GreaseSpot Cafe

Were You Bullied in High School or were you the Bully?

Eagle

It was asked of me if I ever bullied anyone in high school. The answer was no. I was bullied, however. From the first grade until the summer after my junior year I was especially small and underweight to include the girls. I was a target by bullies, jocks, and even a few cheerleaders. I am not kidding about this. The typical thing, books knocked out of my hand, attacked on the playground by more than one, all for just being small. I also did well in my grades. For some reason, that was not good, either. There was even one "bully" female teacher that thought I was cheating getting good grades and took me outside in the hallway and slammed me against a wall, then back-handed me across my face. I had a bruise on my left eye and a bloody nose. (When that happened all the rest of the kids in class were scared out of their wits, too.) She threatened me and told me that the bruise came from a fight (didn't it?). I agreed, but after school went home and told my parents the teacher did it, who then disbelieved me and grounded me for lying about being in a fight. Later I would deliberately get answers wrong on some tests to keep from getting accused of cheating and getting beaten.

The school bullies picked up where she left off, until the summer of my junior year, I suddenly had this incredible growth spurt, so fast I was dizzy and tripped a lot and walked into walls by accident. I had three or four changes of sizes in three months. My parents, who used to take me to doctors for being small, suddenly were startled, seeing me hit puberty at 16 and grow like a tree. For three months I had drowziness and headaches, then it went away. I went from 5'2" by the end of my junior year to 5' 8" when school started and 2 1/2 more inches by Christmas of my senior year to finally arrive at 5'10 1/2. By the end of my senior year I was 6 feet tall. I was skinny, but then found myself taller than most, including more than half the jocks. The bullies of the school would go looking for me and would walk right by me not recognizing me at all. When they "found" me, I turned expecting to get into a fight (for the usual no reason at all) but the three guys (there were three) looked at me, then instead of pummeling me, turned and walked away.

There was one last bully who refused to let up and kept kicking at my butt with his foot in the hallway coming out of class. I was just trying to get away from him, but the more I ignored it, the worse it got. The vice principal came around the corner and saw me three times asking him to "quit it" and when he did it again, I turned and grabbed his collar and threw him against a locker on one side of the hall and then grabbed him again and threw him against another locker on the other side. I found my fist hitting him square in the jaw sending him back into the classroom we left and he fell over a chair and hit his head. He was knocked out cold. The vice principal came and got the school nurse but he came to. I was ready for detention or even expulsion after that but the vice principal, apparently knowing in the many years I had been abused by these guys, and witnessing me trying to walk away, told me I was okay and to go on to class. The bully, whose name was Rick, was taken to the school nurse's office and then given three weeks of detention. He came back and in front of a bunch of guys in the hallway, again, challenged me to a fight out of school near a river.

It seemed to me a lot of kids from school showed up (well, about fifteen of them, some of them rooting for him, I thought). I was there and we waited from four o'clock until 6:30, then went home. Rick never showed. I saw him in class the next day and he didn't speak to me again. After this, I was shocked that the treatment I had gotten all those years was reversed. Jocks saw me in the hall and nodded friendly in my direction. A few waived and a couple of cheerleaders (out of my league) smiled at me as I walked by them.

We moved the middle of my senior year to the next town over, and the most popular girl in school developed a crush on me. At that moment, for some reason, I became one of the most popular guys in my senior class by virtue of association and kept getting phone calls from girls to talk to me, I suppose for me to ask them out. I asked several of them to basketball games which I liked attending.

Rick gathered a couple of his loyal friends the year after he graduated and approached a new kid in town, about a senior, not really sure, just in from Mexico with his family. Apparently Rick didn't like hispanics or Mexicans or whatever and took three guys to go after him. Rick was about three inches taller and twenty pounds heavier than this kid.

Rick and his two friends were beaten in that fight by this one smaller guy. One month later Rick moved out of town. We never saw him again.

Anybody else know of a good "bully" story?

Eagle

Edited by Eagle

Well, I was always the runt in school also... somewhat exacerbated by the fact that I was pretty much the youngest one in my class every year... started K at age 4. Never had a problem with the academics.

BUT I really was never significantly bullied. I got teased (verbally) all the time... this even continued into my time in the USAF... in basic training we were all pretty close to the same age, but being 5' 1" and in basic, it was, at best, a curiosity for many. But I really never had a problem getting bullied, that I can remember. Good chance that two factors contributed to that. As TomStrange has mentioned in another thread, what I lacked in physical stature, I made up in attitude. AND I had no shortage of taller friends... I just really never was in a situation in school, that I can remember, when I felt physically threatened. One time that came close was when, as at 10th grader, I tried out for the baseball team. My athleticism was lacking, so I didn't make the team. I remember one school staff member/coach being verbally abusive about my height... I ended up being the team equipment manager that year. The head coach stuck up for me and told me I didn't have to sink to the other guy's level... that was pretty much it.

