GreaseSpot Cafe

Posting Boards

ex70sHouston

I enjoy this site more than I can tell you because it offers me a safe place to spend time on the web. The web becoming a place where I can waste time and have fun.

Now my question to all the great people here. I am thinking about a web site similar to this but more mainstream. Would it work? Is it needed?

I visit here and also a site on Texas High School football. I like them because they get my mind going to more positive things. My thought is that either I haven't found any sites or there aren't any out there.

Maybe I'm just asking where do you spend your time on the web where it doesn't cost money and its not filled with pictures.

I used to be a part of a forum for a specific school activity. It was called "Odyssey of the Mind" and later was called "Destination Imagination." The site was set up for coaches of these teams to be able to support each other.

ex70's there's all kinds of message boards out there - pick a topic you like or what you'd like the "atmosphere" to be like and invite some folks to check it out.

I have participated in quite a few message boards and met some really great folks online. I don't get online as much lately as I used to, but I have kept in touch with many folks from those message boards. I've even met some of them in person kinda like some of the folks here at the Cafe.

Figure out what your interests are, then look for messageboards that cover that.

There's usually at least one for almost any SPECIFIC thing, and dozens, hundreds or thousands

that cover the GENERAL subject.

For example, there's over a thousand Christian messageboard, but few for

Christian heavy metal fans.

I visit and post(but mostly lurk) on a board called Harp-L.

It is a discussion forum for all things relating to harmonicas.

Some of the greatest harmonica players and technicians in the world participate on this site.

A lot of the people know each other in the "real" world so the conversation is usually quite cordial and informative.

The site is free, but not devoid of pictures and audio since many times people will post links to related information.

The point is, whether you are interested in harmonicas or skateboards or transmission repair, there is something out there in cyber space that can address your interests.

I participate in some genealogy message boards, but that is about it.

Dooj- OM was a great program. I coached the balsa structure team at our school for several years.

When it changed to DI, our first grade team won the daVinci Award for creativity.

I coached for 4 yrs

as a point of clarification, "Odyssey of the Mind" and "Destination Imagination" are two different organizations, both with similiar programs and wonderful experiences for their K thru college participants. DI splintered off in 1999 from the long-lived Odyssey of the Mind. (earlier it was called Olympics of the Mind- but the IOC excercised copyright infringemnet rights)

(sorry for the off topic, but back to your topic)