GreaseSpot Cafe

Forum Speed

pawtucket

Paw,

I've noticed that the time stamp Time Zones on the editing function differ from the zones for time stamp in the posting function.

I'm able to adjust my post stamps to PST, but not editing stamps.

Speed looks about the same to better.

I feel the need...

...the need for speed!

But since I use ol' fashion dial up modem, I can't expect a big change now can I? (Cable modem and other forms of high speed internet service run over $40/month here - too rich for my blood!)

Paw - I do have a request for you, when you have a moment to tweak it... I have a very hard time reading the blue font on the blue background - such as in action buttons, etc. Is it possible to change the font color?

I don't need glasses - I just stare at a monitor screen for 40 hours a week at work, so my eyes are pretty tired by the time I make it to the Cafe for some refreshment...

Thanks bunches for all you do!

Love,

Krista

seaspray,

Netscape can be a bit funky with javascript and the such. There is another poster that can't get GS on explorer and has to use netscape. There are some other browers out there you could try that are very fast... Camino, Opera and Mozilla. Mozilla, I believe, is where netscape developed from.

TSRTS,

Most of the brand of reasoning is done by me thank you very much. It, for the most part, based on the number of posts that you have made. It is not directed at you individually.

It's noticeably slower when I'm moving between threads or between forums.

I appreciate your trying to make it the best for us. Maybe it's just my connection, but I do have cable access and I haven't noticed it lagging anywhere else.

Linda

Thanks. Oddly, Netscape 4.0 works for login while 7.0 doesn't. My MS Explorer is an older model. Maybe it's the up-grades causing problems.

Noticed you've moved me from GS Discoverer to GS Regular. Is this a promotion or what? Do I get discounted coffee and donuts?

seaspray: Find a copy of Ernest Martin's book "The Star That Astonished The World". He's the man who originally came up with the September 11, 3 BC date for Jesus' birth. (VPW footnotes this in JCOPS.) Martin goes into much more detail.

As far as astronomy software, the easiest to use is Starry Night, available from space.com. If you're a serious stargazer, you may wish to use Software Bisque's "The Sky" instead. If you want the best freeware, pick "Cartes du Ciel" (don't worry, it has an English version).

...but not THAT much faster.

I'm on a T1 connection at work, and under IE it's noticably faster both at initial entry into the site, and between threads.

On Netscape 4.79, it's still a crawler - maybe a second or two faster than before, but it's not that noticable. I havent tried Netscape 7.0 yet. If I get around to it, I'll let you know. icon_smile.gif:)-->

That's it for now...

Steve.

¥