GreaseSpot Cafe

Texas BBQ recipes

doojable

There was a lot of great food at the BBQ. Would anyone like those recipes?

I can post the cheesecake recipes and the minestrone recipe. I think that RumRunner wouldn't mind if I shared his recipe.

Then there was some amazing potato salad, grilled and stuffed jalapeno peppers, and much more

What think ye?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

minestrone recipe please

Here's the first of many:

Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake

Crust

1 1/4 cups crushed chocolate wafers

2 TB confectioner

s sugar

2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder

1/2 cup finely choped walnuts

5 TB unsalted butter, melted

filling

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

1 lb cream cheese, room temp

1/2 cup granulated suger

4 large eggs

1tsp vanilla extract

1 cup sour cream

3 TB (firmly packed) brown sugar

1. Heat oven to 350. Lightly butter 8" springform pan

2. Prepare crust: Mix all ingredients except butter in mixing bowl. Drizzle butter over mixture and stir until crumbs are moistened. Press over bottom and halfway up side of buttered pan. Bake 6 min. let cool on wire rack, then refrigerate until cold.

3. Heat oven to 425.

4. Prepare filling: Melt chocolate in top of double boiler over boiling water.

5. beat cream cheese and granulated sugar in mixer bowl until light and fluffy. beat in eggs one at a time, then beat in vanilla. Divide batter in half.

6. beat 1/3 cup sour cream, the brown sugar, and the melted chocolate into half the batter. beat remaining 2/3 sour cream into the second half. Pour chocolate batter into chilled crust. Gently pour white batter on top. Swirl batters together using a thin knife - Do Not Over Mix. (BUT - I use a spoon and a gentle motion that starts at the bottom center and moves up and out to the sides)

7. Bake cake 12 min. Reduce heat to 250. (without opening the oven door) Bake until 1" cirlce in center of cake is barely soft, 55-60 min. Let cake cool on wire rack to room temp, then refrigerate several hours of overnight.

8. To serve, run knife around side of cake and remove side of pan.

ENJOY!

Edited by doojable

Here was the favorite among the cheesecake eaters...the tang of the lemon is perfect against the sweet of the cheesecake (IMHO)

Lemon Cheesecake with Butter Cookie Crust and Lemon Curd

Crust

1 3/4 cups crushed butter cookies or shortbread

2 tsp grated lemon zest(colored part of peel)

6 Tb (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted

Filling

1 1/2 lb cream cheese, room temp

3/4 cup sugar

3 large eggs

1 large egg youlk

2 Tb all-purpose flour

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

1 Tb grated lemon zest

1 tsp vanilla extract

1/3 cup heavy cream

Lemon Curd (recipe follows)

Lemon Zest Bow (Optional - I used mint leaves as a garnish instead)

1. Lightly butter 8 in springform pan.

2. Prepare crust: Mix all ingredients in mixing bowl until crumbs are moistened. Press over bottom and up side of buttered pan. Refridgereate until firm.

3. Heat oven to 475

4. Prepare filling: Beat cream cheese and sugar in mixer bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and egg yolk one at a time. Beat in flour, lemon juice, zest, vanilla and cream; mix until completely blended. Pour filling into chilled crust.

5. Bake cake 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 200 (do not open oven door) and bake 1 hour. Turn off oven, open oven door slightly, and let cake cool in oven 45 minutes. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.

6. Make Lemon Curd.

7. Spread about 1 cup warm lemon curd over top of cheesecake. Refrigerate until curd is set, about 30 minutes.

8. To serve, run knife around side of cake and remove side of pan. garnish with lemon zest, (or mint.)

Serve with additional lemon curd if desired.

Lemon Curd

3/4 cups fresh lemon juice

2 Tb grated lemon zest

2 large eggs

2 large egg yolks

1 cup sugar

4 Tb unsalted butter, cut into bits

Whisk lemon juice, zest, eggs, yolks, and suger in top of double boiler over hot water until frothy and lemon colored. Whisk in butter a few bits at a time. Cook constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes. Strain through sieve into small bowl and let cool 10 minutes.

