GreaseSpot Cafe

Song of the moment

nandon

my pleasure waysider!!........here's one from a major "influence" on this young, "hippie" music lover from the fabulous 60's!........pharoah sanders, coltrane "offspring" and a great talent in his own right!.......from the album "karma"...........no video, (appropriate to the music imho).............enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1Ly63yAzrw...feature=related#

Loved the Pharoah Sanders cut DW!

I found this on utube (with some kinda odd comments inserted from Clint Eastwood and Ray Charles) but it shows some really rare footage of Tatum actually playing the piano. Just watch his hands work! His fingers have the precision of a Swiss Watch.

And for those who think he played to fast, he had an answer for you - you don't listen fast enough...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaqAgK7Qfeg

Slightly :offtopic:

I know of two tunes/songs written in 5/8 time.

"Take Five" by the Dave Brubeck band

and another by Jethro Tull... but I can't remember the title of it now.

BTW - I love Jethro Tull... one of the few men who could pull off a flute and tights and ROCK AND ROLL and make it all look cool.

hiya yorgy!.........fantastic clips on tatum and oscar peterson!......thanks!.........papa always told me, if'n ya wanna notice a great maestro of the "88's", watch that left hand!!!.........you betcha!.........and greshwin and another "overlooked" oscar, levant, that is,......both had that left hand mojo workin' too!.........i love this thread!!!.............peace.

hiya dooj!..................."take five" is in 5/4 time!!!.........just sayin'!................LOL!

I'd almost forgotten about Oscar Levant!

I was more a fan of his wit more than his musical abilities, but he had plenty of both. I was enthralled with his book "Memoirs of an Amnesiac" when I was a kid. He just seemed like the coolest guy in the world to me ( I didn't know about his rampant hypochondria then).

He had the greatest line ever spoken by anyone. With regards to a former co-star of his, Doris Day, he said "I knew her before she was a virgin"

hiya dooj!..................."take five" is in 5/4 time!!!.........just sayin'!................LOL!

Thanks DWBH! I (obviously) really don't know anything about music. (DUH!) I repeated something told to me.

My girls know music - I just listen. :)

Was I also wrong about that "Living in the Past"? Is it also in 5/4 time?

It sure would be good to learn from all you musicians.

hiya dooj!

i apologize if i came across as "snotty" or something..........i didn't mean to........one of the great things about music, imo, is that you don't have to know anything about it technically in order to love every note you hear and feel!........AND, FROM WHAT I'VE SEEN OF YOU LIVE AND IN PERSON, IT'S OBVIOUS THAT YOU SURE DO LOVE MUSIC, APPRECIATE IT.......AND YOU SHORE LOVE TO DANCE!!!!!..........and, really, that's part of what good music's all about ain't it?????

yes......"livin' in the past", by ian anderson and jethro tull is in 5/4 time........i love that tune too!........can't wait to see what music comes up at the bbq this year!......i'm sure that once you're done cookin' you'll be dancin' up a storm sooner or later!.........lookin' forward to it all!!..........................peace.

edited to add the following p.s.:..........i can't dance for poop!.........but i sure enjoy watching folks who can and do dance like there's no tomrrow!...........like those you posted in that video above!.........and, btw, rainbow'sgirl.........the pete seeger, joni mitchell, and most recent nora jones vids you posted were all just fantastic!.........thanks!..........and thanks to all you greasespotters who post such great music here!..........like i said.......i love this thread!..............peace.

Edited by Don'tWorryBeHappy

hiya dooj!

i apologize if i came across as "snotty" or something..........i didn't mean to........

You didn't

one of the great things about music, imo, is that you don't have to know anything about it technically in order to love every note you hear and feel!........AND, FROM WHAT I'VE SEEN OF YOU LIVE AND IN PERSON, IT'S OBVIOUS THAT YOU SURE DO LOVE MUSIC, APPRECIATE IT.......AND YOU SHORE LOVE TO DANCE!!!!!..........and, really, that's part of what good music's all about ain't it?????
Thanks
yes......"livin' in the past", by ian anderson and jethro tull is in 5/4 time........i love that tune too!........can't wait to see what music comes up at the bbq this year!......i'm sure that once you're done cookin' you'll be dancin' up a storm sooner or later!.........lookin' forward to it all!!..........................peace.

I'm taking requests for the menu - start a list dear.

edited to add the following p.s.:..........i can't dance for poop!.........but i sure enjoy watching folks who can and do dance like there's no tomrrow!...........like those you posted in that video above!.........and, btw, rainbow'sgirl.........the pete seeger, joni mitchell, and most recent nora jones vids you posted were all just fantastic!.........thanks!..........and thanks to all you greasespotters who post such great music here!..........like i said.......i love this thread!..............peace.

We'll get you dancing. Bring your shoes and I'll bring mine. ;)