

I am exhausted from my search.

But God has always come through for me in getting things to me --

Reading his posts then speaking with Evan, Tim Sullivan and Greek2 me have been among my biggest blessings in letting me know God is still on the throne

I just miss excited talks about God and his greatness

The pentecostal churh here was into theatrics

The methodist one the guy was so full of himself he reminded me of LCM

The baptist only want to reach out --

Not UP or in but out. (Here anyway)

IMHO the answers for the questions of our heart are found from the Holy Spirit.

He alone knows how to frame the words we need to hear.

I love going to churches because they are a hotbed of people who are trying to learn to live in the presence of the Holy Spirit.

twi, as cult mentality organization, fostered the believe that someone (twi) had all the answers and was to be, therefore, made as god.

Del Duncan, when Fred wanted him to tell him what to do, said, "you have to figure that out for yourself."

(Another indication of why Del wasn't good twi material.)

Dale Sides in his first class, and as foundational in all his teaching focus, would not and does not tell others what to do, but rather teaches that each of us must find the answers for ourselves from the Holy Spirit.

He and his bunch helps build that Holy Spirit relationship.

For me Dale's teaching was traumatic because, after 20+ twi years, I had an atrophied from disuse relationship with the Lord.

IMHO churches are to be gathering together places of the saints and sinners, where we learn to love each other and the Lord.

I enjoy going to church the most when I can quell the judgmental spirit and enjoy the place and the people who are there to love God and each other to the best of their ability. (But that judgmental spirit is hard to kill.)

Dot,

My experience has been that sometimes you do need to look for a few before you find one that fits you. My church in San Diego is still on a pedestal because it was the place I went and helped me to overcome my grief from leaving twi. It was a real down to earth and not religious jargon kind of church where there were real people who weren't putting on facades to look like good christians.

I went to a small group for women where they talked about real problems in life. It wasn't about "We love Jesus so much...Just love Jesus and all your problems will go away." It was real people and great fellowship.

Maybe if you could find a church you like for the worship service and fellowship and then get your teaching from Joyce Meyer, that would help until you get over being tired of looking.

I'm praying for you sweet lady.

PS: Joyce Meyer's prayer reqeusts you can access online helped me find a church. They put me in touch with a guy who recommends churches all over the country.

Edited by Nottawayfer

Dot I have never found anything in church except..... well church!

left years ago won't be returning to the scene of the crime.

So no ideas for you dear, I did find this for you though in case you went to one and were wondering?

You Know Your Church Is A Redneck Church if ... the finance committee refuses to provide funds for the purchase of a chandelier because none of the members knows how to play one.

You Know Your Church Is A Redneck Church if .... people ask, when they learn that Jesus fed the 5000, whether the two fish were bass or catfish, and what bait was used to catch 'em.

You Know Your Church Is A Redneck Church if ... when the pastor says, "I'd like to ask Bubba to help take up the offering," five guys and two women stand up.

You Know Your Church Is A Redneck Church if ... opening day of deer season is recognized as an official church holiday.

You Know Your Church Is A Redneck Church if... a member of the church requests to be buried in his 4-wheel-drive truck because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of.

You Know Your Church Is A Redneck Church if ... the choir is known as the "OK Chorale".

You Know Your Church Is A Redneck Church if... in a congregation of 500 members, there are only seven last names in the church directory.

You Know Your Church Is A Redneck Church if... Baptism is referred to as "branding".

You Know Your Church Is A Redneck Church if ... high notes on the organ set the dogs on the floor to howling.

You Know Your Church Is A Redneck Church if ... people think "rapture" is what you get when you lift something too heavy.

You Know Your Church Is A Redneck Church if ... the baptismal pool is a #2 galvanized washtub.

You Know Your Church Is A Redneck Church if . the choir robes were donated by (and embroidered with the logo from) Billy Bob's Barbecue.

You Know Your Church Is A Redneck Church if . the collection plates are really hub caps from a '56 Chevy.

You Know Your Church Is A Redneck Church if ... instead of a bell, you are called to service by a duck call.

You Know Your Church Is A Redneck Church if ... the minister and his wife drive matching pickup trucks.

You Know Your Church Is A Redneck Church if . the communion wine is Boone's Farm "Tickled Pink".

You Know Your Church Is A Redneck Church if... "Thou shalt not covet" applies to hunting dogs, too.

You Know Your Church Is A Redneck Church if ... the final words of the benediction are, "Y'all come back now!! Ya Hear"

You Know Your Church Is A Redneck Church if ... finding and returning lost sheep is not just a parable.

You Know Your Church Is A Redneck Church if The Call to Worship is ,"Y'all come on in!"

You Know Your Church Is A Redneck Church if People grumble about Noah letting coyotes on the Ark.

You Know Your Church Is A Redneck Church if The restroom is outside.

You Know Your Church Is A Redneck Church if Never in its entire 100-year history has one of its pastors had to buy any meat or vegetables.

You Know Your Church Is A Redneck Church if The only time people lock their cars in the parking lot is during the summer and then only so their neighbors can't leave them a bag of squash.

