GreaseSpot Cafe

My turn to brag :)

rascal

congrat%20to%20stephen.jpg

It requires years of hard work, dedication, and perseverance to attain the rank of Sho Dan. It is a milestone in a person’s life, one remembered, and well deserved. A black belt is not what one wears, rather a Black Belt is what one becomes.

Congratulations Stephen!

My son Stephen (18) has recieved his black belt in Karate this week.

This is in a traditional Japanese style that is not easy to master.

It has taken him 6 1/2 years of hard work to reach this mile stone. One of my favorite quotes is...

*A black belt isn`t something that you earn, it is something that you become*

It isn`t about physical ability...lots of people have that... it is about something that you develop inside. Perseverance, determination, honesty, integrity...heck just good moral character in general, you know?

This is the boy, that after the first 6 months, the instructor asked me if there were some kind of learning disabilities that he needed to be aware of.. :blink: ...(ie theres something wrong with that boy)...lol

This is a kid that suffered set backs and in my opinion, extremely unfair treatment at times....but he sucked it up, persevered even when it wasn`t fun, when it wasn`t easy and achieved his goal in spite of the difficulty and numerous obsticals.

I am so proud of his accomplishment.

That`s one kid down, 6 more to go :)

Thank you for letting me share my joy.

Edited by rascal

hearty congratulations, stephen!!...........and you too mom!............i only made it as far as brown belt, with one black stripe......in our system, there were 3 black stripes on your brown belt needed before you could test for your black.....3 brown stripes on your green belt before you could test for brown........took me 4 & 1/2 years to get that far, and that was 20 years ago!..........6 & 1/2 years represents over a third of your life.....that represents a whole heckuva lot of good life lessons learned, earned, and become!!

thanks for posting that great pic, rascal!.........what a crew!..........the family that trains together..........................love that pic!.........................peace.

wilcox07-1.jpg

The Family that Zanshin's together, funcsheen's together!" :P

What a good looking crew you have there! Congrats to Stephen!!

Dedicated kids seem to be rare (these days). Good for him for sticking with it!

Looks like we'll have 6 more *congrats* to send in a few more years, eh?? ;)

Rascal and Stephen,

Hearty congrats! Way to go! Nathan and I are so proud of you. Was good "seeing" all you again in the picture. We're looking forward to our next visit to the "farmhouse".

Here's a critter from your creek - looks like he can kick, too!

95101.jpg

PurpleDays (aka Suda)

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted to thank you guys for all of your kind words and encouragement.

Daughter Abby, (the next in line below Stephen) in the pic has since begun her testing. She has an extensive written exam that takes weeks (50 questions that require several paragraghs each to answer) lot of thought provoking things to consider, to be followed by a practical exam, endurance, techniques etc.... and then she tests before the board of black belts for our federation (in oct)

The whole process takes about 6 months :)

We had a big demonstration at the town square yesterday where we featured in weapons, self defense, kata, and board breaking.

Lot if fun, The kids did *what if* scenarios showing how to defend themselves in different situations. People laughed uproariously as my 10 yr old little cutie took out the *bad guy* after her big brother Stevie (6` 180 lbs) threw his hands up screamed like a girl and ran in the other direction when confronted by the knife wielding robber demanding their cash :)

Edited by rascal

Congrats to Steven and all the gang, but I got a question how come the turtle is only a green belt. Looks like he has the whole karate kid post kicking down pretty good. :biglaugh:

P.S. Rascal you sure have a nice looking crew of children!

Hey 6 and a half years of work is very admirable. I have heard from a couple of different guys that many times schools will hand out belts like candy, because people want to go up in rank, and there are very few good karate/judo schools that actually require the work. So when you hear someone brag that they got there black belt in a year and a half or whatever, it's all show and no work. Sounds like your son worked hard for his rank! Congrats! How cool. !