GreaseSpot Cafe

For Music Lovers

polar bear

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rainbows Girl, thanks for the clips of Enya and more Celtic Women. And Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons - ah does that bring back memories. I would stand on my brother’s bed so I could see myself in the mirror strumming a badminton racquet and lip-syncing to Walk Like a Man playing on his monaural record player. If you’ve ever heard me sing in a fellowship you’d be thankful I decided to play the bass instead of sing. Why, even to this day people will often say, “he makes that bass guitar sound just like a badminton racquet.” :biglaugh:

Thank You Too T-Bone for for painting that picture so vividly! :)

It sure would be some awesome party if we could all get together for our own mini version of the ROA's to hear you and all the other musicans rock :eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap: !

Thank You Too T-Bone for for painting that picture so vividly! :)

It sure would be some awesome party if we could all get together for our own mini version of the ROA's to hear you and all the other musicans rock :eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap: !

RainbowsGirl - Can you say "Weenie Roast 6"?

I knew you could. :biglaugh:

Holy cow – I had a dream one time about an Hibachi Bass – I’m serious - talked about it on the guitar thread. That would be perfect for the weenie roast/jam session. Definitely would have some hot riffs going down. “Wow that bass player is smokin’…well…uhm…actually more like he’s grilling.”…trying to imagine the technique involved – I’ll have to play while laying on my back so the dogs & burgers will have a level grilling surface. Will probably have to wear cooking mitts – so you won’t be hearing any tight arpeggios from me – more like a general muddy whale gargling sound…I might try a Jimmy Paige trick – instead of using a bow to strike the strings I’ll whip up on ‘em with a spatula. :dance:

Rainbow One,Glad that was appropriate... I just wish i could have posted the song... I need someone to re-educate me on how to post a song on this place! Dougie,Ray Ray Ray... oh wow... I saw him at the Montreal Jazz Festival 2 yrs ago... what a life changing experience. The anguish in this man's voice can take you places you never knew existed...And ... Nathalie Merchant... well... how can you go wrong... so much music so little time ... sigh This video is a little long... but really gives you a taste of Ray... enjoy!!!

Edited by A la prochaine

T-Bone

I think that might have been Scott Lafaro, not sure.(circa 1964 or 65)

Interesting Bill E. story( From a very credible source.)

When Bill and his brother Harry were growing up in NYC, they wanted to take piano lessons.

Being the depression, there was only enough extra money for one to study.

And so, Harry took the lessons and, upon arriving home, would show Bill everything he could remember from the lesson. His(Bill's) unconventional use of the left hand was groundbreaking in jazz.

About 20 years ago, I got to meet and converse at length with Debby(The subject of the piece)

My personal favorite bass player to have worked with Bill was Eddie Gomez.

Check out "Kind Of Blue" which was a collaborative effort of Bill Evans and Miles Davis.

Waysider,

I feel like I'm home... with that Bill Evans... Hubby has a ton of his stuff... and is always playing along with his bass or trying to play the tunes... on the piano... Bill Evans... a league of his own!!!

I heard Norah Jones say once in an interview that she always wanted to sound like Bill Evans, but she ended up always sounding country.

I thought that was cute.

I was just watchin' that video and they zoom-in on his face...and he has his eyes shut. Can you imagine just feeling your way thru that stuff.. sheheshhhh... boggles the mind :wacko:

Edited by A la prochaine

Waysider-THanks for that Bill Evans clip. I used to listen to him in my college daze. I love his music. I'll have to look him up again, it's been a long time. Thanks all for the great music here. It beats listeneing to those same ministry tunes that we had to listen to over and over until they were run into the ground.

Thanks Waysider, for the additional info on Bill Evans…I have a few Miles Davis CDs – think I’ll have to get the one with Bill Evans…Thanks Ala, for the Nora interview reference – I love hearing stuff like that…and it’s sad to hear about the loss of Scott Lafora. Watching him play, I was enthralled by his mastery of the bass.

Ooops....

I just realized I said that that song was appropriate ... to RG ... when it was supposed to be to ACT 2. Duh :huh:

Sorry if I added any confusion anywhere.

so much music... so little time!!!!! :(

No problem, Ala.

I am so excited. I just put 2 videos of our friend Bill Haney on YouTube. I don't know how long it takes to finish up the process. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I uploaded the videos directly from my camcorder thru my Pinnacle Studios. The quality doesn't come thru very well, and there is no sound. Yet, I have sound on the other videos that I listen to.

Can any one help???