GreaseSpot Cafe

diamond rings

batcave

So my boyfriend and I have been looking at rings (yes, he will go without a gun to his back :love3: ) and we've found some lovely options. Recently he found a website called bidz.com that sells lots of jewelry for seemingly ridiculously low prices.

Anybody have any experience with that website or buying jewelry online? What should we be aware of? Forget the old two months salary thing. I don't want to wait that long and I don't want us to be in debt just for a ring. I'd really love to have a sterling silver ring, but I think I could wear white gold, and I like an oval cut diamond.

Would opt for white gold over sterling silver. You have to clean sterling too often, and the cleansing paste or liquid gets all over the jewel, and then it has to be cleaned or it loses it's shine. Also think sterling prongs would wear out too easily, and the stone could be lost. Sterling is much softer than white gold.

No experience with buying jewelry online, so no input there.

Suda

Edited by Suda

I think Coolchef has the best insight (not saying the others are bad)... talk to Onion Eater. He's got the experience that will help you know what to look for.

Oh, and this thread reminded me of a song from the 60s or 70s (I forget which)... This Diamond Ring... maybe our good friend Dr. Sudo can find a recording online for us?

Nevermind... I found it...

You get what you pay for.

Precious metals, like gold, and precious gems are generally found at market value. If something is a "steal" - if something sounds too good to be true - then it's not up to snuff. It's best to do some reading about how to make that sorta purchase and then decide for yourself. That's not the sorta purchase that you want to have any regrets about later on...

(Chas has a little training in this area, as I worked as an apprentice jewler for over a year...)

METALS:

Pure gold - 24K - is combined with other alloys to make 14KT or 10KT gold. White gold is made simply by using other alloys to make it appear to be silver or "white". White gold is still at 14KT or 10KT weights. Outside the USA, you will see other weights of gold such as 16KT or 18KT or even 22KT. Since 10KT gold is the least amount of gold, you might want to opt for a white 10KT gold setting. It's rare to find diamonds set in sterling silver. Sterling silver can be hard to size - if your hands change size through the years and you find you need your ring(s) resized it may be that you'll have to have the whole settings tweaked. I would advise that you go with the white gold, but that's your choice.

STONES:

Diamonds are not only measured by size - i.e. 1CT or 0.75CT, but also but Cut, Clarity, and Color. A yellow or pink tinted diamond is worth more than a white diamond. If the clarity or sparkle of the stone is important, be prepared to pay more for a small stone than you might for a large but "muddy" looking diamond.

That being said...

You might want to consider an alternative precious gem to a diamond. Aquamarines are popular in wedding sets, as are emeralds, sapphires, and even ruby. One reason why diamonds are popular in wedding sets is because of their durability but there are other very lovely stones that might be just - if not more so - beautiful and meaningful to you and the future Mr. Batcave.

Finally - talk with some local jewelers. Tell them about what you want (i.e. white gold) and what you don't want (i.e. debt!) - let them work with you and your budget for a best fit. Don't let yourself be pressured by any of them or their salespeople until you're in agreement on the thing. Again - no regrets.

Oh, by the way - there's a lot of issues with the web site you've mentioned - Bidz.com- here's some reviews:

http://www.epinions.com/msg/show_~threads/...8/forum_id_~145

Congrats on your engagement!

Edited by ChasUFarley

Thanks for the input. I'll try to pm onion eater soon. I'm allergic to gold but I thought I might be able to wear white gold. I've been gem mining in NC and have some lovely rubies and sapphires I'd like to get cut an put in a ring sometime.

Thanks for the input. I'll try to pm onion eater soon. I'm allergic to gold but I thought I might be able to wear white gold. I've been gem mining in NC and have some lovely rubies and sapphires I'd like to get cut an put in a ring sometime.

By ALL means -- contact OnionEater. His reputation is impeccable. :)

Click on ------>>> YOUR JEWELRY IS READY, from 2004.

(And --- OE keeps bumping it back to the top, hoping to find the person(s) involved. :)

Some people have considered using a man-made CZ to save money. The idea is to put all their funds toward the purchase of a house...while having acceptable looking wedding jewelry. Knowing what I know now - I might have been tempted to go that route myself so long ago if the facsimile was available.

Ever thought of buying a semi-mount ring?

My daughter did this...so that she got a gorgeous 14K white gold mounting with diamonds; then she put a daimond simulant as the center stone. She saved thousands of dollars and no one can tell...not even jewelers unless they heat test the stone.

The mounting makes the ring, not the rock. Plus, diamonds are VERY COMMON...not rare as marketers will tell you. Ever notice how many jewelry stores have diamonds in EVERY CITY in the nation??

I recently purchased a semi-mount ring and had a 2 carat lab created ruby set in it. Lab created stones are perfect...no spots or imperfections at all, and they are VERY eye-catching. I get compliments on my ruby ring all the time.

Lab created stones are real...they're just created under pressure in the lab rather than in the ground.

this site sells semi-mounts with super quality and great pricing...I bought mine from them.

http://www.diamondharmony.com/catalog/Side..._Rings-21-.html