GreaseSpot Cafe

A shoestring and a prayer

skyrider

Did wierwille build anything of substance? Through the decades, it seems like wierwille scratched and clawed his way forward by manipulation, intimidation and coercion............hardly a movement of God.

* Stole BG Leonard's class in 1953 to jump-start his lack-luster work.

* Stayed on the payroll at the Van Wert church until 1957.......not quite the George Mueller, eh?

* Convinced his brother Harry to bankroll the renovations of the old farmhouse and a new office.

* Talked his brother Rueben and sisters, Lydia & Sevilla, to sell off their portion of farm/property.

* On weekend labor, some carpenters and followers built the Ecumenical Center, the BRC.

* The trailer park era......single-wides and later, double. Whoa! :)

* Emporia Campus......Rome City Campus..........using free labor, corps labor.

* OSC......a shell.....a warehouse area......and later, offices and cafeteria/dining room.

* Finally, two months before wierwille's death.......the auditorium is finished.

No matter how one tries to re-write twi history, it sure looks like "scratching and clawing one's way to success" rather than a genuine movement of God. Maybe, it's the manner of corraling the control into his corner......maybe it's the lack of forethought and the trailer park at hq........maybe, it's the auditorium that is SO NON-FUNCTIONAL and not suited for any versatility except productions (even Sunday teachings are *distant* and cold from the elevated pulpit).

Seems that wierwille built it on "a shoestring and a prayer"........er, a scam.

:unsure:

I think those he scammed the worst were his offspring.. all he left them was his name..

No doubt, in his wildest imaginations.....could wierwille have ever thought that his kids would bail out of twi and Don would die so prematurely.....AND that mrs. w would be so neglected and treated so poorly as she neared the end of her life. But hey..........in wierwille's pyramid structure, the one at the top gets all the perks and accolades and everyone else follows the marching orders.

Sad....for sure.

Edited by skyrider

WordWolf again.

Did wierwille build anything of substance? Through the decades, it seems like wierwille scratched and clawed his way forward by manipulation, intimidation and coercion............hardly a movement of God.

* Stole BG Leonard's class in 1953 to jump-start his lack-luster work.

And stole Stiles' book for the same, adding Bullinger, sometimes giving him credit, sometimes not, for the same reason.

* Stayed on the payroll at the Van Wert church until 1957.......not quite the George Mueller, eh?

Disliked them enough to criticize them, liked them enough to take their money and use their resources to start his

own business on the side while they paid the upkeep for the office. Clever, but dishonest, and not Christian.

* Convinced his brother Harry to bankroll the renovations of the old farmhouse and a new office.

Making the property all part of a non-profit, exempting it all from taxes while allowing him complete use of it.

* Talked his brother Rueben and sisters, Lydia & Sevilla, to sell off their portion of farm/property.

But retaining its use, since the non-profit served him, and presumably, them.

Added the Kipp farm, too, Mrs W's inheritance or something.

* On weekend labor, some carpenters and followers built the Ecumenical Center, the BRC.

Using twi "followers" as manpower, he was able to skip paying some of them. Economical.

* The trailer park era......single-wides and later, double. Whoa! :)

HOME-BUILT the trailers in the beginning- didn't even buy the initial ones all safe and sealed.

Saved who-knows-how-much in exchange for making them of inferior quality.

Oh, and trailers are still in use to this day, there, for long-term residency.

* Emporia Campus......Rome City Campus..........using free labor, corps labor.

Both to remodel, and to maintain. Few salaries for groundskeeping, corps PAID to do the work.

* OSC......a shell.....a warehouse area......and later, offices and cafeteria/dining room.

* Finally, two months before wierwille's death.......the auditorium is finished.

Oddly enough, the opposite of the other things. Rather than pinching each penny until Lincoln screamed in pain,

he had it richly appointed, far more expensive than it needed to be.

Usually, that was reserved for things reserved for his personal use...

No matter how one tries to re-write twi history, it sure looks like "scratching and clawing one's way to success" rather than a genuine movement of God. Maybe, it's the manner of corraling the control into his corner......maybe it's the lack of forethought and the trailer park at hq........maybe, it's the auditorium that is SO NON-FUNCTIONAL and not suited for any versatility except productions (even Sunday teachings are *distant* and cold from the elevated pulpit).

Seems that wierwille built it on "a shoestring and a prayer"........er, a scam.

:unsure:

I think those he scammed the worst were his offspring.. all he left them was his name..

And that's not exactly something you'd necessarily want.

I mean, the name "Sinatra" is free publicity, especially if you are a performer who's Frank S' kid.

On the other hand, Jeff Gilooly changed his own name because it was TOO recognizable.

Re: the auditorium

Now remember, we must always call it by its full name, "The Dr. Victor Paul Wierwille Auditorium" (or something like that) and never "The VPW Auditorium". <_<

My memory is fuzzy on this, but didn't VPW insist, at one point during early construction phases, that the rebar in one particular section had to be stainless steel (instead of regular steel that normal humans would use) because God gave him revelation to that effect?

If I recall correctly, a portion of the construction had to be torn out and redone to correct that matter.

We had a special offering at the twig I attended, several weeks in a row, to help defray the costs of the corrections.

One of my great regrets in life is that I had a "crap-o" job at the time and wasn't able to contribute huge amounts to such a worthwhile project.

I could be wrong in my recollection.