And I would hope that my recollection is good in that I don't remember bullying anyone either.

I guess I kind of "missed out" on that aspect of school... I was neither bully nor bullied though two or three tried during my K-12 years but nothing ever came of it... I was pretty much friends with folks in all the different "groups"... people usually didn't mess with me as I was one of the 'bigger' kids in class (pretty much the same size now as I was in 10th grade)... I never could see any sense in fighting or picking on people... just never did... but I did do some "vouching for" and "standing up to" in an intervening sort of way... that's about as close as I came to fighting...

Edited by Tom Strange

I was never bullied at school. In elementary school I was sometimes the champion of the underdog and sometimes a little mean.

In junior high and high school I was neither.

Wow... a junior high girl that wasn't a bully? That's pretty amazing in itself, at least from the perspective of how things are these days... I know I was pretty shocked when my daughter was that age. Quite an eye opener about teen/tween girls...

When I was a kid I was always getting in to fights because of my mouth.

I would never shut up. My dad said son you have to think before you speak, then

decide if it is worth taking a beeting. If it is go for it. I was very small for my age and had a big mouth

but nothing to back it up. I learned that lesson well.

Then one time my freshman year in high school I was in Art class which is where there was no teacher half the time.

This huge a-hole came up to me and started punching me in the face for no reason. Well i was about 5 ft 1 inch tall 115 lbs,

and jumbo was about 5 ft 9inch and 250. This big old fat boy made a living stealing lunch money and lunches. I swear he

stole about 20 bucks a day from kids plus food.

I was stunded I did not move for about 3 punches then I came out of my daze and moved a way from him. This was not fight I wanted

any part of. After school on the bus I was walking to my seat and who do stood up in front of me jumbo. He was

saying something about killing me so I put both hands on the seat and as he ran at me I lifted my legs and kicked him in the chest.

He was so big he fell backwards and got wedged inbetween the seats and could not get off the floor he was stuck.

In the bible it says vengence is mine saith the Lord but not today. I jumped on jumbo my knees on his chest and I punched

him in the face till my arms were tired then someone pulled me off.

I had to go to the office and got a week vacation for fighting.

You should of seen the look on my dads face when he saw how big jumbo was and how bad I beat him up.

My dad was in shock. Then jumbos dad came in and could barley speak when he saw this skinny little who beat up his son.

No other fights to this day..

copenhagen

Copenhagen!

Too funny...too true. Getting that reputation behind you (merited or unmerited) can make or (un)break you.

Your trouncing of the Jumbo dward reminded me of the Tobacco Road story I've posted in the past and will again now, self-indulgent former bully that I am.

Enjoy.

I was called names in Junior High because I was developing buds on my chest at a larger and faster rate than most girls my age. They called me "High Ride". It irritated me immensely. I didn't get what the name meant until I saw one boy cupping his chest and saying 'High Ride".

One day, the guy who sat behind me in Social Studies kept tormenting me. I doubled up my fist and swung it back and busted him right in the head, making is glasses fly across the room. The teacher asked him if he had a problem as he was chuckling under his words. The guy said no, and he NEVER bugged me again! :P

I was always the overweight, bookish girl who was last picked for gym and started developing way too late. I never had a lot of friends - just a few close friends, who I'm still friends with today. I was picked on for my weight, my haircolor (red), and the fact my father was much older than most of the dads (my dad was almost 60 when I was born.)

I was always sorta an outcast. My senior year I lost a lot of weight and sorta got more popular but nothing like the "in crowd"...

However, when my high school reunion came around, I showed up and was warmly welcomed. I was more confident (the Word), had a great job with very good money, was single, and well dressed. I got chased a little by some of the single guys - guys who wouldn't have given me the time of day 10 years ago. I had a couple of people say, "I can't believe it's you!" It felt good.

And - the thing that clenched the night for me was when the former prom queen showed up. She's packed on a good 100+ lbs since school and looked like Miss Piggy. She had way overdressed for the occasion - she was in a ball gown and looked like a meatball in traction. She was drunk and sloppy - people steered clear of her and all of a sudden, the tables were turned.

Success is the best revenge.

Some of you may find this hard to believe... but humor always served me well. I did have a few opportunities for fights, but they seemed to almost never materialize...

Doesn't surprise me a bit!

Btw, my daughter, now 17, was in 7th or 8th grade (a few years ago) and was getting picked on by several boys at school. Now, I'm short, but Amy (who decided to be a vegetarian at a time when she needed protein from chicken and turkey to energize a growth spurt) was then even shorter. But taking after me in other ways, she's never had a problem asserting herself.

