GreaseSpot Cafe

Former twi musician on Colbert Report

Rocky

This evening, I received a note announcing that:

This past Feb. the Colbert Report from Comedy Central filmed a sketch at the CT (Connecticut) River Eagle Festival.

The piece is set to air Thursday, April 12 at 11:30pm (EDT).

A professional/touring Blues guitarist and singer, Dan Stevens was playing at that event, when the Colbert Report taped him.

There's always a chance his spot will not air, but the possibility that he will be on it still is good.

So, especially if any of you know or knew Rambin' Dan, you might be interested in this.

Check the listings... I know that on Dish Network, it's channel 107.

Find Dan's web site at: Ramblin' Dan Stevens

btw, the note I received was FROM Dan Stevens.

This evening, I received a note announcing that:

This past Feb. the Colbert Report from Comedy Central filmed a sketch at the CT (Connecticut) River Eagle Festival.

The piece is set to air Thursday, April 12 at 11:30pm (EDT).

A professional/touring Blues guitarist and singer, Dan Stevens was playing at that event, when the Colbert Report taped him.

There's always a chance his spot will not air, but the possibility that he will be on it still is good.

So, especially if any of you know or knew Rambin' Dan, you might be interested in this.

Check the listings... I know that on Dish Network, it's channel 107.

Find Dan's web site at: Ramblin' Dan Stevens

btw, the note I received was FROM Dan Stevens.

so... do we know him??

I looked at his website and it didn't say anything about being in a cult in his bio...

Good to see you, Strange One! :B) You are missed when you're not around much.

I don't know him, but I didn't know many folks outside of Florida. Looks like he was at Gunnison for a while based on his bio:

Always seeking diverse experiences, he has worked as a teacher in Pennsylvania and Arizona, a rock-climbing instructor in New Mexico,
broke his collarbone riding bulls in Colorado.
and sailed schooners for a living on the Eastern seaboard. He lived full time on his own wooden sloop in Mystic CT for a couple of years while performing solo up and down the East Coast. A highlight of this period was sailing throughout Central and South America as mate aboard David Crosby’s (Crosby, Nash, and Young) sailboat, the Mayan.

Musta been cool sailing Central and South America. I love the music and suspect the guitar lovers will drool at some of the pics of his guitars on the site.

Thanks for letting us know, Rocky! I'll be on the lookout for him if I'm still awake tonight when it comes on. :yawn1: That's way past bed time in my house.

Would YOU if you were in his shoes?? :wink2: I thought those other references might be TWI related, but was sure the bull riding had to be.

Although it *might* explain the title of some of his songs and give people pause to consider why he sings the blues - "Broken Down & Hungry", "Keep Your Hands Off Her", "Drinkin' Muddy Water" (maybe it was originally a song about kool-aid :biglaugh: ), "Can't Make Me Blue"

I am loving listening to his music! I think I may have to add a CD or two to my collection.

so... do we know him??

I looked at his website and it didn't say anything about being in a cult in his bio...

Well... obviously I know him...

I don't know that he's spent much, if any time here at the cafe, however.

One of the review articles on his site talks about how he got the name Ramblin' Dan. I'm the guy that he refers to as the one who first called him that.

His music's pretty good... I've got one of his CDs.

He went by Danny Stevens back in the day. He was either 12th or 10th corps (one of those EVEN NUMBERS :rolleyes: ) And yeah, he was on LEAD Staff.

ror

Edit:

One of my best friends on staff had been madly in love with him..........I just looked at his bio, gosh, is he ever YUMMIER than ever!! :wub:

Edited by Radar OReilly

Yeah.. and I assume LEAD was where he was a "rock climbing instructor"... I wonder if twig is where he was "a teacher in Pennsylvania and Arizona"..!!! :biglaugh:

...he just doesn't tell anyone he was in a cult!

Yes... he was a L.E.A.D. instructor. he was into rock climbing and had the ropes and caribeeners and things before he went in the corpse... I think he might have been in the 12th... I forget exactly...

Just over 26 years ago now... he and I and two others (also in twi) went hiking and camping in the Grand Canyon. It was a great time... The day before we left for that trip, we all went to the Fiesta Bowl to watch Penn St and Ohio St play. Dan is a Penn St alum. I forget who won that game.

Anyway, I got to thinking about that trip right about the time of the 25th anniversary of the trip... so, I googled Dan and found him.

We've chatted on the phone just a little...

He taught 6th grade at a public school in Phoenix before going in res in the way corpse...

i remember him. what a nice guy.

Very much so! :)

He went by Danny Stevens back in the day. He was either 12th or 10th corps (one of those EVEN NUMBERS :rolleyes: ) And yeah, he was on LEAD Staff.

ror

Edit:

One of my best friends on staff had been madly in love with him..........I just looked at his bio, gosh, is he ever YUMMIER than ever!! :wub:

I wouldn't PERSONALLY call him "yummier" or even "yummy"... but he's no doubt always had girls/women get "mushy" with him. I also knew him to have a great degree of personal integrity... And he's obviously been an "adventurer" far more than I ever would consider doing/being.

Sorta Strange,

I never knew him from TWI, but a blues guitarist friend of mine raves about him, I saw him at a festival a few years back performing.

After checking his schedule I just missed him earlier this week when I was down in Mystic. Connecticut,

He is passing through and playing in my town on the 23rd. If Im in town I'll go check him out at the Red Lion -- write down your comments, memories or whatever --I'll print out the thread and give it to him-or at least tell him y'all say hi

Edited by mstar1

Thanks Belle!

Im going down to look at a job, If things work out maybe I can schedule it in for Blues Festival Week (of course I probably wouldnt get much work done.. :spy: ) Until then Walnut Street sounds good to me.

I spose if I have to miss Bluesman Dan its appropriate to have to go to the center of the real blues.

After 4 or 5 trips to the state the last few years Im learning to really love Mississippi

Edited by mstar1

Dang, MStar! That's MY old stomping grounds! Pity it's not September yet. Otherwise you could enjoy the best Blues Festival in the US. I went every year in high school and college.

There's an ad for the Walnut Street Blues Bar in nGreenville, but I don't know anything about it.

I spent about 6 months in Biloxi... oh, about 34 years ago... (turned 19 while I was there)... but I suspect things don't look much now like they did when I was there....

Maybe no one cares, maybe some do.

Here's a list of ex-twi musicians, and their recordings. :)

(I'm thinking you'll see some familiar names there.) ;)

Believer Music.

It's a list of SOME former twi musicians, etc. Not all.

Ramblin Dan isn't on the list... I'd bet there are others also (who I do not know).

Maybe no one cares, maybe some do.

Here's a list of ex-twi musicians, and their recordings. :)

(I'm thinking you'll see some familiar names there.) ;)

Believer Music.

It's a list of SOME former twi musicians, etc. Not all.

Ramblin Dan isn't on the list... I'd bet there are others also (who I do not know).

Rocky -- I never claimed it was *ALL-INCLUSIVE*. (sheesh!) <_<

Get a life, will ya???

I've seen it posted here that in actuality you're a very nice person in real life.

Why do you continue to rebuff that observation by your asinine statements online??

Your detrimental comments (i.e. -- *getting the last word in*), add NOTHING to the conversation.

If you don't know music, or musicians -- shut up. :)

I provided a list from another site, nothing more, nothing less.

Perhaps you can argue with them about it's *lack* of completeness.