GreaseSpot Cafe

Hangover Cures

ChasUFarley

Actually, I've been really good... I hate hangovers with a passion.

BUT... I have a good friend who showed some, let's say, "adult-beverage indiscretion" last night. :evildenk:

After all, it's Motorcycle Week here and summer has begun - party on, dudes and dudettes...

I know there's lots of remedies - home remedies - what do you do or what do you recommend? :cryhug_1_:

This isn't so much of a concoction.....

A doctor friend of mine once said to take a vitamin C, a potassium, two ibuprofrens, and as much water as possible...

It helps a lot if one can do this before the hangover hits.

I know that tomato juice gets used a lot --I suspect it works because it replaces the vitamin C and maybe the potassium.

There are some that believe the "hair of the dog" theory....but I think that's a recipe for disaster.

water water water

drink water between drinks, or put lotsa ice with your drink ...

OK, maybe I am saying don't drink so much

but if you drink hard for a bit, at least get some water down, and some acetominophen

ibuprofin? maybe ... I'd go with four tylenol ...

not that I ever hung out all night at a bar for a few years ... just sayin' ... :)

In Japan they sell a "patent medicine"-type cure for hangovers. It's a nasty peppermint concoction that you're supposed to drink all in one gulp (at least that was my instructions).

Of course, later on that day I ended up getting an amburansu ride to the hospital, so I'm not enitrely sure it works all that well...

In college, my girlfriend and I would often have to take turns playing caretaker...

"Susie, bring me two aspirin, a Sprite and some Mylanta"

And, yeah, I acquired a taste for V-8 Juice later on after a friend insisted it worked better than the above remedy.

My California cousins tried to get me to eat some kind of stew that's supposed to help hangovers - Menudo - made with cow or pig intestines...

6 pounds tripe

5 pounds hominy

4 pigs feet, cut and quartered

1 large onion

1 bunch green onion

1 bunch cilantro

2 tablespoons oregano

1 tablespoon black pepper

1 tablespoon red pepper flakes

1 whole garlic

2 tablespoons salt

6 dry California red chili pods

1 can tomato paste

Good GOD!! MENUDO?? Had it a couple of times... remembered it as being very... ...chewy?

I'd stick with the water remedy. And eat something before you go to bed. That helps, too.

Depends what'ya been drinkin'...

For draught beer hangovers I always preferred opening the fridge, taking the milk jug and gulping it down until I had to stop for a breath and then doing it again... or until the jug was empty.

For the hard stuff -- V-8 followed by lotsa water -- always did the trick

Remember that episode from the "Andy Griffith Show" where Andy serves a hungover Otis this great breakfast that Aunt Bee made in the morning? And Otis just blanched at the food and couldn't eat any? So Andy came up with a great hangover cure that Otis downed and wolfed down his breakfast! Well here is the recipe thanks to Mondern Drunkard Magazine Online. On A Bender In Mayberry

take a tall glass of orange juice, add a big splash of A-1 sauce, a medium dash each of Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco, and plop in a jumbo raw egg. Andy calls it a “fixer-up,” “to hep ya enjoy your food.”

Edited by RottieGrrrl

You know, it's possible to spend a night out at a club, not have a drink, and have a nasty hangover in the morning. It comes from all the smoke-derived carbon monoxide and cyanide. Fresh air is the only cure for that. For an alcohol-derived hangover, I'd recommend water. Lots of times it's dehydration (from excess urination or vomiting) that cuases the symptoms.

George