GreaseSpot Cafe

Sleep Walking

J0nny Ling0

There I was. I was in a high rise hotel in Ocean City, Maryland, partying with a bunch of high school friends. It was during the summer after our sophomore year, and we were on the 12th floor of some high rise hotel that some senior girls had rented for the week. There was Patty and Elise, June and Susan, and about four of us guys who thought we were going to "get some". As it turned out, none of us guys were able to get into either of the two queen sized beds with the girls, and were relegated to the outside balcony when it came time to crash. But before we crashed, we smoked outrageous amounts of marijuana, and drank lots of Southern Comfort, plus, we had three cases of Miller High Life to draw from as the evening wore on. And so, we laughed, talked, tried to impress the girls, but as time went on, none of us boys achieved our main goal. Oh sure we could have been satisfied with just having the girls be happy that we were there, allowing us to laugh and talk with them, but, being guys, we were bummed that none of them "begged us" to "bag them". Oh the illusions from which we boys do suffer. "Dillusions of grandeur" as I call it...

And so, when we were finally completely wasted, us guys went out onto the concrete balcony 12 stories above the parking lot. Nobody had sleeping bags but me, but the cold, damp, night air blowing in off the Atlantic didn't seem to bother us, because, we were way hammered. And so, we crashed. Thank God I was the only one to have brought a sleeping bag, for it was chilly and damp. Just before I fell off to sleep, I remember looking through the sliding glass doors at the girls in their comfy beds, getting ready to sleep in such nice and cozy comfort. And then, the lights went out as I zoned into that pickled state of alcoholic stupor...

I am guessing that it must have been hours later when I woke up on that cold, damp, concrete balcony floor. And it was the strangest thing! There had been four of us crashed "too close for comfort" in that cold and damp concrete slumber. But now all of the sudden, every one was gone! And, what happened to my sleeping bag? I looked around the balcony and I was the only one there! Where in the Sam Hill had they gone? Why had they ditched me like that?! And how could they have ditched me like that? We were all way too drunk for them to have packed off in the wee hours to leave me like that! And so, I thought; "Well, are the girls still here?" And I looked through the sliding glass doors expecting to see Elise, Patty, June, and Susan, but they weren't there either!And instead of seeing the girls, I saw an old man and his old wife on the bed nearest the sliding glass doors. They lay there, half covered up, and sleeping soundly. The old man had his mouth wide open, and even though I couldn't hear through that glass, I am sure he was snoring. It was surreal, it was weird, and I was scared. And I was thinking; "WTF?! What is going on?! Where were the girls? Where was Ronny, Stuey, and Kenny The Buell?!" I really had no idea as to what it was that was going on. I looked down to the parking lot, 12 stories below. I looked out to the ocean where the breakers broke and the phosphorous glowed with each breaking crash. And then, I looked to my left to the next balcony....

And there, snuggled and sleeping on the cold concrete next to my empty sleeping bag, was Ronnie, Stuey, and Kenny The Buell. I looked into the sliding glass doors of their balcony, and I could see Elise and Patty in blissful slumber, as well as two lumps in the far bed, which no doubt was June and Susan. As my fogged out mind began to unfog, I looked down between the two balconies that were but four feet apart, and thought about what a plunge like that would do to a body, crashing to the asphalt in blissful slumber. It hit me hard. I'd realized at that moment, that in my sleep, I had "sleep walked" and climbed the rail of the one balcony in exchange for the unpopulated balcony of the other! "Oh-My God!" I thought. There was but four feet between the balconies, and I had done it in my sleep! I could have fallen and never known why I was dead. It was deep. It was heavy, and I was way freaked out by it all.

And so, I decided that I'd better get over to "my" balcony so that the old couple, should they detect me, didn't call the cops and have me arrested for "peeping Tom-ism". And so, I slung a leg over the rail with out looking down, but then, I heard a voice. It was Ronnie Taylor saying; "Hey Nye! WTF are you doing?!" And I remember replying; "I don't know man, I don't know. But help me if I start to fall...." But before he could get up off the balcony floor, I was over and on the deck with my pals. But only Ronnie was awake, and he was as amazed as I was when I related the whole thing to him. And then, I crawled into my bag, and asked God to forgive me, and thanked Him for saving me...

And so. I do believe that there is a God who watches over Fools like me. Anyone else have any sleepwalking incidents?

Edited by Jonny Lingo

No walking in the sleep for me. But at sleepover at an event at the maybe.. New Bremen? It was a big room that a bunch of us were sleeping in.. I am told that I sat up in the middle of the night and started loudly teaching and "casting out spirits" in my sleep..

next day, I heard people saying it was the greatest thing they'd ever heard..

:biglaugh:

Can't say I remember any sleepwalking incidents. Of course, if I was sleeping, I probably wouldn't recall them anyhow.

