GreaseSpot Cafe

Birthday Party Ideas

ChasUFarley

Okay, before Hammeroni starts posting about nuts in his mouth, this is for a SIX YEAR OLD... okay?

I had planned a pool party for Kristopher's b-day on Sunday, but it's not looking good. It's only supposed to get up to about 73 that day - might be too cold for a pool party.

We're expecting about 8 kids plus parents.

I bought some of those pool noodle things - the ones made of foam - and they came with markers so kids could personalize them.

I've considered a make-your-own sundae thing, as an alternative to cake.

Maybe a treasure hunt...

Maybe freeze dancing?

Any ideas on whatelse we could do?

Get white poster boards and cut them in half which is plenty big then have each child draw themselves a birthday card. Have them use something that will not ruin your home (crayons over markers) and if you have the extra funds go to one of those everything is a dollar stores and get some stickers and things to embellish them with. It will help teach them to love themselves in a cool way. To see themselves as someone worthy of a card with all the pretty and fun things on it.

All sounds great - the weather is supposed to be 73 degrees that day and partly-sunny. The pool may still be a "go" but I want to be prepared, just in case. We've been lucky in the past in that we either had very hot weather, or one year - get this - I landed a tour of the fire station, complete with a short ride on one of the engines for the group. I think it was for Kristopher's 4th birthday. Anyhow - that was a great party and the fire department did it for free (well... we DO pay taxes... but anyhow... )

Great ideas!

If you have a big back yard get a bunch of cans of Silly String and let them have at it!

Only rules are that they can only get string on each other - not on the house or any of the patio furniture.

Never worked with Silly String before...

Would Silly String tag be an option? "IT" gets the can of silly string and has to spray someone else with it. When they hit someone else, then the new "IT" gets the can?

What do you think? Would it work?

It could work - After being "It" the string would need to be pulled off.

I think that if you got two different colors of string you could almost make it like laser tag

For cake ideas, the mud cake with gummy worms is usually a hit at this age.

You can make any dark cake recipe, scoop into individual containers, I used dump trucks once and beach pails another time (inexpensive at the dollar stores). Then I put gummy worms coming out of each one.

"cool! worms and mud!"

Then they also get the truck or bucket or whatever to take home.

Another time I made individual small cakes and put frosting in 3-4 mustard/ketchup dispensers for each kid. They decorated their own cake.

Fun stuff

Kathy's idea reminded me of....

If your newspaper is printed locally, you can call and ask for the ends of the rolls of newsprint that they don't/can't use. I've always gotten them for packing because they are cleaner than actual printed newspaper. Those rolls are HUGE (About 5 ft. tall) - you'll need your minivan to pick 'em up. :wink2:

Have each child lay down on the paper and draw an outline of the child. Then have the child decorate him/herself. Then, if you want, they could cut out the picture and line everyone up. We did this in Vacation Bible School when I was little. Each of us drew ourselves in Joseph's Coat of Many Colors.

As for cake - I love Shellon's idea with the gummy worms!!

You could adapt this Litter Box Recipe and use gummy worms instead of Tootsie Rolls:

1 spice or German chocolate cake mix

1 white cake mix

2 large pkg vanilla instant pudding mix, prepared (I like Bird's® dessert mix)

1 large pkg vanilla sandwich cookies

green food coloring

12 small Tootsie Rolls®

1 new kitty litter pan

1 new plastic kitty litter pan liner

1 new pooper scooper

Prepare cake mixes and bake according to directions (any size pans).

Prepare pudding mix and chill until ready to assemble.

Crumble white sandwich cookies in small batches in food processor, scraping often. Set aside all but about 1/4 cup. To the 1/4 cup cookie crumbs, add a few drops green food coloring and mix until completely colored.

When cakes are cooled to room temperature, crumble into a large bowl. Toss with half the remaining white cookie crumbs and the chilled pudding. Important: mix in just enough of the pudding to moisten it. You don't want it too soggy. Combine gently.

Line a new, clean kitty litter box. Put the cake/pudding/cookie mixture into the litter box.

Put three unwrapped Tootsie rolls in a microwave safe dish and heat until soft and pliable. Shape ends so they are no longer blunt, curving slightly. Repeat with 3 more Tootsie rolls bury them in the mixture. Sprinkle the other half of cookie crumbs over top. Scatter the green cookie crumbs lightly on top of everything -- this is supposed to look like the chlorophyll in kitty litter.

Heat 3 Tootsie Rolls in the microwave until almost melted. Scrape them on top of the cake; sprinkle with cookie crumbs. Spread remaining Tootsie Rolls over the top; take one and heat until pliable, hang it over the side of the kitty litter box, sprinkling it lightly with cookie crumbs. Place the box on a newspaper and sprinkle a few of the cookie crumbs around for a truly disgusting effect!

I've made it several times before and it's always a huge hit!

kittylitter.jpg

I'm not sure what the official name is but it's sort of a blow up room that kids jump around in.

You can rent them.

Kids have a riot on them, and it will surely wear the the little monsters out.

A Bounce House....

We've done the silly string tag thing at Zachary's b'day a few years ago. Had two kids on each team, had 4 teams (could only find four colors), they would tag team to play silly string tag. Then we gave out prizes for best aim, fastest, slowest, messiest, etc...

Then we had a make your own pizza time. Dining room table was set up with different toppings, had pre-cooked pizza crusts, so the boys just loaded whatever they wanted on their pizza, then hand it to an adult to be put in the oven. In a few minutes they were eating their own creations! It was SOOO fun to watch em!!!

I've also taken a fridge box (empty, of course) made it into the shape, color, etc. of a firetruck (this was when Zach turned 5), had a friend's kid sit inside the "firetruck". I fashioned hoses out of some old yard hoses....when the kids "put their firehoses in the truck" they got little gifts (yo-yo's, etc...)

I have a book around here somewhere, unless it got destroyed in the flood we had in our basement with ALL kinds of kid party ideas!!!! You can probably do a book search on amazon.com for children party ideas. It will be worth its weight in gold!!!

Edited by Cindy!

I have seen a similiar cake done in a large,. new. clean terra cotta pot

You use chocolate cake crumbs over the pudding cake and then bury the gummy worms.

For girls just add artificial flowers, For boys - I'd use plastic greenery and plastic frogs...

Have fun! ;)

Edited by doojable

A 'treasure' hunt, just like an egg hunt but with candy in shiny wrappers(I used Brachs which I bought by the scoop, was very well received.

Also, a balloon pop--where the balloons have tickets for prizes inside. Kids sit on the balloons to pop them.

• 3 weeks later...

OH MAN --

First of all - THANK YOU to all for your suggestions and input. The day was a SUCCESS!

The weather was cooler than we had expected, so we played more games and had less pool time. There was a total of ten kids (our two and eight guests).

I started off by having the kids make a drawing of what they would look like if they were a car - on a paperplate - and then they got to use the paperplate to bop balloons into the air - and keep them there.

We had a frog hunt (I had hidden a couple of dozen of stretchy rubber frogs around our property.) I gave out prizes to who got the most, the least, a green frog, etc. - until EVERYONE had a prize at some point.

I found a pool noodle kit where the kids could personalize their own pool noodle (they were at Wal-Mart) - and I got one for each kid - that was a hit!

We played red light/green light using balloons - not words.

We did "freeze dancing" to the Cars (movie) theme song.

We swam in the pool for about 45 mins.

Of course there was food, cake - and I had put out adult beverages for the parents and grown-up snacks - the moms who came stayed and loved it.

Everyone had a great time - it was a HIT!

So...

THANKS AGAIN!!!!