Makes approx 1/2 cups

I used to use these chocolate cookies that were little more than a wafer really. For this weekend I found some chocolate "cookies" that also had a subtle mint flavor - but it was negligible.

I have even purchased Oreos and scraped out the creamy center in a pinch. Basically, you just want a chocolate cookie with no frills.

Be aware that if you copy these recipes, dooj will automatically deduct $19.50 from your Paypal account. ;)

I think Rum's great cherry cheesecake is going for free. Bad bad doojie ...

Rhino - do you always look for a reason to call me bad...?

Actually, RumRunner's cheesecake is next. I'll just have to scrounge through the trash to find it...

heh heh heh heh

This one is RumRunner's entry:

Classic New York Cheesecake with Cherry Topping and a Twist

Crust

1 cup Graham Cracker crumbs

3 Tbs sugar

3 Tbs butter, melted

Filling

5 - 8-oz packages Philadelphia Cream Cheese (2 1/2 lbs)

1 cup sugar

3 Tbs flour

1Tbs vanilla

1 tsp bourbon

2 tsp almond extract

1 cup sour cream

4 eggs

1 egg yolk

Topping

I can Comstock Cherries

Frangelico

Mint for garnish

1. Prepare the crust: mix crumbs, sugar and butter in a bowl

2. Press mixture onto bottom of 9 in springform pan.

3. Bake at 325 for 10 min. Take out and cool.

4. Mix - cream cheese, 1 cup sugar, flour, vanilla, almond extract, and bourbon with electric mixer until just well blended.

5. Add sour cream, mix well.

6. Add eggs and yolk, 1 at a time, mixing n low speed after each addition just until blended.

7. Pour filling over crust.

8.bake ate 325 for 1 hour 5 min. or until center is almost set if using a silver springform pan. (or bake at 300 for one hour 5 min or until center is set if using a dark nonstick springform pan.)

9. Loosen cake from side of pan; cool before removing rim of pan. refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.

Before serving, top cheesecake with cherries, allowing the filling to drip decoratively over the edge of the cake. garnish with mint. As each piece is served, pour a bit of Frangelico over. Enjoy.

I used to use these chocolate cookies that were little more than a wafer really. For this weekend I found some chocolate

We used to call these "ice box cookies". They are just chocolate wafers and if you look you can find them. We used to spread whipped cream between them, and layer them until we ran out of cookies. One on top of another. Then we mixed up more whipping cream and spread it over the outside of the log we'd built. Put this in the refrigerator a while (forgot how long) and then cut it diagonally. You get sliced chocolate and whipped cream decadence which is very hard on the arteries, but feels good on the tongue.

I used to use these chocolate cookies that were little more than a wafer really. For this weekend I found some chocolate "cookies" that also had a subtle mint flavor - but it was negligible.

I have even purchased Oreos and scraped out the creamy center in a pinch. Basically, you just want a chocolate cookie with no frills.

Rhino - do you always look for a reason to call me bad...?

Actually, RumRunner's cheesecake is next. I'll just have to scrounge through the trash to find it...

heh heh heh heh

I just might try this one - thanks! I'd never considered baking a cheesecake before. Hmmmm, the things

one learns around here! :dance: Of course after I try this one, I'll have no choice but to make dooj's.

darn the bad luck :spy:

Thanks for posting the recipes! :love3:

RECIPES THAT SHOULDA BEEN THERE ---

Ham and Pineapple Pizza

1 refrigerated baked pizza dough ("12-inch")

2 teaspoons olive oil

1 cup pizza sauce

2 cups chopped smoked ham

1 (20 ounce) can pineapple tidbits, well drained

1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

1 cup shredded provolone cheese

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.) Brush pizza crust with olive oil, and spread pizza sauce evenly over crust.

2.) Top sauce evenly with ham and pineapple; sprinkle with cheeses.

3.) Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes or until cheese melts and crust is lightly browned.

