GreaseSpot Cafe

Ruling versus Service in TWI "Leadership"

markomalley

I am not one of these 20-30 year TWI veterans (I was only 'in' for a few years and was never in Way Corps or anything else) and so may have the wrong concept here), but there is something that I see as a disconnect between TWI practice and Christianity that I hadn't considered before.

It seems that the leadership in TWI set themselves up as rulers of those who were TWI followers (I would say members, but I seem to remember that only the BOT were actually 'members' of TWI...). We read that all women in TWI belonged to VPW (using the analogy that all women in a kingdom belonged to the king). I read that the leadership used followers as slave labor with the threat of shunning if the follower refused to provide the free services. It seemed that, in joining TWI, the membership essentially committed themselves to servitude to the leadership...be it local (twig) leadership, state (limb) leadership, or ministry-wide leadership.

I contrast that with the attitude within Christianity. Jesus washed the apostles' feet. He told the apostles that to lead, they must serve. I see that the apostles, in taking on their ministries, literally gave up everything in order to go forth. I see that their leader (Jesus) served. He fed the poor. He led an itinerant life. He slept where He could. Yes, He let people give Him honor (annointing Him, washing His feet with tears/ hair, triumphant entry into Jerusalem, etc.), but He never forgot service first. Ultimately, He gave His life. His apostles followed His example, as well...as each and every one of them (with the sole exception of John), were martyred.

You can see that with truly holy men and women throughout Christianity's history. A basic heart of service and a basic heart of giving everything up for Christ.

Not to say that there weren't and aren't abuses, also, throughout history, as well (I think particularly of televangelists). But, in the majority, the heart was the leaders (particularly clergy) serving...and not only serving Christ but emulating Christ in serving those whom they shepherd.

But do I see this fundamental disconnect between TWI and Christianity accurately? Is/ was there a fundamental attitude of "serve me" versus "service"? Was it always that way? If not, when did that creep in?

I appreciate any insights I can get on the matter.

I think that disconnect was always there... can anyone think of a time when Wierwille was truly about serving others?

BUT, they always taught just what you are saying: it should be "Here am I, send me." Not "Here am I, serve me."

How did that happen?

We were taught that "true" service came in the form of "teaching a man to fish". (You know the old proverb, give a man a fish and he'll eat today, but teach him to fish and he'll be fed a lifetime.) So, everything leadership was taught to do was supposed to be to that aim: teaching people how to live their lives in order to have better lives. That was supposed to be our service.

But I have found it so often to be the case that twi taught EXACTLY what the Bible said, and still practiced completely the opposite, and somehow reconciled the two in their/our minds.

Another example of this is in Craig's WAP foundational class. He teaches about how the miserable comforters blamed Job for his misfortunes, and said that if someone is grieving over the death of a loved one, or trying to get healed up from a horrible sickness, that is NOT the time to criticize and critique them. In fact, in the class he was pretty adamant about it. That is the time to love them. There will be time enough for reproof and correction later he said. HUH???????? Then what the heck was Martindale doing all those times he reamed people out because a spouse died, or they had a sickness in the family? Reamed them out within days, even HOURS of the tragedy occurring! ---- Why, he was LOVING them up, dontcha know... by showing them the truth of the Word, you see. Teaching them how to fish. Uh-huh. Saving them from some continuation of the tragedy by helping them get back on track spiritually.... <_<

Edited by TheHighWay

I think that disconnect was always there... can anyone think of a time when Wierwille was truly about serving others?

BUT, they always taught just what you are saying: it should be "Here am I, send me." Not "Here am I, serve me."

How did that happen?

We were taught that "true" service came in the form of "teaching a man to fish". (You know the old proverb, give a man a fish and he'll eat today, but teach him to fish and he'll be fed a lifetime.) So, everything leadership was taught to do was supposed to be to that aim: teaching people how to live their lives in order to have better lives. That was supposed to be our service.

But I have found it so often to be the case that twi taught EXACTLY what the Bible said, and still practiced completely the opposite, and somehow reconciled the two in their/our minds.