My son used to sleepwalk when he was about 10 or so.

He used to get up and walk around the house. He would go down the basement and sort through boxes. Scared the cr@p out of me. Not the sorting part, the walking down the steps in his sleep. I had to start locking the door but I think he may have unlocked it and then locked it again when he came up.

I would find dishes in the sink and a peanut butter jar on the counter in the morning.

He had no recollection of having gotten up.

I was also concerned that he might try to fix something that required use of the stove.

It all passed as he entered the teenage years and slept so soundly it darn near required a crane to get him out of bed for school in the morning.

Sorry. That's probably not the kind of sensational stuff you're looking for.

I did some sleepwalking in my pre-teen years... embarassed the hell out of my parents when I walked down the stair butt-a$$ naked into the kicthen where they had some male friends hanging out. Woke up when my Dad took me upstairs. I was embarassed as hell about that one.

and I had a babysitter tell me that I walked downstairs one night and told her that I really wished we could have world peace. I then went back to bed.

Not as exciting as Johnny's...

Is sleepwalking common in pre-teens?

My cousin supposedly sleep walked when she was a teen. Got up one night in March, went outside, down the street, into a neighbour's house that she knew, and used their bathroom. Came out, went back home, and got back into bed. There was snow/mud on the ground - she had no boots or shoes on. The next morning when her mother told her about it, she didn't believe her until she looked at her feet...

I did some sleep walking in my teens and early twenties, especially if i was sleeping in a strange place. I once entered a closet and slept on some luggage. I woke up because I was uncomfortable, the snuck back to the couch where I was supposed to be sleeopng.

JavaJane, it's common around here w/ my almost 12 year old daughter.

She's been on the move during sleep since she was about 9 months old, however. Her thing was night terrors, where I'd find her absolutely terrorized and trying to escape or just sitting up, eyes wide open but asleep, unable to be awakened.

From the time she was about 3-4, I've had to lock up the house in wierd ways so she can't go outside in the middle of the night.

Having tonsils and adenoids removed two years ago took care of her apnea (horrific snoring and sleep cessation) and cut down on all this some. And her dreams are a little less bloody and she is running from them less often.

So, yeah, it's 'normal' for her and seems to be returning in a bigger way with puberty, etc. I might find her asleep on the kitchen floor, once in the tub, often right by the front door, assuming she was trying to get out and finally gave up. If she should succeed, alarms go off in my room.

The "newborn in the house sleep deprivation" never ended with this one............ :blink:

Edited by Shellon Fockler-North

I walked in my sleep all through my childhood. My folks put special locks on the doors that would make it too complicated for me to unlock them while asleep because I left the house during the middle of the night and would wander around sometimes waking neighbors and having conversations with them while asleep. I understood they never made a great deal of sense but then I've been told they don't always make a great deal of sense when I'm awake also.

The last time I walked in my sleep was when I was pregnant with our son.

I believe in my case it was personal unrest that caused me to do so but I have no idea what studies have found on it as I never looked into it.

This is a topic that gives me so much stress.

I didnt sleep walk, my sister did. and im afraid even to this day for her.

one time she went downstairs and we had a babysitter an old lady and she was yelling at her and i took her back up the long winding stairs to our old victorian house she slept through it all.

the worse was when we went camping with a youth group outside along a river we slept in bags , i never slept when she was with me cause i was always frightened she would slap me or somone or get hurt. We were on a rivers edge and she could have fallen or got lost in the woods, .. i knew she ws not well cause she was talking and talking in her sleep.

and then she was near the fire almost fell in it and i got her.

i just cant stand the memories to even speak about it. so not funny, Gods utter grace. so many times.

and my youngest child got it some.

2 years old walking through a snow pile in the middle of the night once .. i have no idea how she got out there she slept in MY room!!!

she had night terrors to, screaming like somone just cut her leg off sound asleep unable to wake her up. and after everyone was awake and afraid in her face she would wake up and smile and wonder why everyone looked like she was on fire! omyg. this topic to much.

cant stand it. carry on.

When I was about 14 or so, my Mom, Dad and I were in the living room watching television one night when my younger brother (12 or so) walked out of his bedroom, past us in the living room, and into the kitchen. Once there, he opened the refrigerator door and peed on the lettuce. Then he closed the door and went back to bed. My parents and I were cracking up.

A man told his pastor he had a very close, personal relationship with God.

"How so?", asked the pastor.

"When I get up in the middle of the night to use the restroom, He even turns the light on for me.", said the man.

Upon hearing this scenario from the pastor, the wife exclaimed,

"Oh Cr@p!--He's peeing in the refrigerator again!"

I awakened one night in the Army to my fist and forearm driven through drywall. I must have had a bad dream and slugged the wall. I always was fighting...but I suppose I also did it in my dreams.