GreaseSpot Cafe

The Cone of Dean

Raf

In the meantime, Texas, watch out for Tropical Storm Erin, which should be hitting around Thursday or Friday off the gulf coast.

Fortunately, Erin doesn't look like it will do much damage other than the typical flash flooding we get. Dean is a much bigger threat, if it stays on the current track. If it becomes a very big storm and keeps on a route that might take it to Texas, then my wife, daughter, and I will be sent to Dallas.

this year we had an early May and early June tropical storm ... Erin is the 5th TS, no hurricanes

2006 had only 4 tropical storms by this time

2005 had 4 hurricanes by this time, and 5 tropical storms that didn't become hurricanes ...

then came TS Jose and Katrina and TS Lee, before the end of August ...

2004 had 3 hurricanes, 2 TS by now ...

Hopefully Dean doesn't want to party on Bourbon Street ...

One of the Houston weathermen todaymentioned that there is an upper-level low off the west coast of Florida that is moving westward. If Dean maintains its present speed, the low will keep it south (around Brownsville or Mexico). If Dean slows down, though, the low might be in a position to drag it up north towards Houston.

Fast Dean -- GOOD!

Slow Dean -- BAD!

George

I lived in Houston when hurricane Alicia hit in the early 80's...we had never been in a hurricane before, so we did what a lot of other people did...we had a hurricane party!

...That is, until it hit!...the party ended abruptly. All I can say is that if you know a hurricane is headed your way...LEAVE TOWN asap...and take your pets with you.

Stay safe everyone.