GreaseSpot Cafe

How many Scripture verses did you black out?

brideofjc

I remember all too well, how excited I was to finally be able to purchase my very first KJV Bible with REAL kid leather at the

BRC at the Bible Table. I think back then it was a whopping $60.00, (now I know they had a huge mark-up on it as well).

You know...I still have it. I once in anger was going to delightfully rip each and every page out of it (I already had a new one anyway) and burn it, but

the Holy Spirit wouldn't let me. Today, I'm kind of glad He wouldn't let me. I use it today now to compare the blatant errors in all of the notes that I

so diligently wrote down in the margins.

I also look at the destruction or the deconstruction of the Word of God (TWI did it blatantly and with full knowledge) (I did it ignorantly not understanding

how I was being led) as TWI breezily declared this verse was a FORGERY and this word was ADDED. The sum total of which...we were

ARROGANTLY instructed to do what?

SCRATCH IT OUT!

Today, I look at the TOTAL INSANITY hidden behind those actions and those instructions. Are there some pis s poor translational moments? Yes.

Are there some really sloppy exegetical additions? Yes. Are there deliberate instances of eisegesis? A definite yes. And yet...

Even now, after learning how to translate the Greek Scriptures into the host language, that being English....I do not totally BLACK OUT the verse, but

I lightly draw a line through the word or phrase that was poorly translated and then I write next to it, what the Greek phrase is, in Greek and then the English

translation. Or if a Greek word should have been rendered as 'subjunctive' and the KJV rendered it as an 'indicative', I show my supportive documentation of

why the KJV translators chose the wrong mood.

When the Holy Spirit began moving upon me to deal with MY ARROGANCE in following those INSANE instructions, I've had to repent several times and

deep within my SOUL, I've had to face the fact that I also deconstructed the WORD OF GOD. As I said, I still have that Bible and I use it now as a teaching

tool for myself and for others if the opportunity arises. VP contaminated so many young and eager-to-learn minds believing that we were being given

BREAD, but really he was feeding us SCORPIONS, and breathing onto us HIS SPIRIT of total ARROGANCY AND REBELLION towards GOD HIMSELF.

So after all of that...do any of you still have your BRC purchased KJV Bibles? Have any of you had to repent for allowing yourself to be blindly led?

I do still have my Bible, given me by my husband on our WOW year in 1986. It's a treasure that is, indeed, all marked up, worn looking and precious to me.

I have not had any inclinations to rid my life of it, probably because of some childhood instruction on ones care of the Holy Bible, as well as the memories it holds, the dates listed in it, ie: my baby's births, husbands death, quotes from good people or events recorded that I somehow need to look at from time to time.

This same Bible was also used by Professors in three psychology classes at Baker College where I was a student. It was intriguing to "study" it, the notes and the added pages for classes, etc. It spoke to psych students and offered great peeks into manipulation and where one's journey might let them wander.

I hope my children will enjoy the sad looking beaten up thing as well. I don't imagine anyone else (other than psycho cology students) finding profit in study from it, but it sure holds some interesting stories of me and who I am.

I do admit, however, to not having any interest in it for the first 3-4 years after I said goodbye to TWI. It sat in a box, albeit nestled in silk, and I'd look at the box from time to time.

Now, ten years later, it's still out for my enjoyment and heart memories and for my girls to wander through once in awhile when we speak of daddy or where life has taken us.

We're all so unique in our lives, I love that!

Edited by Shellon

i think what hurt the most in the end was my bible,after a few years after i left twi i got it out and blew off

the dust,tried to get into a simple local church and the spiritual warfare would just go thru the roof,constant

battle!

My therapist held on to it for me because it was driving me crazy,like a road map with WTF directions .

One day and we had been thru hell and back (my therapist and i)I wanted my bible back and she said are you

sure about that?..................................long silence. yes

So i just held it quietly,then slowly flipped thru pages,all the markings standing in hilights like scars,and i

said "this is the word of God"and ripped it to shreads.papers flying EVERYWHERE,I couldn't stop,couldn't hear,

think and broke something glass ,then cut my wrist,so she is on the phone to get the ambulance pronto,while

in my head i am thinking of jumping out a window,(whew,what a day)

So the story gets longer but that is what happened because i had a hard time expressing anger,i let it build

up til it exploded ,i am just glad it wasn't a gun to my head.

I have a new bible now.

i think what hurt the most in the end was my bible,after a few years after i left twi i got it out and blew off

the dust,tried to get into a simple local church and the spiritual warfare would just go thru the roof,constant

battle!

My therapist held on to it for me because it was driving me crazy,like a road map with WTF directions .

One day and we had been thru hell and back (my therapist and i)I wanted my bible back and she said are you

sure about that?..................................long silence. yes

So i just held it quietly,then slowly flipped thru pages,all the markings standing in hilights like scars,and i

said "this is the word of God"and ripped it to shreads.papers flying EVERYWHERE,I couldn't stop,couldn't hear,

think and broke something glass ,then cut my wrist,so she is on the phone to get the ambulance pronto,while

in my head i am thinking of jumping out a window,(whew,what a day)

So the story gets longer but that is what happened because i had a hard time expressing anger,i let it build

up til it exploded ,i am just glad it wasn't a gun to my head.

I have a new bible now.

Well, mine seems tame to all of that! Yet, for a long time there was bitterness about the loss of years that I spent directly in TWI and then the same amount of years in an offshoot. But the Lord is faithful and I'm sure He can even take all of these bad experiences and use them for His glory somewhere down the road.

