GreaseSpot Cafe

The WAG of Gustav

Raf

From a friend who is in Baton Rouge, and who the Holy Spirit had get all kinds of stuff prior to Katrina. He helped out his family and other friends, camped in a parking lot, with plenty of clean water for him and his family and friends. He is so terrific. I have whined about the winter here. . . and he remembers and calls Reno to have "nice fall weather."

Hello Kit,

Thank you for the email. We are OK so far. It is the calm before

the storm. God will be good and merciful as always.

It's the weak/infirm that need the most prayers. They are scared

and the heat/humidity really gets to them if the power goes out.

Have a 5kW generator at mom's--that can run a lot of things, incl.

her window AC.

People have sort of kept me busy working on their generators.

(They stored them from Katrina, without changing the oil, plugs,

etc. and now they are difficult start.)

Thanks for the prayers, and enjoy lovely Reno--nice fall weather

coming soon. Love ya all, and continue strong in the faith!

-cl

I trust our prayers have a big impact on this storm. (It's the people who are too poor to protect themselves who are hurt the most by these things.) Edited by Kit Sober

I'm writing to ask you to pause now to pray for the people of

the Gulf Coast--for a safe and successful evacuation. Pray for

those who lack resources to receive the help they need, and pray for

the storm to dissipate quickly.

Throughout the day we've watched the advance of Hurricane Gustav

across the Gulf of Mexico. Mayor Ray Nagin has ordered the mandatory

evacuation of the City of New Orleans and there is a warning for all

coastal areas from eastern Texas to the Florida state line.

It was just three years ago this week that the same region was hit by

Hurricane Rita first and then, the devastating storm known as Katrina.

I saw that devastation firsthand and I can only imagine the flashbacks

that some residents are having.

President Bush has already declared a state of emergency in Louisiana,

Mississippi and Alabama and he continues to monitor the situation.

Thus far, it's estimated that one million citizens have begun

evacuation and Gustav's winds are topping out at 135 mph as a

Category 4.

Thank you for your concern. As this storm advances, I urge you to

continue to lift the situation before God in prayer and let's

thank Him together for His answers.

Prayerfully yours,

Sincerely,

Prayerfully yours,

John Lind

President/CEO

The Presidential Prayer Team

It seems that the impact in LA will be less than predicted, especially in New Orleans. Hopefully, the folks who evacuated won't decide to ride out the next one.

As is usually the case for storms making landfall in LA, we're getting a nice day in Houston, with a pleasant northerly breeze. :) Gustav might be a big rainmaker for Dallas, though.

George

This from Rush Limbaugh's show today.

RUSH: ... Can I fill in the blanks here for you? The Drive-By Media will point out that the Republicans -- the rich Republicans in their private jets with their diamonds and their limousines -- are in St. Paul debating the continuation of tax cuts for the rich and the elimination of the death tax, and then they will cut to photos of Obama and Michelle laying sandbags in the French Quarter and passing out water bottles. If that model is correct, the media will, en masse, leave St. Paul. There will be no media left to cover the Republican convention. Do you know how many delegates there are in Denver? Roughly 4,000. You know how many credentialed Drive-Bys are there? Twenty thousand, five times the number of delegates. Ha! Of course, it's a long way out, and it's impossible this far out to tell where this thing going to go, but if that model holds steady and turns out to be right, you have been warned.

Good Gawd! The man is really losing it, isn't he? ... See folks, he is a classic example as to why narcotics are bad for your mind, and will waste your life.

:redface:

As long as the levees hold, it seems not so bad this time, though I haven't seen anything from the Houma area where it actually came in.

There is a lot of water sloshing over the levee in the industrial canal though ... that should subside in a few hours. This one is metal, some are earthen.

large_Gustav373.JPG

After Tropical Storm Fay did absolutely nothing the forecasters said it was going to do, I decided I would no longer name these threads after the "cones," but instead would call them WAGs, because these are, frankly, educated but wild-a-- guesses.

Raf, I disagreed with you at the time about Fay, but held my peace. It wasn't enough to say Fay's behavior was not forecast perfectly, that forecasters did not do their best job, or even that they did a poor job on Fay. I guess for emphasis we have to say they got nothing right, then multiply the emphasis with the word "aboslutely". Actually, when it was getting close to Florida's west coast, they were correct in saying that Fay would cross to the Atlantic shores, stall, and move back west across Florida. I know that wasn't the forecast at the start of fay's development, but yuu said "absolutely nothing"!

As far as Gustav, i think that was hanf\dled very well.

yes, I know, your WAG idea is all in fun!!!