GreaseSpot Cafe

Dating in WTI... what an experience.

fooledagainII

Ever tried to explain your lifestyle to someone that wasn't part of the WTI? Back in day (mid 80s), boy meets girl... girl ask something like 'what you doing tonight?'...you try to explain, leaving work early to pick up your 'way home' roommates, then help with the cleaning of a rented hall, lining up chairs, etc.. for a meeting the next day. Worse try to explain it to your boss.

I remember the strange looks I would get when they discover one of those "s.i.t." signs in my home or car or whatever they happen to be displayed. They never asked about them, they just looked. Some things they did ask about (especially if you lived in a mixed men and women way home), like... "who these people?" (Alright, I'll admit I thought back then... open door to witness).

Surprisingly, more than a few hung around and took the class (and then disappeared once the relationship ended) but I like to focus on those who must still think to this day, that they could do better.

Ah... the many questions they had. Not so much the stuff that related to the bible but more on their concepts what is abnormal and how close I fit it. Like: 'you're grown and you have to be in by midnight?'; 'you're going to where for a week?'; 'what a grad night?'; 'how come you just don't go to regular church?'; 'did I hear your roommate say something about going to rock?'; etc.

Although it was nice to date fellow 'believers', after two dates it seem you were in a relationship along free advice from anyone who ever wanted to put their two cents in. {Side note: I remember a good buddy of mind that was about get married, while he was away at AC, one of the BC's told his bride to be that he wasn't ready... when came back, she broke it off. I still feel sorry for him.}

yeah, explaining twi to anyone is a chore... sometimes i use the phrase "more than church but less than heaven's gate"

oh, i used a s.i.t. keychain as a child, but everyone just thought it ment sit and joked about how hyper i must have been.

I haven't been on the dating scene since Pluto was a pup but I still remember what a weird trip it was.

In Fellow Laborers, we weren't allowed to date anyone outside the program.

Not like there was actually much time to do so anyway.

And heck, we lived in a stinkin' commune in the middle of Podunk, USA.

One of the guys had a secret girlfriend from one of the twigs in the big city 20 miles away that he snuck out to see a couple times during open time slots on the weekend. Now, these are grown adults in our mid 20's I'm talking about. One Saturday night he didn't make it back by midnight curfew and his cover was blown. He and all his belongings were tossed out and ordered to leave the state before sunrise. What a wacky life we led.

Since I never had a roommate, I didn't have half the problems you mentioned. I dated a lot of women, in and out of TWI. As you mentioned, some took the class and then disappeared when we quit dating. I met my wife at a branch function.*

George

*We got tossed out of TWI less than a month after we got engaged!

I remember once meeting a girl downtown and after talking with her deciding to meet the next day at the local mall. Everything was fine, we were getting alone well. She mentioned that she broke up with last boyfriend because he was cheating on her and this was a big, big issue with her. She didn't like "players".

It was about ten minutes while walking through the mall when I ran into a female believer. As the custom was back then, she greeted me with a friendly way hug. No big deal, but as when continue to walk through the mall, I ran into several female believers at several different times all greeting me with hugs.

At one point, this nice girl for downtown said "Look, I'm leaving now... don't bother calling me again!"

Edited by fooledagainII

How's this for an embarassing situation?

You're a female follower of der Vey... you are dating a nice guy who is not a part of der Vey.... he looks up your religion on line and tells you that the only reason you are dating him is to lure him into your cult with the promise of sex.

:redface2:

I was soooo offended... and embarassed BECAUSE I DIDN'T SLEEP AROUND - in fact, I didn't even know at the time that people actually DID THAT.

Oh, how niave and stupid I was back then.

Thank you greasespot... he read it here... :biglaugh:

hahahahahaa.......i had three military wow brothers,and i was the only female,guys i dated sure didn't understand

that one.here I lived with three guys an had to try to be home by midnight and could not have sex!

Since I never had a roommate, I didn't have half the problems you mentioned. I dated a lot of women, in and out of TWI. As you mentioned, some took the class and then disappeared when we quit dating. I met my wife at a branch function.*

George

*We got tossed out of TWI less than a month after we got engaged!

Wow. Sounds par for the course. In the Household that I was in, they kicked a guy out because his girlfriend moved in with him. Their logic was A) it was immoral, and B) he didn't discuss this with the Household Coordinator first. Meanwhile, the HC had another woman living with he and his wife, and was taking pains to hide this from the new people.