GreaseSpot Cafe

MALPacks!

Tom Strange

Now to keep those tunes playing here is the solution

Global Solar™

SUNLINQ™

Foldable PV Modules

SL-6.5, SL-12 and SL-25

Global Solar thin-film photovoltaic technology is perfect for charging many consumer products. Lightweight, foldable and durable, their solar cell designs are a proven product already used in space, military equipment, and large grid systems. Their consumer products are designed to charge and maintain your batteries and provide power for your portable electronics including cell phones, PDA devices, and MP3 players. These solar products are great for campers, hikers or anyone who spends extended time outdoors.

post-1237-1197494524_thumb.jpg

Nice item birdie ...

I still think you have to get ice for your drink ... and if it is winter and you are in the cold, use snow, or scrape the ice ... in the summer where do you get the ice? And for us midwest folks, there isn't much sun in winter ...

Solar cells are warm and fuzzy to think about, but really expensive and difficult to keep working. But that item would be nice for running the ipod ... and I guess you could recharge that blender on a sunny day. I'm thinking there would be other priorities though ... getting food, keeping commies at bay ... witnessing and undershepherding at least 8 hours per day ... :biglaugh:

I doubt the little 6th WC princess who was the leadership where we lived would have even remotely considered advising any of us of the impending disaster. We would have been totally expendable in her snobbish little mind. She was a WOMAN OF GOD, doncha know, with in-depth spiritual understanding and awareness, and not a one of us was worthy of the privilege of carrying her jock strap. Or whatever.

On the other hand, we were blissfully unaware of the catastrophe that never happened.

WG

I doubt the little 6th WC princess who was the leadership where we lived would have even remotely considered advising any of us of the impending disaster. We would have been totally expendable in her snobbish little mind. She was a WOMAN OF GOD, doncha know, with in-depth spiritual understanding and awareness, and not a one of us was worthy of the privilege of carrying her jock strap. Or whatever.

On the other hand, we were blissfully unaware of the catastrophe that never happened.

WG

Maybe she just was sparing you from the BS ... but sure, I was ready to offer up "my" little WOWs as human sacrifices ... LOL ... no really, we bought warm clothes for all, and some millet, it was kinda exciting ... and I think I paid for the clothes ... not all of us snobs were so quick to offer up the expendable ... unless I ran out of food or booze ... :evildenk:

I'm curious what the time frame was on these MAL o' packs.

WG and I were both in FLO at the same time(mid 1970s) and neither one of us had heard of them.

Did they arrive at a later time?

Now, understand, in FLO we were like walking, talking, living, breathing MAL o' packs.

Our very life style was centered on the "urgency of the times" and an impending catastrophic event. :rolleyes:

The gubermint is out to shut us down and stop the verd from moving, dontcha know?

Oh, and by the way-----Have that weekly "manna fee" paid by Wednesday or you'll have to venture out into the world all by yourself and face the perils of the approaching communist hoards.

(In other words, we'll send your happy arse packin'.)

Yup. Gotta keep those cupboards stocked with plenty of familia.

Ya just never know when you will have to resort to methane as an energy source. :biglaugh:

HAHAHAHA!

Just happened to think about that root cellar debacle.

Heck, I was right there and STILL didn't get an honest answer as to why the structure collapsed.

Man oh man. Those guys were masters of spin.

The MAL Pack thing was inconsistent at best. I was under the impression that the "danger" had passed by the time I went on my Interim year. I never heard about folks on the field gathering supplies until after I graduated from the 11th corps.

I remember raising and eyebrow and saying, "You're still doing that?"

Looking back, the inconsistent amount of information should have been the biggest red flag of all.

It was on 9th corps interim year that we were told .. something ... but we were to get food, shotgun, warm clothes ... ready to live in the woods for a bit I think ... I really don't know if the term Mal pack applied to that ... I think we weren't supposed to tell the WOWs, but I let it out that there was a story, true or not ... we even bought some junk silver, and sold it at a little profit a few months later ...

I forget what they said ... some possible threat, be prepared ... I'm thinking it may have just been economic collapse, not really sure about the commie invasion part .. I don't think so ...

ask Br1tt Lyinn ...

No thanks...

