GreaseSpot Cafe

Any tips on saving $ on a car rental?

waterbuffalo

Hey,

Does anyone have advice for the best way to get a cheap car rental from the airport to be used only a couple - three hrs? I need to get one this Friday.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

wb

Geez, I don't know, this is really the toughest question I've looked at today...hmmm, maybe the space shuttle offers a discount? In three hours, you can be in Ohio, or maybe even having dinner with Dorothy in Kansas? :biglaugh:

Is that for real $128.00?

I just rented a midsize car for all of last weekend (Friday to Monday) from Enterprise for $59.00

There is a place (Zipcar) that does rent cars by the hour, but I have no idea of their rates or how it actually works. Ive seen the cars driving around with the Zipcar.com logo on them.

Maybe try them

Editted to include

ZIPCAR LINK

Edited by mstar1

I've run into something like that too for prices - over $100/day for a Chevy Cobalt or similar little death trap from rental companies in O'Hare International (Chicago) but found a rental company - ACE - that was a lot cheaper and had a free shuttle service to and from the airport. I checked PriceLine and about three or four other major travel meta deals but no luck... ACE was as good as it got at about $48/day.

All of the suggestions sound great. Once I fly in, I'll need to drive from the airport to another city about 2 hours away to meet my brother. He has a car that he'll let me borrow for that week so I won't need the rental car after that.

I'll check into everything suggested.

Is it because of the 4th being a holiday? I've never run into this before.

Thanks everyone, so much!

wb

Depends where -- I used to go to Phoenix every six weeks -- there and back in the same day--

Dollar rented me there little car for 29.00

It is the dropping it off in a different location that is giving you the steep price

Edited by washn'wear

Depends where -- I used to go to Phoenix every six weeks -- there and back in the same day--

Dollar rented me there little car for 29.00

It is the dropping it off in a different location that is giving you the steep price

ouch. yeah, that's what's probably doing it...have never checked into dropping off at another location/city b4.

Checked out the price for an Enterprise two miles from the airport and their price for 5 days for an economy car was $184. I though tthat was a great price considering the airport's price for the same time period was $375.

So, thanks Chas! this was for the last leg of the trip so I'd drop it back at the airport.

But, I may cancel the trip because of umpteen complications even though it is unrefundable.

The car rental business is having a tough time now, as is just about every trade that caters to the tourist market.

They're desperate to do any business at all, so I'd suggest doing a little comparative shopping, and then make the different companies fight for your business.

First get a quote from Brand X car rentals, then call up Brand Y and tell them what rate X is willing to give you and ask if they can beat that. Then call up Brand Z and tell them what Brand Y was willing to do for you and can they beat that.

Give that one or two goes around and you eventually will end up with about as cheap a rate as you're gonna get...