GreaseSpot Cafe

I know there is a Hell!

cheranne

My understanding of the Toys R Us incident was that two women were arguing, and their significant others wound up shooting each other to death. Another example of "Peace on Earth, goodwill toward men."

What's next? "Naughty" boy takes out department-store Santa with a rocket launcher?

George

(someone shared this with me today)

Breakfast at McDonald's

This is a good story and is true, please read it all the way through until the end! (After the story, there are some very interesting facts!):

I am a mother of three (ages 14, 12, 3) and have recently completed my college degree.

The last class I had to take was Sociology.

The teacher was absolutely inspiring with the qualities that I wish every human being had been graced with.

Her last project of the term was called, 'Smile.'

The class was asked to go out and smile at three people and document their reactions.

I am a very friendly person and always smile at everyone and say hello anyway. So, I thought this would be a piece of cake,

literally.

Soon after we were assigned the project, my husband, youngest son, and I went out to McDonald's one crisp March morning.

It was just our way of sharing special playtime with our son.

We were standing in line, waiting to be served, when all of a sudden everyone around us began to back away, and then

even my husband did.

I did not move an inch... an overwhelming feeling of panic welled up inside of me as I turned to see why they had moved.

As I turned around I smelled a horrible 'dirty body' smell, and there standing behind me were two poor homeless men.

As I looked down at the short gentleman, close to me, he was 'smiling'

His beautiful sky blue eyes were full of God's Light as he searched for acceptance.

He said, 'Good day' as he counted the few coins he had been clutching.

The second man fumbled with his hands as he stood behind his friend. I realized the second man was mentally challenged and the blue-eyed gentleman was his salvation.

I held my tears as I stood there with them..

The young lady at the counter asked him what they wanted..

He said, 'Coffee is all Miss' because that was all they could afford. (If they wanted to sit in the restaurant and warm up, they had to buy something. He just wanted to be warm).

Then I really felt it - the compulsion was so great I almost reached out and embraced the little man with the blue eyes.

That is when I noticed all eyes in the

restaurant were set on me, judging

my every action..

I smiled and asked the young lady behind the counter to give me two more breakfast meals on a separate tray.

I then walked around the corner to the table that the men had chosen as a resting spot. I put the tray on the table and laid my hand on the blue-eyed gentleman's cold hand.

He looked up at me, with tears in his eyes, and said, 'Thank you.'

I leaned over, began to pat his hand and said, 'I did not do this for you. God is here working through me to give you hope.'

I started to cry as I walked away to join my husband and son. When I sat down my husband smiled at me and said, 'That is why God gave you to me, Honey, to give me hope..'

We held hands for a moment and at that time, we knew that only because of the Grace that we had been given were we able to give.

We are not church goers, but we are believers.

That day showed me the pure Light of God's sweet love.

I returned to college, on the last evening of class, with this story in hand.

I turned in 'my project' and the instructor read it.

Then she looked up at me and said, 'Can I share this?'

I slowly nodded as she got the attention of the class.

She began to read and that is when I knew that we as human beings and being part of God share this need to heal people and to be healed.

In my own way I had touched the people at McDonald's, my son,the instructor, and every soul that shared the classroom on the last night I spent as a college student.

I graduated with one of the biggest lessons I would ever learn:

UNCONDITIONAL ACCEPTANCE.

Much love and compassion is sent to each and every person who may read this and learn how to

LOVE PEOPLE AND USE THINGS -

NOT LOVE THING S AND USE PEOPLE.

Edited by cheranne

"Guess what? While I was buying something to celebrate the birth of our Savior, I trampled someone to death." :blink:

George

Everything about it is wrong.. how the junk is produced, how it jumps international borders without government's second thought.. how the warehouse workers are equipped with a set of headphones and constant voice continually coaching them to full production.. by a computer.. how the poor truck driver gets a bill for what was once the company's obligation to UNLOAD the junk.. how "workers" are forced to work off the clock, and for the most part, to work for dirt cheap wages and NO benefits when they are on.. not to mention our other near neighbors, with lost jobs and professions simply because they could not produce so much, so cheaply, and so quickly..

I just can't see.. buying dirt cheap, over-discounted junk for a loved one, something produced with souls and surroundings that resemble a scene in the lower depths of Dante's Inferno, stocked and sold by "associates", hustled and paid dirt cheap to give me the "deal"- for CHRISTMAS, for a loved one- I just can't do it anymore..

I don't see how people can flock for such a "deal" produced in such unethical and UNCHRISTIAN manners.. it's the cluelessness that really gets to me.. I thought we were supposed to love our neighbors.. as ourselves. It just seems.. as long as *they* keep the economy propped up.. and a chinese produced widget in every pot.. MOST don't care. I usually don't start these conversations with folks.. I do on forums at times.. people can just ignore me if they think I'm nuts.. but one person who ASKED- in REAL LIFE- I brought up the "love your neighbor" concept as regards to laborers in China.. their reply? "well.. they aren't CHRISTIAN are they?" The hypocrisy is over-whelming..

and we probably have one last incentive payment coming from our perhaps once glorious government..

the vast majority of it will go to..