I got a call one day from school that she was in trouble... had kicked a boy... and made it REALLY count, if you know what I mean. I think she got an in school suspension (the school didn't want to reduce state revenue, which was based on attendence) for maybe a couple of days.

Needless to say, none of the boys picked on her after that.

My ~, it is so good to see your words here. Thanks for the reprise of Tobacco Road. I chuckled just as much the second time around.

I was never a bully and was never bullied. I could usually talk my way out of any jam or get people to laugh. I was teased a bunch though. I was short (thought I'd never make the 5-foot mark...grew up to be a statuesque 5'3.5" though!), flat chested, and had naturally unruly hair--a triple threat. But I got along with kids from lots of different cliques and wasn't to traumatized by it all.

Eagle, your story made me so sad. I hate to see kids treat each other that awfully.

she was in a ball gown and looked like a meatball in traction

Saucey!!! :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

I wasn't a bully, I was too busy trying to not get my asz kicked to bully anyone!

Being raised Catholic and attending a Catholic school for 8 years of elementary and 2 years of high school, I spent most of that time in a school "uniform", cordouroy black pants, a white shirt and a blue sweater. That was like wearing a sign reading "kick me" for 8 years. I grew up in East Oakland, CA. In East Oak-town you're going to get in a fight at some point in your life, "back in the day". It could be rough in some parts of town - there were girls that could slap the krap out of any two guys, some places. Oakland's a place you want to be very careful what you do. Today, it's different. People don't fight there, they just shoot each other. Much simpler and more efficient. They don't even get out of the car anymore, some places. Sort of a fast-food approach to bullying.

Believe it or not I was somewhat sarcastic in my youth and often found myself using that and a little humor to confound the bigger animals. I wasn't a good runner, so I just tried to keep out of trouble. :biglaugh::rolleyes:

Most of the time though I just avoided the "bullies" and once I got a little older never had too much of a problem. There was a time when you could walk or bus it to just about anywhere in Oakland, although there were some parts you'd want to steer clear of. Today it's much much different.

Edited by socks

Linda, exie, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you sad. I hope I didn't bring back bad memories from your past. If I did, I apologize.

As far as the bully story, I'm long over it, I guess. I talk about it from time to time. I have never seen those people since high school. I guess I should attend a reunion. I attended my wife's reunion.

I think I should forgive them all by now.

Well, God bless them. We were all young.

I wasn't bullied. I beat bullies up. I hated bullies, and I found that every single one, when challenged, were the biggest p u ss ies around. And I enjoyed kicking their as sses. I had a major pet peeve against bullies. I was bullied for a short time until I decided to take a stand, and when it was over, I really enjoyed the victory. From then on, I made it my personal pleasure to stick up for those who were bullied, and enjoyed the fights as well. And little picked on guys liked me, and I enjoyed sticking up for them. And as for the bullies, they were the easiest to whip, except for one. Problem was, seems like my reputation as a tough guy brought on guys that were not bullies, but genuinely tough. And that was a problem, for they were not push overs like the bullies. But, I held my own, and won most fights. Yes, I went right on down that road that many boys do. "Fightin F----- and Foot Facin...." But I hated bullies and still do. But two of my three boys have all stood up to bullies and they do not take any grief at all from them. Luke's turn is next. No doubt he'll do fine...

One time I stood up to a bully in ninth grade who was genuinely tough. Tougher than me by far. And not long after we got into it, he punched me in the head with a crushing blow that made me see stars. Hurt like crazy. But, I held my fists up anyway pretending like it didn't hurt like my Dad had taught me, blinked my eyes a time or two, and everyone expected me to fall down cause I was hit so hard. And then the bully, Brian Sweet, smirked at me for he knew that he had bested me. But then, when the crowd realized that the hated bully was about to claim victory, they picked me up on their shoulders and cheered me as the victor as the the bewildered bully Brian Sweet stood there in confusion, as I looked at him in just as much bewilderment while they carried me away.. But I knew that no one in the crowd wanted that bully punk to claim the victory as they chanted "Nye kicked his a s s! Nye kicked his a s s!"

Funny, all of that. My advice to you or your kids is to stand up to them. Watch the movie "Three O'Clock High". Boys need to stand up for themselves eventually, and it will help make their future as Men.

I am afraid to post…

In junior high and first year of high school-

I hung out with the girls who were in the popular clique. At the time the “IN” fashion was Ladybug and villager and John Myer of Norwich. I carried a John Romaine handbag or an Etienne Aigner. My shoes had to be Weejuns (kilt loafers) by bass. I had a circle pin with my initials and gold bangles bracelets and that was the “acceptable” uniform.

