GreaseSpot Cafe

The truth 'bout hell

Studio fake?

I thought maybe like a windy day would have noise the heat may have been the sound. I never thought of the dead being alive much -- cause of the Way and all -- so to even think about damned souls screaming in Siberia was a new concept for me.

OOps I wrote to Dooj and posted when you did

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7And when he had opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth beast say, Come and see.

8And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

the 4th seal

who will come and see?

Here's another interesting site that I first became aware of through someone else's posting here.

http://www.realdevil.info/

I have not read the information in its entirety.

The portions that I have read are quite interesting.

This part, in particular, is enlightening.

http://www.realdevil.info/1-1.htm

Edited by waysider

The confusion comes largely from the fact that the word "hell" the in KJV can be the translation of one of three Greek words:

• g'henna, the lake of fire where the wicked will be destroyed
  • hades, the unconscious state of the dead to which everyone goes
  • tartaros, the pit where the wicked angels from Genesis 6 are imprisoned

I won't dispute that what you've got there is the biblical use (or at least one interpretation of a biblical use) of those words. But what I don't understand is if that's true, why did the biblical author use words to mean one thing, when the popular understanding of those words was something else? Hades was not an unconscious state of the dead, but a conscious place where the dead went after "life". It was an underworld ruled over by a god of the dead/underworld. Tartaros was a section of Hades, or below Hades where post-death puishment is meted out. (As opposed to the Elysian Fields, kind of like a pagan Roman paradise or heaven). Gehenna is a Greek rendering of a Hebrew word and concept.

The story of the hole t hell is not true

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/d/drilltohellfacts.htm

According to this site and they list their extensive search to track people down to prove it. The sounds on the recording don't sound real... and I personally don't get that building of fear you get when you hear a recording of an actual person in distress. But that is just me... I find it telling that he(Rev. Dollar) doesn't share hardly any bible verses at all it is anecdotal at best. THough interesting and entertaining.

Dang I wish the internet had been available to me when I was so young and foolish.

Edited by leafytwiglet

It was a kind of facetious response to this:

"Ignore religion, and you can enjoy your short existence. Buy into religion, and you wast precious time. . ."

Ie., on the one hand, you ignore religion and you you have a short existence (altho' enjoyed) to show for it, and take religion, and you 'waste precious time'.

Ie., a choice that seems to be a dead end either way you go from what it portrays.

Clear as mud? :biglaugh:

But some say that this "death" is just separation from the True God, not "death" as we define it located in the flesh realms. The fact that man's spirit died on the day they sinned, simply means that the connection point to God died. It doesn't mean that it ceased to be eternal. When we got born again, it was that connection point that got reestablished via the Holy Spirit.

That was what PFAL taught, but it doesn't fit with the Biblical usage of "death," "spirit," or "born again."

Ignore religion, and you can enjoy your short existence. Buy into religion, and you wast precious time. . .

Damned if you do, Damned if you don't.

On the other hand, believe the words of Jesus Christ, not what organized religion tells you he said, and it's not a waste of time.

Placing things, including hell, in the future as well as many other good things, at one's own will is foolish and misleading.

Depends on which "hell" you're referring to.

On the other hand, believe the words of Jesus Christ, not what organized religion tells you he said, and it's not a waste of time.

Uh, yeah, it is. Believing something does not make it true. It just means you believe it. I can't imagine an omniscient being giving out extra points for simply being credulous, or casting one into everlasting torment for exercizing a modicum of skepticism. Such a being could only be described as petty, I'd think...

I won't dispute that what you've got there is the biblical use (or at least one interpretation of a biblical use) of those words. But what I don't understand is if that's true, why did the biblical author use words to mean one thing, when the popular understanding of those words was something else? Hades was not an unconscious state of the dead, but a conscious place where the dead went after "life". It was an underworld ruled over by a god of the dead/underworld. Tartaros was a section of Hades, or below Hades where post-death puishment is meted out. (As opposed to the Elysian Fields, kind of like a pagan Roman paradise or heaven). Gehenna is a Greek rendering of a Hebrew word and concept.

Those are Greek ideas. But the writers of the New Testament were communicating Hebrew ideas. The word in Greek for the abode of the dead was hades, and it was used to translate the Hebrew word sheol in the Septuagint. The writers of the NT used the word hades because they were writing in Greek, but they used it in a different way. You have to examine how the word is used in the Scriptures to see the difference between the Hebrew idea of unconscious sleep and the Greek idea of a conscious abode.

F(ckin A'

Uh, yeah, it is. Believing something does not make it true. It just means you believe it. I can't imagine an omniscient being giving out extra points for simply being credulous, or casting one into everlasting torment for exercizing a modicum of skepticism. Such a being could only be described as petty, I'd think...

The point I have been making is that God doesn't cast anyone into everlasting torment. Everybody dies at least once. Those that accept His offer of salvation based on what Jesus did are resurrected and given the gift of life in the age to come. Those that reject His offer are raised to be judged and then have the second death which is final; they no longer exist. I agree that a being that would cast anyone into everlasting torment would be at least petty if not cruel.

I think it would be pretty weird of God -- who knows everything -- would not be able to place HELL --- if it is a place in the earth -- in a little better spot than where people would one day dig for oil - or science stuff. Ya know? Its not like we ever found paradise -- that was well guarded. So, I would imagine that some bumble heads could not dig into the gates of hell and hear millions screaming... Just the logic of it.

However, to think, for just a minute, that millions of people are screaming was kinda a ucky thing to hear... And got me wondering about "hell". Who goes to hell? Just the spirits that caused all the problems?

Edited by Dot Matrix

However, to think, for just a minute, that millions of people are screaming was kinda a ucky thing to hear...

Awwww come on - where's your sense of humor - The microphone gets lowered just in time for you to hear the devil saying to someone - "Well boy that's where ya really messed up. When you heard that voice telling you it would teach you the word like it hasn't been known since the first century...well that was MY voice. Thaaaat's Riiiiiiiight!!!" Then you hear dead drunk depraved Vic begin to scream...

Edited by RumRunner

the greeks knowledge of hell is in the definitions of words?

rather bland and lacking the experience

Dot,

What are the first 3 seals to you?

Granted, your mind may not be able to put into words what you see.

Not important, because those will indeed be seen and heard again,

from the fourth seal as well as the seven, yet with new eyes and ears.

And not that the 4th negates the three nor the 7th the first.

Odd that the writer's of the New Testament would use well known Greek words for well known concepts/beliefs, but mean something entirely different than the accepted use of the words. Seems like that would be horribly confusing to all the newbie gentile converts. Or maybe it was one of those'Christianize the pagan belief to win converts' deals.