7. Charities and Churches.. maybe a half of one percent or less..

6. Dollar Stores. For USELESS asian made trinkets..

5. assorted smaller chains such as Koles..

4. Chinese electronics from Best Buy, other big box stores..

3. Meijers

2. Target

1. EIGHTY FIVE to NINETY percent- walmart.. for USELESS junk.. or that WILL be junk inside of three to five years. They will be VERY HAPPY to cash a six hundred dollar check for you.. big enough, and they'll turn it into a wallymart-world debit card.

For once I agree with Friedman on something.. "let's not send it to China"..

What I plan on doing with it.. IF it comes..

catch up on a couple current bills..

buy a little food.. a couple bottles of wine..

horde the rest as long as I possibly can.. maybe put some of it in metal if possible..

:biglaugh:

Or maybe.. some in GM stock, when it hits twenty three or seventeen cents a share..

the government will prop it back up, I'm sure..

:biglaugh:

Well Ham it has gotten so deep that I suspect almost everything you have in your house is from another country. I am NOT AT ALL against other countries prospering, but in response to your post I thought about the origin of many common articles in my home.

Clothing? - check the tab - often made in Central America - of course your tennis shoes are made in China with prison labor

Computer? Not a one of them is actually made in US anymore - Dell uses China and Malaysia for assembly although the CPU be it Intel or AMD is fabbed in US - HP assembles theirs in Mexico and Taiwan. Just for the helluvit next time you have a dead computer - look at EVERY IC on the motherboard and tell me if even ONE of them does not say Taiwan, Malaysia, Korea, Mexico on it

Stereo components - no US companies make them any more

Television/computer displays - name one from US - even RCA outsourced to Chinese labor - the last US company to make displays in the US was Zenith and they were saved only because of a fed bail-out because the Pentagon declared CRT's as a strategic item that had to have a US source - and even they got bought out by a French company in the end

Ceramics? - heh made in USA - your toilet is USA.........

Furniture? - some USA components - usually assembled in Mexico or North Carolina

Detergents? mostly fabbed in USA because no human labor is involved

DVD's? - Sony now owns Hollywood - so even if they are fabbed here your money is going to Japan

Vehicles? Forget it - plenty of discussion about that in the auto bail-out thread

The only three things I use everyday that I am pretty sure are of complete US origin are water, electricity and natural gas...

because you would have added so much to what everyone was talking about and because you're great

Well thank you for the compliment - I didn't consider it really adding to Ham's post - just a few observations in my own home after reading his post.

...and I am by no means great...but thanks much anyway

I am painfully aware of the label on every item I purchase..

If it's a choice between china, and pakistan.. as bad as it sounds.. I think the article of clothing was produced in a SLIGHTLY more ethical environment than in pakistan..

the main objection I have for wally mart.. they OWN sweatshops in China. No, they just buy from an "enterprising" chinese industrialist trying to get on his feet..

they have moved some operations there.. from areas of very very little government enforced regulations, to areas in northern China where there are NO regulations..

yeah, people have to live.. and currently, practically the only game in town for clothing is produced overseas..

what I'm saying isn't "just buy american.." that isn't anywhere near practical.. what are you going to do? Pull out the brakes made in Beijing?

what I'm suggesting.. given a choice, between an ethically expensively made "widget".. and an inexpensive asian made widget.. if one can't afford the better.. DON'T BUY.

Or.. if the non-necessary for life widget is produced under harsh conditions.. just DON'T BUY it..

no cheap junk.. no dollar store plastic earrings for the kids.. twenty for a dollar..

No christmas tree ornaments made in Thailand.. or China..

as bad as it sounds.. I kinda agree with not telling kids there's a Santa Claus.. Santa's workshop and elves are in Beijing, or northern China, or other places as bad or worse.. and we are continents away, well insulated in our cozy homes..

it's like.. we're teaching kids that they are ENTITLED to plentiful, cheap "stuff"..

try telling a nine year old that Santa's evil and he's not going to see the wii this Christmas..

it's a psychological problem of our own making.. in my opinion.

I'll go along with the gag to some degree.. if I really have to for one reason or another. But I refuse to buy oodles of JUNK..

it's discretionary spending.. people driven to buy just because it's CHEAP.

Ham I was in NO WAY trying to refute your post nor question your ethics (please don't bust me on the double negative) - I simply read your post and decided to mentally inventory what I owned. The result was a tad surprising to me.

Thanks for your input.

ummmm Rum. I don't know what toilet you have, or how old it is. BUT

American Standard toilet ceramic is from Mexico and Canada. Kohler has factories in the US, but also in China, Mexico and a few other places. All I am saying is you might not be the king of a USA throne afterall.

~HAP

Union Sundown

Bob Dylan

Well, my shoes, they come from Singapore,

My flashlight's from Taiwan,

My tablecloth's from Malaysia,

My belt buckle's from the Amazon.

