GreaseSpot Cafe

Song of the moment

nandon

:biglaugh:

One of the best* stage show Ive seen in quite awhile,

I'll take that over the high production, over theatric, laser, light show bands almost any day of the week

Good Stuff

* My all time favorite is a little country church i go to for acoustic concerts in the summer.

Its a perfect setting.

Just that peculiar shady kink in the back road from Haydenville to Conway, the juxtaposition of pasture and reservoir and ancient houses.

'Lift your eyes,' wrote T.S. Eliot, 'where the roads dip and where the roads rise./Seek only there, where the grey light meets the green air,/the hermit's chapel, the pilgrim's prayer.'

Well, you can see the chapel quite clearly - the West Whately Chapel, so perfectly proportioned and so neatly set beside the road that you could suspect it of being a movie set. And once a week, on Wednesdays in the summer, the chapel is the setting for the biggest (and the only) music series in the hamlet: Watermelon Wednesdays.

At the break the 50-80 people go outside and eat watermelon and watch the 1000's of bats that live in the church belfry swarm out of the steeple then off into the setting sun..Its a pretty cool "show" :) then everyone goes back in for the second half of the music

Edited by mstar1

Glad you liked it..Thats quite a thing with the four hand Mozart guitar as well. Ive said a million times on this thread that I prefer anyone who plays their instrument and plays it well, whether its on their back porch with no one present or in a big show somehwere doesnt really matter to me anymore that Im older.

I wish I had a tape of yesterday to post for you. The guy who works next door, Jack the Landscaper came over to my shop on Friday afternoon to kibitz and after a beer , played Mozart on harmonica which I had no idea he could do. It was a nice musical surprise to see a 50ish working class good guy like Jack totally unobtrusively rip off into a masterpiece. Good music is everywhere.

Here's a piece that you generally dont hear played on a banjo

Edited by mstar1

I'm in a melancholy mood tonight. A good friend of mine that I used to pick with and camp with at bluegrass festivals in the past, passed away yesterday. This was one of his favorites to do around the campfire late at night after most of the *sensible* folks went to bed. We'd stay up till 3 or 4 in the morning picking music (figuring we'd suffer the consequences the next day), but had a hell-of-a-lotta-fun doing so regardless of that fact.

The following is one that we used to do in the *late-night* sessions.

No You Tube of us doing it, so this will have to suffice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So long Tony. You made your living picking guitar and banjo and though never famous,

you were good enough for me and the audience at hand, and a treat to pick with and listen to.

God speed in your journey. You'll be missed.

Sweet dmiller. Thanks. Ditto on the that. In a somewhat different vein but coming down the pike on a rainy day...The great Mike Finnegan on "Rainy Day, Dream Away"....hahahahahahhhhaha...

...everyone was laughing at the Early Bird Cafe... :)

mornin waysider

Im getting used to reading your tasty sunday morning breakfasts, Im gonna have to make a trip out there one of these days--they all sound too good to pass up..

Ive been listening to some fingerpicked autoharp this morning...something I dont hear very often at all, but a sound I am very fond of ...good for a sunday mornin.

Edited by mstar1

dmiller, socks, mstar1, and waysider......for various reasons, it's been a long while since i've had the joy of perusing my favorite thread here at the spot.......this one......i just listened to this last page, and, all i wanna say is.........i really love youse guys, and the music you post!......thanks!......and, ........i'll be back!.....peace.