I always used the line-out method for passages that were added, but for better translations I often used marginal notes. Sometimes I used white-out.

But before any of this I'd always try to check Young's Concordance or my Greek Interlinear. If there was no backup for what I was taught I'd hold off altering my KJV and do it with a marginal note WITH A QUESTION MARK. I wouldn't try to witness (especially to churchy people) the alteration until it was verified.

I'd be very interested in knowing how many people went through any verification process before inking or teaching these things. A large part of the idol worship of VPW went along these lines: accept what he said without verification. I had already been duped by several hippie mystics by the time I got in, so I had to verify everything. It slowed me down at times, and I sometimes envied those grads who jumped on board right away. Now I see that they are quite disappointed.

I was like Oak, I never scratched things out so I could no longer read them. My bible was a gift from a dear friend. It sits in a place of prominance on its own stand in my bedroom and I use it often. For the most part I ignore the colorful notes in the margins in part because they were written with younger eyes and my aging ones find the words difficult to make out.

I have all three of the bibles that saw me throught my time in twi and all three were gifts. They are all well cared for like any other book in my house. I suppose if some phsyc class wanted to study my margin filled bible they would be welcome to do so but for me I still use the darn thing for my own study. The way that I view it today has changed from what twi taught me, but it is still a valuable tool and I treat it with respect.

I remember all too well, how excited I was to finally be able to purchase my very first KJV Bible with REAL kid leather at the

BRC at the Bible Table. I think back then it was a whopping $60.00, (now I know they had a huge mark-up on it as well).

You know...I still have it. I once in anger was going to delightfully rip each and every page out of it (I already had a new one anyway) and burn it, but

the Holy Spirit wouldn't let me. Today, I'm kind of glad He wouldn't let me. I use it today now to compare the blatant errors in all of the notes that I

so diligently wrote down in the margins.

I also look at the destruction or the deconstruction of the Word of God (TWI did it blatantly and with full knowledge) (I did it ignorantly not understanding

how I was being led) as TWI breezily declared this verse was a FORGERY and this word was ADDED. The sum total of which...we were

ARROGANTLY instructed to do what?

SCRATCH IT OUT!

Today, I look at the TOTAL INSANITY hidden behind those actions and those instructions. Are there some pis s poor translational moments? Yes.

Are there some really sloppy exegetical additions? Yes. Are there deliberate instances of eisegesis? A definite yes. And yet...

Even now, after learning how to translate the Greek Scriptures into the host language, that being English....I do not totally BLACK OUT the verse, but

I lightly draw a line through the word or phrase that was poorly translated and then I write next to it, what the Greek phrase is, in Greek and then the English

translation. Or if a Greek word should have been rendered as 'subjunctive' and the KJV rendered it as an 'indicative', I show my supportive documentation of

why the KJV translators chose the wrong mood.

When the Holy Spirit began moving upon me to deal with MY ARROGANCE in following those INSANE instructions, I've had to repent several times and

deep within my SOUL, I've had to face the fact that I also deconstructed the WORD OF GOD. As I said, I still have that Bible and I use it now as a teaching

tool for myself and for others if the opportunity arises. VP contaminated so many young and eager-to-learn minds believing that we were being given

BREAD, but really he was feeding us SCORPIONS, and breathing onto us HIS SPIRIT of total ARROGANCY AND REBELLION towards GOD HIMSELF.

So after all of that...do any of you still have your BRC purchased KJV Bibles? Have any of you had to repent for allowing yourself to be blindly led?

Yes, I sure do have my old KJV bible. And I am just like a few of the others on this thread. It took me several years before I could even pick it up and read it. I have got a bunch of notes in the margin, marked out some of the italicized words etc.

Slowly I began to study again but I still would not get involved with other organizations. I mostly tried to hang back and observe everything and see how it all matched up to what I thought I knew. Over time (approximately 25 years) A lot of what I learned at PFAL was valid. And thanks to sites like GSC, CES and STF I am still learning. I am not afraid or bitter. I cannot say that wholesale markouts in my KJV was the wisest thing to do but when I bought my first NIV bible and compared the two of them it really through me for a loop. I guess in essence they have done the same thing and it seems to be cool with most folks. Whatever I read, hear or see I try to compare it to what I understand of the Word. Does it truly reflect the love of God. I still have trouble with words like church and religion because of the connotation that most people read into it. I am currently attending a local Christian denomination and even though I struggle a bit with it I really love the people there and as a whole they are very loving bunch. Just like TWI, which I now believe that I was there for purpose. The KJV or the NIV and whatever they come up with next, hopefully I will use it for their attended purpose. As a side note...if you want to see where someone has really went over the line look at one of the Slayer heavy metal band CD covers. I had one of my guitar students show it to me. It will make you cringe.

I still have all my TWI Bibles, but I dont read them very often. If i do they are more in the mode of Shellon in that it reminds me of who I was and what I was doing way back then more than reading it for the content. I do like looking at old Bibles occasionally that arent mine that have various things underlined or notes. They give some insight into the person that once made those marks.

I didnt touch mine for about ten years as i found that I when I opened them i was rarely ever actually clearly reading 'the bible' but moreso hearing echoes and arguments of old way teachings and opinions.

If I have an inclination to read a Bible now I read my grandfathers which was left to me. It was well read but clean as a whistle. It is much easier to read what is actually written when all the clutter and distractions are removed.

Its one of those books that needs no help from me or anyone else to speak for itself