GreaseSpot Cafe

Article on Compact Fluorescent Bulbs

Psalm 71 one

I am not a huge fan of CF bulbs, I prefer dimmer switches to reduce wattage used and thus energy savings. that allows me to control the light I need for the mood, circumstance and situation. I rarely turn them all the way up. CF bulbs have a use, in places where they are appropriate, such a porch lites that are left on all night for security, or a hallway where they are seldom used. I dunno, even though I am generally a "greenie" I have not jumped on THIS bandwagon. I simply do not see a huge savings in them. Most residential energy use is contained in your appliances, and heating and AC, not in illumination.

Go ahead someone convince me. Meanwhile I will concientiously utilize my dimmer switches on incandescent bulbs.

~HAP

I use CFs on my fish tank. They can pump out a higher wattage at a lower cost. (which is necessary to get light down through the water to the photosynthetic organisms)

I've broken a couple here and there, and have never heard of the mercury in them til now.

I'll have to look into this more.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/cfl.asp

It's not true folks. Go here to read the truth and the recommended way to clean up a bulb if broken.

Before my ex roommate left, he broke quite a few of these bulbs around the apartment during his temper tantrum. I picked up the glass and the windows were cracked to let smoke out and fresh air in, so I basically did what they say to do without knowing it. I didn't vacuum the rug till a couple weeks later, so I feel that time period passed was enough that it was safe to use the vacuum there again, but they say not to use one right away. (Glad I was busy with other things and didn't get around to it till I did!)

I only have one of these bulbs left in the apartment that I do use in a reading lamp that can't handle the higher watt light bulbs so I get a brighter light. When the bulb goes, the light will too I think and I will buy a better one to replace it so I don't have to mess with any breaking again. That lamp is old and ugly anyway, this gives me a good reason to get rid of it. LOL.

As has already been pointed out, the "article" is not true. Additionally, the author of it is a flat-earther that comes from a discredited organization that oddly enough gets money from electric companies to publish articles just like this:

Steven Milloy publishes JunkScience.com and CSRWatch.com. He is a junk-science expert and advocate of free enterprise, and an adjunct scholar at the Competitive Enterprise Institute.

I do agree that the bulbs are not perfect for everywhere, but I'd prefer that people be able to make up their own minds about using them based on the facts rather than lies. The truth is that they are more energy efficient, and make sense to use particularly on lights that stay on a long time. If it's something like a bathroom light, for example, you should not use them because you aren't leaving the lights on long enough to get any benefit.

The only "regular" bulb I have left in the whole house is a big-based 3-way bulb in a floor lamp. All the rest are CF units.

The main thing I like about them is - I haven't changed a lightbulb in YEARS.

They seem to work fine, they've finally gotten them sized a little better, and they have higher output ones now as well, so you don't get the "I'm living in a cave" ambiance.

Works for me...

The only "regular" bulb I have left in the whole house is a big-based 3-way bulb in a floor lamp. All the rest are CF units.

They seem to work fine, they've finally gotten them sized a little better, and they have higher output ones now as well, so you don't get the "I'm living in a cave" ambiance.

Works for me...

I put one in my garage that gives off quite a bit of light. If you've watched the new Battlestar Galactica series, there was an episode where they had to pass through a nebula that blinded them and messed up their equipment. That's almost as bright as the CFL bulb in my garage.

Burning one 100 watt bulb 10 hours/day costs about $2.41/month. (at $0.0814/kwh)

So the cf's save about 75% of that. or maybe $1.80 per bulb times maybe 6 bulbs ... call it maybe $10/month in electricity.

They cost more, but they last several years and I agree with George, changing the others so often is a hassle worth avoiding.

"I prefer dimmer switches to reduce wattage used and thus energy savings. that allows me to control the light I need for the mood, circumstance and situation. I rarely turn them all the way up. "

HAP - trust me dude - dimmer switches do not save on energy, turning off the &^%$&*^% light saves energy. They reduce the amount of energy to the bulb - yes - but the dimmer USES energy "restricting flow" to the bulb. Put your hand on the wall - feel the warmth by the dimmer - heat = energy.

I'm liking what I see comming out in LED's these days - now those are really efficient - and they come in green if you want to be a true "greeny":)

Just got to wait till the price comes down - in the mean time you & I ought to try to get a contract to change all those bulbs on the old gas & electric building downtown to LED's - then we can retire in style :)

Edited by onegod

I would never argue with a sparky. Good to hear from you OneGod. Hey, I am trying to get OUT of the ladder climbing business!

Interesting, however that Boulder and the National Green Building Alliance (or whatever it is called) gives the same greenpoints for dimmers that they do for CFs. All construction there requires the contractors to earn green points to get finals. They can be gained by a large variety of methods throughout the construction process. I rather like the program actually, and it is painless.

yes, the best savings is to turn off the lights, no question. Wehn in Europe, I was intrigued that every hotel we were in had timer controled lights in the hallways. some were motion sensor activated. what a great way to have light when you need it, but one you enter your room, the hallway goes dark again. what a concept!

