GreaseSpot Cafe

For Music Lovers

polar bear

PB - That was an early performance by the Beatles - but it wasn't the first. I saw their first appearance on Ed Sullivan, and I know they sang "I Wanna' Hold YOur Hand." When they said, "I wanna' hold your hand....wooooo!" the crowd of swooning women went wild!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Wallflowers (I think the lead singer is Bob Dylan's son.)"One Headlight" "6th Avenue Heartache": "Sleepwalker" (Bob's son is Jakob Dylan - and yes, I found out I was right.)

Wallflowers---Tasty stuff.

Yep, that's Dylan's son Jacob.

PB---Thanx for the Bill Evans

Eddie has always been my fav bass to work with Bill.

He was in outer space on this one.

Claude Garden--- :redface2: I had never heard him before.

WOW! I checked out his youtube of Bluesette. Amazing use of glissandoes and octaves!

I was a bit concerned he might just melt the button with his speed.

I have some time tomorrow and plan to look at some Adam Gussow lessons.

I have heard him perform as part of the duo, "Satan and Adam" but have not seen his lessons. :wink2:

Haven't seen any of her here... so I thought it was time... I heard she sang the National Anthem at the hockey game last night... only right.. Ottawa girl rooting for her home team. poignant lyrics... alanis... you gotta' love her for this! Here's last night's game...

Edited by A la prochaine

Um...

I was asking about that Beatles post you posted. There seemed to be two songs going on at the same time... bits of one and bits of the other... One was the Beatle song and the other was the Monkeys... Now I'm a Believer....

I thought it was done like this to show the similarities between the two.

That's what I was talking about.

Ooooh, okay. Sorry, didn't catch it. Nothing really, other than it was a grand piece of editing the way the guy put the two together like that, I thought. "I'm A Believer" was such a well crafted song, and so simple. I hadn't thought of the pirating angle. Neil Diamond who wrote it was a kind of master songwriter for that pop-rock genre. I thought it was kind of fun, nothing dark or cloudy about it.

Be afraid...be very afraid... Note Micky Dolenz, acting like a drummer who's acting like an actor acting like a drummer who can't play the drums. :biglaugh: And Peter Tork clapping mystically a nano-beat off-beat. Monkees Trivia: Steve Stills almost buffaloed his way into the Monkees, yes - he auditioned for the band. Edited by socks

Socks,

I'm glad Mr. Diamond left that song to the MONKEYS... was never a fan of his stuff... except Sweet Caroline and a few that came out around that time.

MONKEYS... are you saying that DAVEY JONES is the ONLY one who's the REAL musician... he plays a mean tambourine!

(true fact: When Ala was but a wee tadpole in the pond, all the other girl-tadpoles were gaga over Donny Osmond and David Cassidy. But Ala was all by herself at one end of pond, PONDERING over little Davey Jones). :redface:

Edited by A la prochaine

I'm not sure, I think the tamborine was a windup.

Short Storee- many years ago I took a temp gig, playing bass for a lounge band. It was a good gig, money wise, 4 nights a week and all I had to do was rehearse once a week, and show up for the 4 gigs, Thurs. - Sunday. This band made the lounge band in the Blues Brothers look like heavy metal. It's a brief chapter of my music life filled with strange, strange events. This band indelibly marked certain songs in my brain, and even today if I hear them, I start to twitch. "Sweet Caroline" was one of them. "Yellow Ribbon" was another. You wouldn't believe the amount of self-medication required to play Sweet Caroline 4 times a night, 4 nights a week. :blink:

Socks,

Oh my GOD Socks... my stomach aches just thinking about those songs. I liked Sweet Caroline...but of course I was 9 yrs. old when it came out!! My musical tastes we just budding in the pond.

And playing them in a lounge bar band 4x/night 4x/week... You'd need serious therapy for that SERIOUS SERIOUS THERAPY!

Was 'FEELINGS' and 'KNOCK 3 TIMES' part of the repertoire???

Wind-up Tambourines??? There are such things??? :huh:

You're really bursting my DAVEY JONES bubble here Socks... :unsure:

O

Edited by A la prochaine

Actually, Peter Tork was already a veteran of the Greenwich Village folk scene when he joined The Monkees. He and another folkie buddy of his (some guy named Stephan Stills) were both supposed to audition but Stills did not go to the audition. The rest is history.