You Know Your Church Is A Redneck Church if There is a special fund-raiser for a new septic tank.

Edited by WhiteDove

I am not sure that churches are supposed to have the answer

God and his Son Jesus Christ have the answers

All church is supposed to do is help you open those lines of communication

Church is made up of fallible humans just like me

why anyone would demand that another human have the answers that God has is beyond me

can I get an Amen?

seriously though...living in Alabama, we have more Southern Baptist Churches than Wal-Mart's

though doctrinally I believe what the Word says, I have found the people in churches to be sincere, loving, and genuine...for the most part...we all have our issues and problems, that's for sure...a there is the occaisional cartoon character one runs across

(this is coming from a guy with his finger stuck in his ear for months)

I get what I can from all of it and give what I can when I see a need...soemtimes my pearls go to the swine, but who hasn't experienced that.

With the advent of the internet...of which I am thankful, I have reignited relationships which I thought were long gone...call it a network or whatever...I for one am thankful for y'all!

So to answer the original question: Nope!

can I get an Amen?

seriously though...living in Alabama, we have more Southern Baptist Churches than Wal-Mart's

though doctrinally I believe what the Word says, I have found the people in churches to be sincere, loving, and genuine...for the most part...we all have our issues and problems, that's for sure...a there is the occaisional cartoon character one runs across

(this is coming from a guy with his finger stuck in his ear for months)

I get what I can from all of it and give what I can when I see a need...soemtimes my pearls go to the swine, but who hasn't experienced that.

With the advent of the internet...of which I am thankful, I have reignited relationships which I thought were long gone...call it a network or whatever...I for one am thankful for y'all!

So to answer the original question: Nope!

Hahahaha :biglaugh:

Temple lady

I would think however, if you are in the "God" business there would be a little more care in the direction I see given here.

But I do know what you are saying, if we look to man to have the answers then we all may wind up in TWI. Oh wait, I did!

Just that I want to find people EXCITED about God.

The pentecostals here well the minister followed us out of the church to invite us back again. Then, began talking and preaching 'bout how he cast Satan out of a man standing by that very bush over there. On and on. Devil behind every cheese burger.

The Bapstist, which are in abundance, are always talking about Outreach when the congrgation is sick. Hard to be excited if you are not getting your needs me. Peole get exciteed when they see God at work.

On and on it goes.

The fellowships are a bit flat.

Isee what you are saying and perhaps my expectations are askew. I just want to be around people who love God and are not exploiting him to get money, fame, church growth or brownie points.

I loved talking with Greek2me he is one excited preacher. Tim S of the 10th corps who is quiet but a river of the Lord's love and Evan prayed for me once and I felt we were both expecting God's blessings to rock my world and they did.

Here the best stuff I get, I get from Joyce Myer on TV!

Kit maybe we can go to the next one. What state are you in? Are you near me? I wanted to go this year and could not find anyone.

So I am with the oilfieldmedic idea that Church is nice place for Hi-how-are-you-i-love-you-God-loves-you and ice cream social gatherings.

The "social gatherings" ridiculed by vpeeee I think are a vital part of being a full person.

We got lots of fat church members here, too. No smokin no drinkin but Bible says nothin about no good eatin.

Note: Reno NV here. But I would go to Missouri or somewhere else. (I was planning on going to a weekend church event with Su*ie Aa* but lost contact for that.

Dot have you tried an LDS service

Look in the phone book under The church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

I am not saying you will find what you are seeking

I can't promise you will find the kind of people you seek at the ward you go to

Wards like people have their own personalities.

But it is worth a shot

***ducking to avoid the salvo headed my way from NZ***

Dot, I've found that "church" - the "big service" is more for a general message and common worship and praise. "Sunday School" can be a place to have some needs met, but the one-on-one, help with our problems comes from the connections we make with others in the church family, also in the extra groups they have like special study sessions, women's groups, volunteering events.

Church isn't a "fix", imo. It's not going to always give us answers because God is a personal God and so there are no pat answers. The teachings there can perhaps point us in the right direction or give us different options to consider, but "church" is very different from TWI in that we are allowed to make our own decisions, mistakes and blunders knowing that they will always be there to help us pick ourselves up and try again.

God is personal and He works within us, but we have to be quiet and peaceful to be able to hear. If we're frantic, worried, anxious or spending so much energy looking for people who are going to give us the answers, then we're going to miss them when God gives them to us, personally. :) (Remind me of that when I get all twirly and spastic, please. )

What exactly do you want in a church? Do you have a "wish list"? What TWI doctrines, if any, do you still hold onto? Is it a challenge finding a church that teaches those same things? Why do you feel like you need a church? Could you get the same support and answers another place? Maybe church isn't "it". Maybe it is and answering these questions can help you narrow down what you're looking for and expecting.

I was raised Southern Baptist, but the churches I visited down here were reminiscent of the Hell, Fire and Brimstone teachings that don't build up and encourage. The ones I visited after leaving TWI were even worse, they reminded me of a STS way too much.

