GreaseSpot Cafe

The attack of the lice...

RumRunner

OK - any of you 8th remember the freakin' kerosene showers we took after the lice outbreak? Pouring kerosene on our hair and leaving our mattresses and bed stuff out in the cold over night because TWI refused to go with the standard treatment?

Come one folks - bring those memories back for us - smirk -

OK - any of you 8th remember the freakin' kerosene showers we took after the lice outbreak? Pouring kerosene on our hair and leaving our mattresses and bed stuff out in the cold over night because TWI refused to go with the standard treatment?

Come one folks - bring those memories back for us - smirk -

I have a feeling, you ain't making this up. The standard treatment I take it was what, standing outside naked in the winter til they froze to death and fell off, or are we talking about some kind of powder solution?

the "standard treatment" involves a LITTLE (gasp) MONEY..

chemicals.. designed to crush the life out of the said lice, and their eggs..

I am hoping the nightmares do not come back, with GSC, I am thinking maybe I have a 50 / 50 chance. This kerosene shower, kind of surprised me, I must not be there yet, with the surprises, here the lack of some common sense with VPW. I suppose those who would tell us that we were not victims would say, well the Corp did have a choice, there was a nice warm floor to sleep on.. Well, I do respect individuals like rumrunner, I am not so sure I would have been able to deal with this kind of discomfort, being more of a girlyman as Arnold S. would say...

I'm still trying to figure out why anyone needed a colon cleanse when flax seeds were in everything we ate. :rolleyes:

Waysider, now you know unless you chew those seeds up, you are only doing a partial cleanse...maybe the point was that, well, "perfectionism". That would appear to fit, goes along with all the bible quotes, the over the top and the beyond the top environment. I think with consideration to my life, oh, say, I did something maybe I shouldn't have in my past marriage, well, there were some other things that I did to "compensate" for those, rather than deal with the root issue...and maybe TWI was in that same category, overcompensating in areas for the moldy, rotting roots of the Tree so to speak...any thoughts on that?

Women, you could have been helpful here.

Quite a good way to get rid of head lice is to smother one's hair in conditioner and leave it in overnight (a bathcap might make this less messy on the pillow). Smothers the critters. Rinse the hair in the morning and you have nice hair, too.

Little cost because you'd already got the necessary in your toiletry bag.

Can't have been very nice for you all, though.

Somewhat off topic:

My kids caught lice in grade school and the standard shampoo stuff didn't get rid of them because some are now resistant. The school nurse told me to cover their hair in thick conditioner(the cholesterol kind) wrap them in saran wrap and a shower cap and keep it on for 8 hours too smother all the critters. Then a friend(not TWi) and I spent an entire morning removing eggs one by one with our fingers. It worked, it was cheap but not at all quick!

The kerosene decision sounds like a punishment for getting lice.

Twinky, I see you learned the same cheap trick!

Edited by Bramble

Kerosene was the standard procedure before they came out with the chemical treatment

and the chemical treatment usually takes several applications.. IT can get very expensive.

another smothering agent would be Mayonnaise the real kind not the light stuff.

Also way cheaper and more effective than the chemical stuff they sell.

Edited by leafytwiglet

least harmful and fastest way to remove lice I've found is put in hair conditioner, comb through with lice and nit combs, finger pick out all the eggs that are left, and run all sheets and pillows in the dryer on high. I repeated the combing at bedtime for 2 days just to make sure.

lice can't survive 24 hours without blood, so there isn't much to worry about with toys or hats if you just let them sit for a few days.

kerosene sounds dangerous. I wouldn't put it on my kids.

• Upvote 1

Never went in the corps, never had lice.

OTOH, the thread brings back some incredibly painful memories of the two times my daughter brought home a head full of lice while in grade school.

A huge screamfest/cryfest of stripping and laundering all the bedding, vacuuming all the rooms, twice, The Girl quarantened in the bathroom with stinky lice shampoo on her head and me combing and picking out the lice and nits. Truly, truly awful.

They used to shave the kids' heads, burning the bedding to get rid of any nits. Any kid who came to school with a raw, naked scalp was subject to ridicule. This was years and years ago.

Thank God we never had that problem, thought I remember being at some kind of fellowship where a little kid came and sat on my lap and kept scratching at his head. A friend was there, 2Life I think and kept giving me these strange looks. Afterward when I found out the reason for the scratching was this kid had LICE, I about died. I think I left my clothes outside and used about half a bottle of shampoo. Never did see any of the little creepy-crawlers, but felt itchy just the same.

WG