Another example of this is in Craig's WAP foundational class. He teaches about how the miserable comforters blamed Job for his misfortunes, and said that if someone is grieving over the death of a loved one, or trying to get healed up from a horrible sickness, that is NOT the time to criticize and critique them. In fact, in the class he was pretty adamant about it. That is the time to love them. There will be time enough for reproof and correction later he said. HUH???????? Then what the heck was Martindale doing all those times he reamed people out because a spouse died, or they had a sickness in the family? Reamed them out within days, even HOURS of the tragedy occurring! ---- Why, he was LOVING them up, dontcha know... by showing them the truth of the Word, you see. Teaching them how to fish. Uh-huh. Saving them from some continuation of the tragedy by helping them get back on track spiritually.... <_<

Bingo.

twi taught EXACTLY what the Bible said, still practiced completely the opposite, and somehow reconciled

the two in their/our minds.

That's why some people STILL claim that all their dealings were completely above-board and fair-

because they were fair ON PAPER,

and can't conceive of the idea that they'd WRITE ONE THING and PRACTICE ANOTHER.

Edited by WordWolf

(I have this on another thread but I think this applies here THW)

"People complain sometimes because they think we're not loving enough. . .LOVE!???..LOVE!???? I'm giving them the WORD, THAT'S love!!!" [sic] -- lcm

Exactly! We were expected to wash their feet, not the other way around.

WE cleaned THEIR houses.

WE moved THEIR crap.

WE strung chaifs.

WE brought refreshments.

WE made elaborate cards.

WE gave money for extravagant gifts.

WE wrote thank you notes.

WE hosted fellowship.

WE served on the class crew.

WE opened our homes.

WE paid for the phone hook-ups.

WE DID EVERYTHING.

THEY taught the word. :rolleyes:

WHY? Because THIS is what they thrust down our throats to justify it:

And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which labour among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you;

And to esteem them very highly in love for their work's sake. [And] be at peace among yourselves.

1 Th 5:11, 12

Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of [their] conversation.

Heb. 13:7

Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that [is] unprofitable for you.

Heb 13:17

Don't look at them in context - if you look at them in context it's harder to justify being a demanding, ungodly authoritarian figure. <_<

Yesterday we had our "Annual Company Picnic" here at work - they set up tents and tables and catered BBQ; gave out prizes to the employees and we had a grand ole time. The line for the food was rather long and while we were eating and visiting and having a good time, I noticed that the owners, the CEO, CFO, Directors and HR Manager all sat at off to the side watching and enjoying seeing everyone have a good time. It wasn't until AFTER EVERY SINGLE EMPLOYEE had gone through the line that they went through the line and got their food.

NEVER would that happen in TWI. In fact, even when there is a baby shower or bridal shower where a particular woman is the guest of honor and the one we're there to celebrate - they are not the first in line - it's the Right Reverend So & So or his wife - it's the WC who always go first in line - NOT the "Joe Believer" who should be the honored guest.

Nope - the only "service" TWI leadership provide (d/s) is to "teach the werd". Total opposite of what Jesus taught. Those high places must be pretty comfy for TWI leadership.

Belle - when did the WC get to go first in line? I must have been at the wrong meetings, usually a scraped the bottom of the potato salad container or got the extra well dried out burger, or the hot dog that looked like it had already been used.

Boy, I wish I had gone to some of your parties

Out There,

It definately did matter which kind of corps you were... if you expected people to stand when you entered a room, you were first in line at the food table. If you arrived early to help set the place up, you were probably one of the last people getting to eat, if you found time to eat at all.

I certainly remember working events at HQ where you went from one job/responsibility to another, and it was pretty much on your own shoulders to get any food or rest at all.

Young and stupid. I was just so young and stupid...

Great thread topic MarkOMalley, and very insightful posts everyone!!!!! Sometimes don’t you wish you could aim a remote control at someone, press the Honesty button and their words would reveal their true intentions:

“The greatest leader is the greatest servant. And just so there’s no confusion – I’m not your leader – I’m your supervisor – so you’d better get crackin’ on setting up the meeting room before the boss gets here…and did you finish mowing my yard and replacing the transmission on my Jeep? We’re gonna be four wheelin’ at the Men’s Advance next weekend and I wouldn’t want to disappoint God’s people.”

“God sure loves a cheerful giver and I’m always delighted to help a believer in need. I’d give you the shirt off your own back. Remember, as you give – I receive.”