GreaseSpot Cafe

Bowl Games

Danny

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know much about LSU; never followed them, but growing up in MI there was already an us against them type rivalry between U of M (which defeated Fla. yesterday, YAY) and Michigan State. However, if you're a U. of Michigan fan, you NEVER root for Ohio State...in ANYTHING! Mortal sin.

Back in '76 I hung with a guy who graduated from U. of MI the previous year. We were watching the baseball playoffs that year. The AL featured Yankees vs Royals and this guy was rooting for the Royals...UNTIL he found out that Royals pitching coach Galen Cisco had attended Ohio State. GO YANKEES! (IIRC there's a small road sign honoring Galen Cisco somewhere in St. Marys, where he is originally from).

I'm not that fanatical, but I'll be rooting for LSU next Monday. Always had to bite my tongue about being a Michigan fan around TWI HQ.

Also, congats to Mizzou for defeating Arkansas in the Cotton bowl yesterday.

Edited by johniam

I will watch lots more.

Saw a few already.

LSU vs. Ohio

We are going to beat the snot out of those buckeyes.

This is the SEC

You boys come on down we will take your money and whip

your arses.

yeah... that attitude worked miracles for Arkansas yesterday didn't it? but Georgia did look good against the WAC's representative... has the SEC won any of their other bowl games? did Florida beat unranked Michigan? oops...

GSG... sorry about your Illineye having to be sacrificial lambs for the boys from Troy...

I don't "root" for either of these teams, but I'm thinking right now... in this our day and time, USC and Okla. are the two strongest teams... and if you believe the odds makers you'd think that as well... USC would be favored against the other 9 top 10 teams and OU would be favored against 8 of the 9...

Edited by Tom Strange

yeah... that attitude worked miracles for Arkansas yesterday didn't it? but Georgia did look good against the WAC's representative... has the SEC won any of their other bowl games? did Florida beat unranked Michigan? oops...

GSG... sorry about your Illineye having to be sacrificial lambs for the boys from Troy...

I don't "root" for either of these teams, but I'm thinking right now... in this our day and time, USC and Okla. are the two strongest teams... and if you believe the odds makers you'd think that as well... USC would be favored against the other 9 top 10 teams and OU would be favored against 8 of the 9...

Ahem...... Arkansas and Florida are the only two SEC teams to have lost, actually. And, my prediction is they will remain the only two to have lost after the showdown in New Orleans.

My Dawgs kept Kevin Smith in the Dawg House in an incredible defensive game.

Bama Rolled Tide over Colorado

Auburn Tigers clawed their way over Clemson

Tennessee's Big Orange tamed the Badgers

Georgia's Dawgs leied Hawaii out flat

Kentucky clobbered Florida State

My two favorite teams are Mississippi State and whoever is playing Ole Miss (with apologies to Sudo) - After that it's any SEC team with Florida being the exception - I live down here and those fans are worse than any Ole Miss fan ever though of being. Can't stand the school, the team and especially the fans.

That being said.... I'm darn proud of our SEC teams and I'll be donning my Purple and Gold for LSU on Monday night!

I, too am sorry that the Illini didn't shock USC into submission. I was pulling hard for Zook - He's a good guy who got a bad rap from Florida (just one more reason to despise that team).

I was glued to The Winter Classic.

Sid "The Kid" Crosby and his Penguins took out the Sabres in a hard fought game that ended in a shootout.

70,000 fans braving 20 degree weather with the wind whipping snow in their faces.

That's dedication!! (or insanity---take your pick)

Well Danny, after watching USC (University of Spoiled Children) the last few games, including there trouncing of Illinois. I would say your LSU Tigers were fortunate to get in the national championship bowl game and equally fortunate to not have to play USC. But then I am a Cal Bears fan and my team won versus the Air Force Academy.

Edited by Mark Sanguinetti

Hey it's the BCS system.

Will i hear after we beat the buckeys

we should share the title with USC?

That would be 6-2 SEC

Go UWV

The should give the Head Job to the intrim guy.

Go and whin someplace else GO TIGERS

GO L S U

N cajun it's spelled LSEAUX

Edited by Danny

And we don't need a tile

just tell the boys from troy

to show up in death valley

and we will show them what

a real mascot looks like.

And where is Booty from from?

At least one of his brothers had enough

guts to play for LSU.

The BCS is broken. The Hookies will wax Kansas.

Just like what happens in Sugar Bowl.

Yea Yea yea

them poor boys over there should share the title

Who"s your daddy the old coach that couldn't keep his job

at Notre Dame and goes to SC can't keep that job now he call

the shots fro the ESPN.

If you can't coach join Herbstreet and tell lots of lies.

Edited by Danny

It's easy to have a chip on your shoulder as an LSU fan, especially regarding USC.

LSU won the BCS in 'aught three fair and square, but the media always calls them co-national champions with USC. Yet, the same media always refers to usc as national champions in '03 and somehow forget it was LSU that hoisted the crystal football that year.

Yes, LSU backed into to big game and are lucky to be there. Still, the betting houses favor the purple & gold, and so do I.

It's easy to say that USC or Georgia is playing the best football right now. But that doesn't make them eligible...you need a season for that. Most said LSU was playing the best ball last year...but that didn't make them eligible. LSU can't help it that USC played a comparatively patsy schedule or that they lost to mighty Stanford. Nobody played even remotely as tough a schedule as LSU. Note how many games were played against teams who were top 10 at the time. Nobody else was even close, not even in the SEC.

