GreaseSpot Cafe

Stroke patient care, etc

Scout Finch02

My best friend's sister suffered a massive stroke. She is only 51. She lives alone and no one found her for two days so that made matters worse. She is in intensive care and is not responding to anything. My best friend, Lefty, is trying to be practical and figure out what needs to be done as the rest of the family is in shock. His sister's docs say that she suffered extensive damage and will never recover beyond a vegetative state. Her brain is very damaged, but her body is very healthy as she was in good shape and took care of herself so she could live quite awhile and needs care.

The kind of info I am looking for is:

Information on transporting her from where she lives in Atlanta, GA to where the majority of her family lives in Massachusetts. Does anyone know how a family that is not wealthy can transport an unconscious person in need of round the clock care a long distance? If she were in Massachusetts, family could visit and help care for her. I was wondering if anyone knows of charitable groups that will help with this at a cost that an average person can afford.

Lefty's sister has paid into social security and medicare since she was a teenager. She has worked her entire life. Is it possible to get social security benefits and medicare even though she is only 51? Neither Lefty or I have had any experience with social security and medicare (other than seeing it taken out of our paychecks) so we don't even know where to start.

Any websites, personal experience, etc would be appreciated.

she should be able to use social security benefits ...

They shouldn't sign anything where they agree to pay for her expenses without consulting a lawyer. Family is not liable as far as I know, but hospitals and doctors would love to get someone to sign on a line to collect from them. The government should cover everything once she cannot. The hospitals probably just need her social security number and can figure out the rest.

There may even be government payments to the family if they want to care for her themselves. That would be quite a task, but as I understand there are programs to aid in that, since it is cheaper for the government than full time hospital care.

But there are smarter people here than I on this subject, so hopefully they will contribute.

During my father's last days, he requested to go to be by his family. We flew him by Lier(sp) jet to his homeland and the ambulance met us at the airport. The jet was very small, enough room for the nurse, the gurney and my sister and self.

My sister made the arrangements for transportation, I will get back to you.

I also am positive the hospital can provide services as well.

Edited by likeaneagle

During my father's last days, he requested to go to be by his family. We flew him by Lier(sp) jet to his homeland and the ambulance met us at the airport. The jet was very small, enough room for the nurse, the gurney and my sister and self.

My sister made the arrangements for transportation, I will get back to you.

Already some good insight provided in response to your question, Scout.

One of the more important things already mentioned, consulting an attorney... because of the range of issues, the insight of more than one attorney (different specialties/focus of practice) might be important.

Yes, your sister's friend WOULD likely qualify for SSDI (social security disability insurance) benefits. There are attorney's that specialize in disability law. The social security administration gives (almost) everyone seeking benefits a hard time. In this case, they wouldn't be able to claim (pretend) that the person could really work in her current condition, but because (if) she's not expected to emerge from the coma or coma like condition, they might be reluctant to keep someone like that on perpetual life support.

As to covering medical expenses incurred thus far, IF the patient has assets (home w/equity, savings, etc.), the state's medicaid agency may insist that some or all of those resources be used before they start picking up the tab.

As to transport, I have no clue, but do see a need to consult legal counsel in both GA and MA... because state laws/rules from each state may have different provisions for certain aspects of the situation. Yes, medicaid is federal, but it's administered by state agencies. Because of that, the feds allow some things to be determined by the state with some things governed solely by federal laws and regs.

Edited by Rocky

Can you clarify what state the patient is in?  Is she on life support of any kind, intervenious drip, respirator, feeding tube?  What does unconscience mean?  Vegetative state or coma?  Or brain dead/life support?

Is she in an acute hospital, rest home, or residential care home?  

Angel Flight is a private pilot flying his own aircraft on a volunteer basis.

The main webpage for all the regions you'd need is now at www.aircharitynetwork.org.  The website says ambulatory, though.

I don't know whether the situation qualifies for angelflight/aircharitynetwork though, IMO.  

If she's in a hospital, they do have social workers whose job it is to help with this kind of problem.

If she's able to be transported laying down in a van or suv, or even a sleeper train without medical care, just asssistance, someone in the family could accompany and even hire a nurse to help.

Medivac flights cost alot to go that far, usually about 15k-25k, and someone has to pay.  From what you've stated previously, it sounds like that is the only way she can be moved.  If so, she might be relegated to stay in Georgia until the family can muster the dough.

Edited by but now I see

Thanks for your help. My friend, Lefty, said it may not be an issue. His sister is totally on life support - machines are doing everything for her - food, breathing, etc. The family is going to make a decision this week and right now it seems like the majority believe she would have wanted to have the life support discontinued and be allowed to pass. Please keep Lefty and his family in your prayers. Thanks.

Edited by Scout Finch02

God first

Beloved Scout Finch02

God loves you and your friend's sister and family

In all towns there are Social Workers they are found at hospital and food stamp places

the social security offices have Social Workers too

Social Workers can sign her up for social security

the red cross can help

the untited way may all so help

any hospital can direct along with law officers and Fire departments

hope this has helped

thank you

with love and a holy kiss blowing your way Roy

Scout,

Lefty and family are in my prayers. My sister-n-law suffered a brain aneurysm recently and she is now in rehab. She is 51 also, but will be 52 next month.

This is a tough time for Lefty's family making decisions that one shouldn't have to make for a 51-yr old. God bless each of them.

My friend Lefty called me Sunday morning and told me that they had disconnected his sister from all life support equipment Saturday morning at 10 am. The docs expected her to expire within a few hours. As of Sunday night, she was still alive, but they expect her to pass in the next day or so. Ironically, because she was so healthy and in good physical shape, she will take longer to expire.

Thanks for all of your prayers. Lefty is sad, but doing OK. Thankfully, everyone in the family agreed to let her go and not do the indefinite life support route.

Coincidentally, I was revising my will and asked my lawyer to add a health care directive to the list. I don't know that my family would agree as harmoniously as Lefty's did, so I want to save them the agony of having to decide by letting them know in very specific terms what my wishes are.

Please consider preparing some sort of health care directive or declaration to save your family the agony and turmoil of making that decision. You may think that talking it over with a spouse or others is enough, but having it in writing with very specific language is much, much better when your loved ones may be too emotional to be rational.

((((Scout)))) Thanks for the update and it is a tough decision no matter what. God Bless All of Lefty's family and YOU!!!

It is a good idea to update our wills. Thanks for the encouragement.

ALL details concerning what happens when we or ours are unable to think clearly should be in writing and early ...

The later pain from the sincere and noble, or insincere and malicious; can be alleviated by clear written and witnessed discussion ahead of time. It never seems the right time, but now is the time.