The kids who wore bad clothes well, we did pick on them by grabbing the back of their sweaters and shirts to read the labels. Then, snobbishly walk away.

I was an azz. Snobbish and perhaps a bully but not with fists.

My friends did things like had a horse and went on a fox hunt on Saturday, or played tennis at the club. I took guitar, swimming, diving, tennis, tap and ballet lessons. I was in school plays and was one of the six girls in school picked to be in a special tap dancing thing we did in plays. So, we had the spotlight a bit. That can be a good and a bad thing.

By 11th grade the culture had changed and the popular crowd wore moccasins, blue jeans French undershirts, love beads and tripping glasses. So, I did that.

By then, the customs glorified bad boys and they were whom I dated. Boys in snake skin jackets, who looked like Tommy Lee back in the day when he was hot. At that point, I became more of a no crap person, as we all were a little more rebellious and wild. Cutting class, experimented Lucy in the Sky and all, and if anyone screwed with us we’d screw them back. Bullies – some may have seen it like that – but mostly we were considered “cool”. So, no more fox hunts but hanging in a parking lot with Maryjane, like little Cher Bono's or Pat Benatars...

Similar to the show "Grease", I was a Sandy type in the right sweaters and skirts then became the Sandy at the end wearing leather. (Not that I looked like her --- I changed like her)

But at the same time, I would step in and help out the kids, I grew up with, when they were picked on by the kids from the merging school. I just never took anybody’s crap, I fought it with wit and humor and a little toughness.

When I got involved with TWI, I was suddenly hanging out with people at whom I would have never given a second look. I found many wonderful people from all kinds of places. It was the one good thing that came out of TWI…. I grew in depth. However, I had to become so “square” I lost my identity for a long while. Parts of me needed to be lost. But parts of me need to be found again – like guts and confidence.

(Too late, I discovered that “cool” wears off really quickly and BRAINS gives you big paychecks and respect. Two of my dearest friends were little Catholic school girls. One became an Attorney -- I wish I had been more studious)

Edited by Dot Matrix

Both if you consider grammer school and high school. In kindergarten I pushed the school yard bully off the slide cuz he ws picking on my girlfriend. During grammer school I was bullied till the 7th grad when I beat the crap out of three school yard bullies and gained a reputation as someone not to mess with. In high school I was bullied but from what I have learned since, my bullies are fat bald old men who are afraid of their shadows.

[b]Today, it's different. People don't fight there, they just shoot each other. Much simpler and more efficient. They don't even get out of the car anymore, some places. Sort of a fast-food approach to bullying. [/b]

Socks I am still laughing -- your wording just killed me...

I cannot get thes dang quote crap right yet....

I should have hired you, Johnny Lingo, as my bodyguard in high school. I could have learned a thing or two about learning to stick up for myself until it got so bad I knocked a kid out.

I would have rathered you knocked that kid out and I paid you.

No kidding...really! I believe in that philosophy now. I teach my grandkids to stick up for themselves in school and if it is a teacher...to let ME know.

Eagle

I should have hired you, Johnny Lingo, as my bodyguard in high school. I could have learned a thing or two about learning to stick up for myself until it got so bad I knocked a kid out.

I would have rathered you knocked that kid out and I paid you.

No kidding...really! I believe in that philosophy now. I teach my grandkids to stick up for themselves in school and if it is a teacher...to let ME know.

Eagle

Yes, I think I would have had a crush on Lingo -- did you wear snake skin jackets, Johnny?

Okay Eagle here is a bully story--

There was a very odd guy at our bus stop. He lived a few houses down and came to our scchool in maybe 11th grade.

Anyway, we were in our "cool" Pat Bematar and Mick Jagger type clothes... And this kid had his hair done like Evlis. He had on these pale light blue polyester pants (he wore often if not everyday asI cannot recall tight now.) and black rim old man glasses. Anyway, he gave me a little sheet and I made fun of his pants. We got on the bus and he began to tell Jummy (still a jock) how he wanted to whatever kill me and stick me in the quarry -- he said he wanted me to go for a ride in his car.

I did a few retorts

Yadda yadda yadda

He was caught and was a serial killer. He had killed girls since high school and put some in the quarry....

So, ya never know who you are f'ing with or who is f'ing with you....

Hey Dot:

THAT tops the bully list...a serial killer. That pales mine.

Johnny Lingo, the knockout was mentioned at the beginning of the thread, first post is mine, I started the topic. A kid kept kicking me in high school and wouldn't stop. I never had stuck up for myself much, then in my senior year at this time, I lost it, throwing him against lockers and hitting him in the face to knock him into a classroom and over a desk where he hit his head. He was knocked out that way and was out for a couple of minutes.

I just couldn't hack it anymore. I even felt guilty about it later. Thinking back, I shouldn't have felt guilty.