GreaseSpot Cafe

For Music Lovers

polar bear

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waysider...AHHHHH RUTHIE...memories of me on the streets of Montreal having a complete conniption ... she sent me somewhere I'd never gone before!!! here's one of my favourites... MrMusicMan,What a beautiful tune you posted.. with Skaggs and Rice... so precious.. soooooo sad to hear about Rice and throat cancer.. god..that's downright awful!

Coolchef-check out the post I did just before Ala posted the King's singers. It says "now for something different. That song is done by the King's singers too. If you want instructions on how to post tunes go to page 11 of this thread. If you have any trouble pm any one of us.

Waysider-Love Ruthie Foster. Saw her here last year in a church. I sat three feet from her. She can wail. Thanks.

Dmiller-Love those bluegrass tunes. Nothing like that to get your blood going.

Edited by polar bear

Here are a few from an original guitarist that I havent heard in awhile but I always liked. Michael Hedges. Its hard for me to believe that this stuff is 20 years old.....He was taken from us when he was much too young.

Edited by mstar1

MStar...

wow... wow...wow....

Reminds of Don Ross somewhat and Pat Metheny... all mixed up into one.

Is this Michael Hedge now deceased?

What happened?

He died in a car accident about 10 years ago.

He was one of the good ones. Very talented. :(

SAN FRANCISCO -- Michael Hedges, an acoustic guitarist and composer known for his unusual two-handed picking style, was found dead Tuesday morning following an automobile crash.

Mr. Hedges, 43, died in a one-car crash in rural Mendocino County, about 100 miles northwest of San Francisco. A work crew discovered his body in a wrecked 1986 BMW. Police said it appeared the car skidded off a curve and down a steep embankment a few days earlier.

A little tuesday morning Gospel anyone?

This is an old Rev Gary Davis tune, by two of his long ago students David Bromberg and Jorma Kaukonen.

Why didnt I follow Rev Davis instead of Wierwille:doh: ??

and here's another old standard from Ry Cooder, one of my favorite slide players

Edited by mstar1

Mstar,

I've heard Ry Cooder before but not much. That was lovely to wake up to!

Thanks

You're very welcome

IMO you can never go wrong with Ry Cooder, one of the great underated guitar players/musicians/musicologists of our time

It is sometimes frustrating here, because he, like a lot of other artists that I like, have flown under the commercial radar most of their careers. so their best stuff (or any of their stuff in alot of cases!) is hard to find on the internet, even though he has been recording top quality stuff in many genres for 40 years