GreaseSpot Cafe

Mr. H HELP

ex70sHouston

You know my opinion of tree rats, I mean squirrels.

It seems that several have opened a hole in the side of my house and have moved into the attic.

Do I seal the hole and then trap them in the attic. Is there something that will drive them from my house. Putting a trap outside my be tough. There is a creek that runs behind the house and I don't want to try and catch all of them.

What do I us for bait in a live trap?

Please help your little cousins and I promise to release them many miles from here.

I've done this particular chore several times for clients.

I use a small "Hav-a-hart" trap (basically a wire cage with a door that snaps shut and locks) and bait it with peanut butter or corn. Try to wire the bait to the trigger of the trap as securely as you can so you know they'll trip it without getting out of jail free. What you do with them after they're trapped is up to you. (I generally just put the trap - with it's occupants - in a bucket of water for ten minutes or so).

Plugging the hole they've made is best done with sheet metal, if you can do that and still make it look halfway decent. Plug it up with wood, and they'll be back to chewing on it in a day or two - uh, unless you employ my method of dealing with the trapped critters. "Born-free" sensiblities don't translate well into real-life wildlife management, IMHO...

However you choose to get them (and keep them) out of your attic, I encourage you to do so quickly. In spite of Ham being a friendly squirelly sort, YOUR rodents can do lots of damage.

This time of year they enjoy nesting near the warmth of ceiling light fixtures. What they bring to build a nest with can be extremely flammable, and they have been known to gnaw on nearby electric wires. I have traced electrical problems in a house to squirrel nests, and found "short circuited" squirrels still attached to the wires.

Many insurance policies do not cover rodent damage by the way. You might check yours.

~HAP

You should probably check your local laws to find out what action is required with the critters once you capture them. Around here, raccoons are very prevalent and they can carry rabies. For that reason, the law here prohibits relocation of trapped animals. They either have to be released elsewhere on the same property or destroyed.

Squirrels are not as likely to carry rabies but they certainly can. Some people may find it cruel to destroy the trapped animals but it may be the only legal recourse.

Besides, it's better to sacrifice a few varmints than put human life in jeopardy.(IMO)

Edited by waysider

I got one. Hauled him about 10 miles away and reeased him down by the river.

When he clesred the cage he was moving.

I have the trap rebated in case friends come back.

I am trying to get one of my sons to get up and patch the hole.

He weighed a lot for the small size. I was suprised he didn't act up when I carried him out of the attic.