And yes, the bowl system stinks. Who didn't know that the Hawaii-Georgia game wasn't going to be ugly and boring? The Rose Bowl pinheads should have matched Georgia to USC. Now that would have been the other great game to watch. And VATech should be matched against Oklahoma. The bowl wonks are killing their own golden goose by setting up boring blowouts. If all were right with the world this year would see 3 fantastic pairings:

LSU vs. O-Hi-Ya State (okay, so they got one right)

US vs. Georgia

Va Tech vs. Oklahoma

Then, if you want fun, pair Hawaii and Kansas; or Hawaii vs. the Red Raiders. (Hawaii still gets beat down in both cases but at least they could play a bit)

Should someone tell Papa Joe and fat man

Bowden ole people retire gracefully?

You let Mich come in your back yrad and spank you.

It was good for Carr to go out with a bang though.

And ole WVA beating them Sonners with out a lying head coach.

I need one of those one way contracts. I hope WVA gets all 4 million back.

good idea Evan... Hawaii and Texas Tech... there probably would've been about 2000 yards in total offense!

Dang! WVU sure surprised me last night... or I guess it would better be stated that Oklahoma surprised me by not really showing up in Janurary ...again!

With all apologies to sweetniKa, those OU boys seem to get caught up in all of their hype...

West Virginia was v e r y impressive...

As to LSU... weren't their two losses by 3 points each in a gozillion overtimes? I just hope it's a good game... IIRC, the buckeyes forgot to play last year against Florida...

Well, Evan, my parents have choice season tickets / box seats to all the MSU events so consider yourself still having a standing invitation to come experience the SEC with the Dawgs. :) And, yes, Croom is wonderful!

Of course, my preference is the BBQ in Left Field Lounge while we heckle the outfielders and watch Ron Polk's Diamond Dawgs dominate. Football is secondary to Baseball in this gal's heart of hearts.

I don't like the BCS either and can not, for the life of me, figure out why on earth they made the match ups they did for so many games. I think they try to keep LSU from playing USC cause then it would shut them up and they could no longer claim USC is better than LSU.

Geaux Tigers!!

Edited by Belle

Danny,

It's my understanding that right after the win last night, WVU called a press conference for today... to announce they were giving the head coaching position to the interim guy.

I wish him well... WVU's head coach walked away right before their bowl game, and sat in the stands watching his new team play their bowl game a few days ago, and this guy still got those boys to focus and win a game they weren't expected to win??? My hat's off to him!!

THW

PS-- Belle, I'm SO jealous!!

Edited by TheHighWay

That's nice that they "removed the interim"... I thought I'd heard last night that he was the designer of their offense... and had even recruited Stoops' brothers (although I don't think they went to WVU)... WVU was prepared, focused and motivated. OU was not.

TheHighWay, are you related to Mr. Hammeroni? ...you two kind of resemble each other...

What do we have tonight? KU and VT in the Orange Bowl?

Well that is just cajun talk saying that USC played a patsy schedule. They are in the Pac 10 and that is a very competitive conference. The Pac-10 bowl game record for this year was 4-2. That might put them second to the SEC conference as far as a bowl game record. However, LSU would still have to beat Ohio State for this to be the case. Otherwise the two conferences might have about the same as far as percentage of bowl game victories. And over the course of the entire season comparing the out of conference records of the Pac 10 and SEC. The Pac 10 has a good record also. So again saying that USC played a patsy schedule is just cajun talk with no relationship to actual on field performance when compared to the other conferences.

I just compared the SEC out of conference won lost record with the PAC 10. I must admit the SEC record was a very impressive 47 wins versus 11 losses. The PAC 10 record for out of conference however was a very respectable 25 wins versus 12 losses.

Not patsy...comparatively patsy.

LSU played (at the time of the game) #9, 12, 9, 17, 18, 17 (loss 3ot) & 14. Besides those, it played 3 SEC teams (Miss State, Ole Miss and Arkansas [loss in 3ot]) and two lesser conference 'patsys' (Middle Tenn. and Tulane).

USC played #14, 5 (loss), 24 & 6. Besides those it played Ida., Wash St., Wash., Stan. (loss), Az, ND, O State & UCLA.

Not a bad schedule USC played (4 ranked teams), but weaker than LSU's (7 ranked teams).

I will aver that USC was playing as well as anybody by the end of the season. Too bad they didn't get paired with Georgia.

No PAC 10 team played a patsy schedule. The Pac 10 is a very competive and difficult schedule with PAC 10 teams losing to conference opponents while they were highly ranked, but not losing to out of conference opponents while they were highly ranked. A case could be made that the Pac 10 teams knocked themselves out of higher rankings. A number of Pac 10 teams lost to Pac 10 rivals while they ranked in the top 10 or top 5. For example, USC, Cal, Oregon and Arizona State. All were ranked in the top 10, but lost conference games which brought them down in the rankings. LSU on the other hand did lose a couple of conference games also, but won a number of games by just a few points or with last second victories. You could say they were good under pressure or lucky or both. But we will see how they do against Ohio State. I think Ohio State can beat them. Any Buckeye fans here to tell us how good your team is? We have had enough ranting cajun talk. Now let's hear some Buckeye bravada.