:spy::wave::spy:

Crust

1 cup Graham Cracker crumbs

3 Tbs sugar

3 Tbs butter, melted

Filling

5 - 8-oz packages Philadelphia Cream Cheese (2 1/2 lbs)

1 cup sugar

3 Tbs flour

1Tbs vanilla

1 tsp bourbon

2 tsp almond extract

1 cup sour cream

4 eggs

1 egg yolk

Topping

I can Comstock Cherries

Frangelico

Mint for garnish

1. Prepare the crust: mix crumbs, sugar and butter in a bowl

2. Press mixture onto bottom of 9 in springform pan.

3. Bake at 325 for 10 min. Take out and cool.

4. Mix - cream cheese, 1 cup sugar, flour, vanilla, almond extract, and bourbon with electric mixer until just well blended.

5. Add sour cream, mix well.

6. Add eggs and yolk, 1 at a time, mixing n low speed after each addition just until blended.

7. Pour filling over crust.

8.bake ate 325 for 1 hour 5 min. or until center is almost set if using a silver springform pan. (or bake at 300 for one hour 5 min or until center is set if using a dark nonstick springform pan.)

9. Loosen cake from side of pan; cool before removing rim of pan. refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.

Before serving, top cheesecake with cherries, allowing the filling to drip decoratively over the edge of the cake. garnish with mint. As each piece is served, pour a bit of Frangelico over. Enjoy.

Whew, was I ever tired last night when I tried to quote dooj here. This is the one I meant to say I'm going to try. Might just make that pineapple pizza for the dinner when I make the NY cheesecake. :blink:

Ok, here's the minestrone recipe. Please remember that I have this one memorized and I make it by "eye." In other words - I make it look and taste right. I'm giving a double recipe here since I usually make it and freeze half and still eat more of it later in the week. Soup always tastes better when it has set. If you like pasta in your soup I'd recommend not putting all the pasta in on the night you will eat it since pasta keeps absorbing liquid and gets gooey. Instead, separate the soup that you plan on eating into another pot and put the pasta in that pot. Use penne, farfalle, ditalini any heavier pasta that won't get soggy fast.

Minestrone is a seasonal soup in Italy and you can substitute or add veggies as you want or need. I have had it with peas or corn as well. Some folks like celery too. The main thing is to find what you like and remember it. Bon appetito!

Tip: if you have a butcher that sells a lot of proscuitto and doesn't know what to do with the ends - buy them and but them up into this soup. Add it early with the potatoes and carrots. You only need about 1/4 lb for a pot.

Dooj's Minestrone

1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

2 large white potatoes - cut into 1' pieces

3 large carrots -in 1/4" slices

1/2 lb grean beans - cut into 1' pieces

2 large white onions -diced

6-8 large cloves of garlic -chopped

4 zucchini - cut in 1/2" pieces

1/2 head cabbage - finely sliced

2 large (28-oz) cans diced tomatoes

8 cups good quality beef broth ( I used Pacific brand)

8 cups water

basil

rosemary

salt - to taste

a pinch of celery seed

3 large(28 oz) cannelini beans or kidney beans

Heat oil in a 4 -6 quart soup pot. Add potatoes and carrots and cook for about 6 min. Add the green beans, then the other vegetables, in order of appearance on the list, with a few minutes in between each addition. Basically, you are starting the cooking process for these veggies and allowing the flavors to begin to meld.

Add the tomatoes and broth and water. Season to taste. I don't use more than 1 tsp fresh rosemary - but I do use a lot of basil - find what works for you.

Bring to a boil and simmer for about 1 hour. Add beans and let simmer another 10 min to bring it all up to temp again.

Serve with sliced Italian bread ( has to be crusty) sprinkle parmesan cheese over it all. I break up some bread and put it in the bowl before filling it - then keep another slice handy for dipping.

Edited by doojable

Whew, was I ever tired last night when I tried to quote dooj here. This is the one I meant to say I'm going to try. Might just make that pineapple pizza for the dinner when I make the NY cheesecake. :blink:

Note Dooj Bowtwi not only shows good taste but the ability to make correct choices....

Edited by RumRunner