You know, this shirt I wear comes from the Philippines

And the car I drive is a Chevrolet,

It was put together down in Argentina

By a guy makin' thirty cents a day.

Well, it's sundown on the union

And what's made in the U.S.A.

Sure was a good idea

'Til greed got in the way.

Well, this silk dress is from Hong Kong

And the pearls are from Japan.

Well, the dog collar's from India

And the flower pot's from Pakistan.

All the furniture, it says "Made in Brazil"

Where a woman, she slaved for sure

Bringin' home thirty cents a day to a family of twelve,

You know, that's a lot of money to her.

Sure was a good idea

Well, you know, lots of people complainin' that there is no work.

I say, "Why you say that for

When nothin' you got is U.S.-made?"

They don't make nothin' here no more,

You know, capitalism is above the law.

It say, "It don't count 'less it sells."

When it costs too much to build it at home

You just build it cheaper someplace else.

Sure was a good idea

Well, the job that you used to have,

They gave it to somebody down in El Salvador.

The unions are big business, friend,

And they're goin' out like a dinosaur.

They used to grow food in Kansas

Now they want to grow it on the moon and eat it raw.

I can see the day coming when even your home garden

Is gonna be against the law.

Sure was a good idea

Democracy don't rule the world,

You'd better get that in your head.

This world is ruled by violence

But I guess that's better left unsaid.

From Broadway to the Milky Way,

That's a lot of territory indeed

And a man's gonna do what he has to do

When he's got a hungry mouth to feed.

Sure was a good idea

I generally dont buy crap for Christmas, Im not a good 'consumer' I usually go on strike each year until I figure out something that works for me

There are alternatives , I havent done a 'consumer type Christmas" in probably two decades, it usually takes me awhile each year to figure out what to do-

This year the family is pooling together the money we would have spent and buying animals through Heifer.org.

Its a good program, for a few hundred you can buy heifers , llamas, goats, some chickens or whatever you want--that are then given to a poor family in some starving part of the world. They use the animals to milk, make cheese, yogurt, eggs, whatever that animal does-so the people dont starve-then when the animals reproduce they agree to pass on the offspring to other families, who then also agree to pass on the next offspring--

So its alittle tiny helping hand someplace that keeps going and helps out instead of a pile of useless crap that we dont need and breaks in a year anyway--just seems a little more in the spirit of christmas to me than trampling someone to death. Other than that we'll probably get together for a nice meal and read and talk some about the countries we sent stuff to

"American Made" by the Oak Ridge Boys:

Seems everything I buy these days

Has got a foreign name

From the kind of car I drive

To my video game

I got a NIKKON camera

A Sony color Tee Vee

But the one that I love is from the U.S.A.

And standing next to me.

My baby is American Made

Born and bred in the U.S.A.

From her silky long hair to her sexy long legs

My baby is American Made.

She looks good in her tight blue jeans

She bought in Mexico

And she loves wearing French perfume

Everywhere we go

But when it comes to the lovin' part

One thing is true

My baby's genuine U.S.A.

George

"American Made" by the Oak Ridge Boys:

Seems everything I buy these days

Has got a foreign name

From the kind of car I drive

To my video game

I got a NIKKON camera

A Sony color Tee Vee

But the one that I love is from the U.S.A.

And standing next to me.

My baby is American Made

Born and bred in the U.S.A.

From her silky long hair to her sexy long legs

My baby is American Made.

She looks good in her tight blue jeans

She bought in Mexico

And she loves wearing French perfume

Everywhere we go

But when it comes to the lovin' part

One thing is true

My baby's genuine U.S.A.

George

:offtopic: Speaking of The Oak Ridge Boys I must say I was impressed with them at the meet and greet they did for us at the gallery last week. They went table to table and shook everyone's hand took pictures and signed memorabilia. They made sure not one fan was missed. they were so busy with the fans that they did not have time to eat dinner. so we loaded it on the bus to eat on the way to the concert. It is a rarity in the music business to take time hours before a concert, unpaid ,to spend time with your fans.

I have found that I really try to consider each thing before I buy it... Do I really need this

Do I just want it

Why

and how well made is it.

also I am doing my own personal boycott of Chinese goods

some chinese worker was carying on on line about how many widgets did I a fat american need in my kitchen that he had to make...

I decided any widget I needed could come from some where else.

Not that I buy much anymore but still.. IT made me realize how much junk actually gets bought over here from the dollar stor etc, and how junky it is.. and why are we buying it??? Just because it is there??? just becasue some one else has one?

I went to the Santa House here with my sweetie's grandkids.. no, I didn't harass them with political or social correctness or anything.. but here we have a couple of kids.. loving parents, a community of support..

not only them, but dozens of families of attentive, loving parents, young children..

and I couldn't get the images out of my mind of kids on the other side of the world.. where parents literally sold them into slavery because they couldn't support them any longer..

what kind of a world are we really building..