~HAP

I'd read that the older dimmers gve off heat, but newer ones somehow actually reduced electrical usage. I think some were more energy efficient or had the Energy Star.

that was my understanding too Rhino, but I have not looked into it tonight. Mine are electronic, and do not get anywhere near as warm as the old rheostat ones with the round knobs we used to see. But then Onegod told us to trust him, and I know him, so until I find info to the contrary I will do so, LOL.

Thanks Bikerbabe, for the link-- I sent it to the people who sent the article to me. I've come to realize most of these things are hoaxes, but fell for this one!

I did wonder if I should check with snopes, but was in a hurry.

I appreciate all the good insight from you all. I don't like the light CF bulbs give off, so i don't use them. (Those little bulb-like ones you can use in your lamps instead of regular light bulbs, if those are what "CF bulbs" are) I LOVE LOVE LOVE the bright blue kitchen type fluorescent lights, and use a OTT type light for my woodcarving.

Slightly off-topic: I heard that it costs more electricity to turn on a flourescent bulb than it does to run it 3 hours. Is that true? (hmm, mebbe I oughta check snopes? LOL!)

that was my understanding too Rhino, but I have not looked into it tonight. Mine are electronic, and do not get anywhere near as warm as the old rheostat ones with the round knobs we used to see. But then Onegod told us to trust him, and I know him, so until I find info to the contrary I will do so, LOL.

Let me back track - the electronic ones probably will save energy, but think about mr handyman - when he goes to home depot - chances are he comes out with the cheapest model, funny thing is - a quick look at the web shows that they all pretty much make the energy savings claim, guess everyone wants to be on the band wagon.

Works for me...

That's pretty much how I have it now, too... though I just started using these CFs in 2006. I've VERY interested in not having to change the bulbs for a long, long time.

And the WATTage of a bulb is a measure of how much electricity the bulb uses... not a measure of the light output of the bulb.

Two very important points... for the same amount of electricity, you get MUCH more light than regular incandescent bulbs... AND, the CFs are supposed to last a lot longer. Another way to put the first point is that a CF, in using less electricity to generate the same amount of light, the CF puts out far less in HEAT energy. And in the desert of central Arizona, that makes a big difference for more than half the year, in helping to keep the house cooled. In the colder months, when I'm using the heater at night (day time heater use is VERY rare here), I wouldn't mind the extra heat from the regular bulbs.

Taken in the aggregate, for even ONE house, it can make a distinctly measurable positive impact. Aggregate that energy savings for a large metropolitan area, like the Phoenix area where I live -- OR, throughout the state and country, the impact on electricity demand is definitely significant.

Over the last several years, Americans (in the aggregate) have been using an ever increasing amounts of electricity, due to population increases AND American consumerism...

So... for those wanting to do something to help reduce carbon emissions and energy usage, this matters, even if one doesn't see dramatic decreases in his/her monthly utility bill.

Slightly off-topic: I heard that it costs more electricity to turn on a flourescent bulb than it does to run it 3 hours. Is that true? (hmm, mebbe I oughta check snopes? LOL!)

I'd heard it was 15 minutes for those long tube types, and maybe 5 minutes for the newer ones. And/or it reduces their lifetime by that much.

They cost more, but they last several years and I agree with George, changing the others so often is a hassle worth avoiding.

Changing a light bulb is a; hassle? HUH???? :wacko:

How many Rhinos does it take to change a light bulb??? :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Edited by Nottawayfer

Those incandescents seem to burn out fast ... say they last 6 months ... 30 bulbs per house ... that's 60 changes a year ... I'm lazy, yes, that is a hassle... not just replacing them, but buying them, being in the dark when they burn out ... and I have to find a way to dispose of them since we don't have garbage pick up.

Fortunately I am tall, so I can change those ceiling fixtures with no ladder. :)

But really, if you have a rhino in your house and the lights are burned out, getting the "bubls" bulbs changed is the last of your worries ...

more rhinos will not help ...

Edited by rhino

Changing a light bulb is a; hassle? HUH???? :wacko:

How many Rhinos does it take to change a light bulb??? :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

I can't speak for rhino but it's a huge hassle for me as well. I don't remember how tall my ceilings are exactly, but I have to climb to almost the top of my ladder (I'm 6'4") and still reach up to touch the ceiling, so it would be a huge pain for me. That's why when I moved in I went ahead and spent some time changing out all the lightbulbs.

Aw....come on! I was expecting a punch line, not you making fun of my typo (which I had corrected before your post BTW!!)
Well, I was going from memory, then I saw you had corrected it. You make fun of the rhino, you gots to expect a little poke in return :) That was the best punch line I could come up with ... Is there a "101 rhino jokes" book?

I get my CF bulbs from Ikea (they are significantly cheaper there then elsewhere that I've seen).

When a regular bulb burns out, I replace it with the corresponding CF bulb. The only exception being where I have a dimmer already (only a couple of places).

I am, in no way, a greenie. But I am a cheapskate and lazy. (In other words, I like paying less for electric and I hate changing bulbs)