GreaseSpot Cafe

Song of the moment

nandon

I bought me self a banjo yesterday

There is no way you can be down playing or listening to a banjo

Congrats!!!!!! What kind did you buy?? I've got two. A 1962 Gibson RB-250 Mastertone, and a 1974 GTR RB-250 "Masterclone".

The older I get, the slower (and more melodic) i.e. "simpler" tunes are more pleasing to me. Here's one (Jens again).

:)

Great Stuff!

I bought a Deering, So far i havent figured out the finger rolls, or whether Im going to play fingerpick or clawhammer style so since Im a more or less guitar flatpicker Ive been flatpicking it for the last few days until I get the real hang of it--which doesnt sound all that bad for the moment ..It fits in with my "make it up as you go--it'll be Ok " outlook.

I havent pulled it out at a get together yet, but Ive been having a ball flatpicking my geetar--I'll bring the banjo this afternoon and see what happens.

Whens you comin over?

We had fresh salmon and 6 hours of pickin last night :)

no one wanted to leave.....

this isnt what we do (yet :wink2: ) but just because he's good

Tommy Emmanuel

Orphan Girl--Crooked Still

I am an orphan on God's highway

But I'll share my troubles if you go my way

I have no mother no father

No sister no brother

I am an orphan girl

I have had friendships pure and golden

But the ties of kinship I have not known them

I know no mother no father

No sister no brother

I am an orphan girl

But when He calls me I will be able

To meet my family at God's table

I'll meet my mother my father

My sister my brother

No more orphan girl

Blessed Savior make me willing

And walk beside me until I'm with them

Be my mother my father

My sister my brother

No more an orphan girl

Edited by mstar1

Yes indeedy--Im addicted to them right now--The cello and banjo make for a great sound, its original yet traditional at the same time and they dont overdue it...They have an

that really appeals to me...Never mind they have a couple of legitimate geniuses in the band. The banjo is played by Dr. Gregory Liszt who when he isnt twanging a banjo is a Professor of Molecular and Cellular biology at MIT. Rushad Eggleston the cellist wa the first cellist to get a full scholarship to Berklee School of Music and had a grammy nomination for cello by the time he was 20....I love 'em..

About the banjo I was telling you about----There was an incident on Saturday night that saddens me...I left the banjo in the back seat of my car and sure enough someone broke into the car while I was away.

It was pretty bad....

someone broke in...

....and left 2 more banjos in my back seat.

:wink2:

I just might have to stick to

for the moment Edited by mstar1

:eusa_clap:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ0ruRDgj_Q&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ0ruRDgj_Q&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ0ruRDgj_Q&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:eusa_clap: MERCY :eusa_clap: ............ :cryhug_1_:

Beautiful, huh Jeff? :)

Sure is. As far as I can remember I don't think I've heard anything that struck my heart just the same way here at the greasespot. If there had been a emoticon that simply showed one tear going down my cheek I would have picked that one instead of the showing compassion/shoulder to cry on.

Charles Ives

The Housatonic at Stockbridge.

I had to post this piece because it is exactly where I spend most of my days, My shop is on the Housatonic River in Stockbridge.

It is part 3 of an extended piece called Three Places in New England

Part One is HERE

and Part Two, HERE

Edited by mstar1

I agree.

Charles Ives was an amazing composer, imo a genius ahead of his time who unfortunately all too often goes unnoticed or underappreciated.

is a rare recording of him playing one of his compositions, a sonata for piano.

It may not be for everyone-I think it is extraordinary myself

Edited by mstar1

Ive had my banjo about a week, it is an addictive drug. I was driving through the hills of Western Virginia today and i found this song on an old CD. I had to stop at every rest area until I had it figured out :biglaugh:

Its much too happy of a sound and fun to play

Uncle Dave Macon--Old Plank Road