GreaseSpot Cafe

What movie is this?

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A stranger brings a timely gift to a young couple; but with a horrible catch that puts them in a moral dilemma. They make their choice staring a chain of events that radically affects their lives and redefines reality itself.

Actually, JB's clue wasn't really cryptic at all, for this movie. I haven't even seen "The Box" (a fairly recent movie), but I knew the plotline: a couple gets a box with a button on it. Push the button and you get a million dollars, but someone you don't know dies. (Maybe it's a kid, maybe it's someone on his deathbed. Maybe it's a horrible felon, maybe it's the President -- oops--no difference ;) ) Maybe you're the person who dies when someone else gets the box. I don't know how the movie ends.

The problem is, this clue was pretty much a straightforward description of the plot. Trefor's clues tend to be pretty straightforward, also,except that he uses a lot of big words to obfuscate it a bit. That's really not the thrust of this thread. Look at the first post. A woman in a new location kills the first person she comes across, then teams with three strangers to kill again. Dorothy's "killing spree" isn't really what "The Wisard of Oz" is about, but it IS what happens. No clue about wizards or witches or winding roads. I tried to do this with my "Patton" clue. Not about his winning warfare, just his inability to keep his mouth shut.

I'm going to re-tread one I did a couple of years ago (because I'm out of fresh ideas). Assuming you haven't read all my posts in this thread, try this:

A domestic servant starts a riot and gets her boss fired.

George

I was watching the extras to my new 70th anniversary Blu Ray edition of Gone with the Windand it mentioned that Jane Darwell who played Mrs Merriweather had made her final screen appearance as the Bird Woman in Mary Poppins.

The plot would work in that Mary Poppins had sung to Jane and Michael Banks about her in the song Feed the Birds and they had tuppence which the old Banker was trying to get from them when they would rather have fed the birds with it. He sings them a song about banking then grabs the money. The children scream that they want their money which is overheard by other people in the bank and this causes a run on the bank with everyone screaming for their money, thinking that the bank must be going under. Their father works for the bank and is dismissed because of the actions of his children and the result it caused.

I'm not sure that a Nanny is quite the same as a domestic servant (and indeed they were more "upstairs" than "downstairs") but it's the best thing I could come up with.

Am I right or just kite flying? :doh:

Can I jump in and give Trefor time to think of something?

The work of a talented creative writer wins the praise of his peers, but his less imaginative supervisor ends up being less than amused.

Edited by Raf

Can I jump in and give Trefor time to think of something?

The work of a talented creative writer wins the praise of his peers, but his less imaginative supervisor ends up being less than amused.

I hope it's not "The Story of Raf"! :lol:

I have a feeling Trefor won't mind. It's hard to come up with these things.

George

• 3 weeks later...

I'm awake! Let's try another hint. It was a well-received movie, but about as popular with the general public as Traxx. Its claim to fame is that it proved an awful actor actually could act, with the right lines and the right director...

The least popular guy at work destroys the career of his star employee, and others at the job end up loving him for it.

Not Office Space.

I guess it was too obscure.

The movie is called Shattered Glass. It's about a journalist named Stephen Glass who worked at the New Republic in the 1990s. He was really popular, really well regarded. Then his editor, the respected newsman Michael Kelly, was summarily fired, replaced by Chuck Lane, who was not as well-liked by the staff. Still, Glass continued to write engaging, well-read pieces... until he wrote one that caught the attention of a competing news organization. Their investigation turned up some questions about Glass' credibility, and Lane (the oh-so-hated Lane) pursued an internal investigation that determined Glass had fabricated, in whole or in part, more than 30 stories, give or take. Glass is now a pariah in the journalism business.

Hayden Christensen, best known as Darth Vader when he was made of wood instead of metal, played Glass. He was VERY good.

Sorry for the lengthy delay in replies.

Edited by Raf