I have found a small Methodist Church through a former co-worker and I love it! The people are low-key but excited and genuine. There is a "contemporary" service as well as a traditional one. They do a lot of things with the youth and the youth are the most fun and excited without being little robotons like the TWI kids. They're allowed to be kids and I really enjoy being around them, so I volunteer quite a bit with things for them.

After the contemporary service the adults have a small group called "Asbury Cafe". We drink coffee, smoothies, finish off the donuts from the pre-service buffet and talk about the sermon, our lives, any pressing concerns someone has. It's just great!

Keep looking! God cares and wants us to be happy. He wants us to worship Him, so He will help you find the best place for Dot. :)

I was born and raised Epicopalian, graduated from Catholic schools, took the class, and was "in" for 7 years. Did a CG type fellowship for awhile and found my needs weren't being met so I went to a CES type church after that.

After I moved to E. Tennessee, I visited an assemblies of God church and loved the praise and worship but found the sermons lacked the "meat" I was used to after TWI. My daughter was attending a Baptist boarding school nearby and she started going to a large church on Wed. nights and then ended up joining the youth chior.

I began attending with her when she had to sing and such and then as I was sitting in a service one morning, I saw in the bulletin where the pastor was going to teach on a certain subject that evening. That evening as he began his sermon, he said about two words and then paused and said, "No". (You could almost see the wheels turning in his head). He preached on something totally different that was in the bulletin. Shot it right from the hip.

After being in TWI and having been told that the Holy Spirit is absent from the pulpit (except in TWI). What I saw that evening broke some of the strongholds that had bound me for many years. The sermons were meatier too.

I took the plunge (literally) and joined that church until the Lord led me to a smaller church where He made it clear that I was to teach 3 and 4 year olds. I didn't want to, but I trusted Him and it has been one of the most rewarding things I have ever done.

Never in a million years would I have thought I would have ended up at a Baptist church, but well, there it is.

Churches... You'd really have to qualify what you mean by "churches"....

Do you mean the Body of Christ that is the church? Or the different "institutions" called church?

I do find that the institutions are nothing more than a business ran by a pastor or group of deacons, and maybe belonging to a denomination or maybe not.. And as any business, rarely has what I'm looking for, since as Belle said, we're all unique people and need unique things.

That's where the uniqueness of the genuine Body of Christ comes in handy. ANd yeah, I do find that they do have what I need. If not directly from them, there's usually something God is working through them.. Only thing is, there is no "Body Of Christ" building or institution so if you look for them on the street corner or in the phone book, it's a bit tough. I've found it best to weed through churches and get around town and get to know people, and soon you find out who truly is part of that Body and who just plays in the Christianity business on Sunday..

Services are boring to me.. I see no point in them.. It's the same ol' same ol' over and over and does nothing for me. So we sing.. Great.. Most churches I know sing songs that aren't even directed towards God.. And that's called worship? Yeah.. Singing "I love to tell the story" is worship? Or "Standing on the Promises"! I once went through the ol' blue book, and only found one worship song.. Most churches I've been too don't usually sing the blue book ones though.. Contemporary songs.. I like a couple that are truly great worship songs for me.. As worship isn't an action, it's a hearts direction that is in every breath.. After the songs you got prayer.. I love prayer.. But most prayers in churches aren't from someone's heart to God, but rather another way for someone to get the topic of the service in the meetnig.. ANd then there's the sermon.. Over and over, the same basic topics. The same teachings.. I was bored of it in the Way, I get bored of it in corporate Christianity. How many while in the way went over the PFAL, or the blue book over and over.? Taught it over and over.. That's Christianity in most all churches today.. When for the time ye ought to be teachers, you need to be taught again.. There is nothing new under the sun. And what God had written is not complicated. Granted there are many things that can be researched, but simplicity. Trust as a child.. It really comes that.. Not getting some great big head knowledge of what the Greek and Hebrew words are and how they correspond to these 20 other verses, and how my brain had determined that it must be that God is saying"THIS!"... Nah, he said wake up long ago, get with the Body, fellowship, help one another, grow with another, and follow Him.. The hierachy of church is nothing more than Man's way of controlling people. It wasn't GOd's will then, it isn't God's will now. His will is one body, in unity. Working together. Each one sharing and giving. It's not about the pastor giving a doctrinal expounding of a passage. It's about the Body learning one another's uniqueness and helping one another grow. It's not about listening to how great someone can be at oratory, but rather listening to one another since we all are to submit to one another in love. It's not about them, and it's not about you. It's about God, and He's called us under one head, Jesus Christ, and with that we have communion with one another.

Churches of the flesh.. Only has answers for those who do not know (the newbies who come to Christ), or those who have forgotten their relationship with God and turned it into a learning festival. However, in most churches of the flesh, there are some genuine Body of Christ dwellers.. Those I seek out and enjoy fellowship with. And I get plenty of answers from..

1 Corinthians 14:26 "What is it then, brothers? When you come together, each one of you has a psalm, has a teaching, has a revelation, has another language, has an interpretation. Let all things be done to build each other up."

That's how it is.. Each one. Everyone. Sharing. Giving. Bringing their gifts and longsuits to every gathering, and having a great big wonderful time fellowshipping rather than just calling a stagnant meeting a fellowship because it sounds cool.