I couldn't agree more Groucho. Funny thing about old Vicster's ability to revelate... he told (illegal block voting) all of the corps to vote for Jimmy Carter since he was an avowed Christian. (Now the way he did it (no pun intended) was typical of Vic. He simply said, "I'm voting for Jimmy Carter." and that was all that was needed.) Three years later Jimmy Carter was working for the devil himself when inflation hit >21% per annum and Vicster was convinced the world was coming to an end. So much for that forward thinking kinda god Vic touted. Additionally he showed himself to have no more political process knowledge than a TV journalist. Every four years journalists talk about (potentially outgoing) president snodgrass's fiscal policy but the constitution puts the onus for fiscal policy directly in the hands of the legislature. Vic the molester??? Blamed his one time favorite presidential candidate.

I mentioned MALPacks on another thread and WG said that she'd never heard of them...

So I'm setting up this topic for folks to tell us what they know about "More Abundant Life Packs"...

What was the logic/theory behind them?

What did you have in yours?

Do you still have yours?

And anything else you care to share... thanks to all!

i'll just share that silk sea sponges are disgusting

No, she wasn't trying to spare us the BS. This is the chick who, when a baby was born in our branch with a correctable but serious birth defect, refused to tell the PFAL-grad grandparents what was wrong. " All you need to know is to speak in tongues." She informed them.

What a compassionate, tenderhearted woman of God!

Makes me want to regurgitate.

WG

No, she wasn't trying to spare us the BS. This is the chick who, when a baby was born in our branch with a correctable but serious birth defect, refused to tell the PFAL-grad grandparents what was wrong. " All you need to know is to speak in tongues." She informed them.

WG

Ahhhhh Yes! The belief that as long as you never said what was wrong it wasn't really wrong.... <_<

So many errors, so little time.

I mentioned MALPacks on another thread and WG said that she'd never heard of them...

So I'm setting up this topic for folks to tell us what they know about "More Abundant Life Packs"...

What was the logic/theory behind them?

What did you have in yours?

Do you still have yours?

And anything else you care to share... thanks to all!

And in answer to the original question: I still have my "Kelty Serac II" back pack. The biggest one that Kelty made at that time. I still have some of the acoutrements (sp?) that were in it, but I have long since beefed up my hunting and camping gear. Not for survival purposes in light of an impending World Catastrophe, but rather for the sake of having what I need should I get lost or hurt hunting in the Alaskan wilds. I have used my big old "Mal Pack" for packing out moose and deer meat many a time. For moose I just use the pack frame, but for deer, I use the pack as well. That was one of the good things I got out of the corps, and still use it to this day...

P.S.

A really great fire starter is cotton balls. Dip them in melted wax and voila! Really good fire starters! Road flares are best though, although I've never packed them before because the cotton balls have proved good enough...

WG

Did the baby get the problem corrected?

Yeah, it is a shame that common sense but difficult solutions were ignored/replaced with "just believe". One good person came to me with an eating disorder ... I shared what I could, offered support, and said "you really need to get professional help, this is over my head" .. years later she called and said she had, and shared some details, maybe intending to help me back :)

I imagine I had some wrong attitudes about many things that stepped on people the wrong way, but I still think you have to look at even those that were in the corps as individuals, not all the same as you seem to indicate here

I strongly suspected when I read a reference to it on the "Norway" thread that we mere humble peons were to be the sacrificial lambs, left for slaughter while God's holiest headed for the hills to preserve the ministry. Thanks a lot, y'all. I could have died in a concentration camp, happy and secure in the knowledge that my suffering and death had delayed the heathen hoards of the US Government from rounding up y'all and snuffing out the shining light of PFAL.

And you wonder why I don't trust leadership types.

I really think I saw my role more as protecting people from the wolves, not throwing them to the wolves. But there was the notion that the enemy would want to get the leaders ... though I don't remember living with that in any real terms, more just intoned as some sort of vague spiritual attack. :rolleyes:

(I guess there were those prophets hidden in a cave, back somewhere in the OT)

It is a good idea not to trust "leadership" (whatever that means to you today?), but I don't think everyone in the corps fit so neatly into the same package even then.

I know there were a lot of good guys out there who considered it their responsibility before God to feed God's sheep and protect them. She just wasn't one of them.

And yes, the baby was life-flighted to Children's in Columbus at 3 hours of age, the problem was surgically corrected, and the last I saw him, years ago at a ROA, he was a strapping teenager, looked healthy as a horse. Mom and dad were rightfully thankful to the folks who did the surgery, and the quick action of the doctors at the local hospital who diagnosed the problem and called for the chopper. Also rightfully ticked off at Ms. WC for her high and mighty attitude with the grandparents.

WG