GreaseSpot Cafe

Easy Movie Quotes

On 6/16/2009 at 11:12 AM, GeorgeStGeorge said:

In the vein of "Songs remembered from just one line" I thought I'd add one for films. The idea here is that a line from a film is so memorable that it immediately identifies the film. (In lieu of a single line, a short exchange between characters is acceptable.) The movie itself, of course,should be fairly well-known.

You authored this thread George, but I don't see this line "Non" from Silent Movie being very memorable (if it is)?  I mean, that's the key isn't it?  Your words, "a line from a film so memorable that it immediately identifies the film".  "Life is like a Box of Chocolates",  "You're going to need a bigger boat",  "I'll have what she's having", these are memorable lines.  I couldn't identify with "Non" very well.

14 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

You authored this thread George, but I don't see this line "Non" from Silent Movie being very memorable (if it is)?  I mean, that's the key isn't it?  Your words, "a line from a film so memorable that it immediately identifies the film".  "Life is like a Box of Chocolates",  "You're going to need a bigger boat",  "I'll have what she's having", these are memorable lines.  I couldn't identify with "Non" very well.

I could-  in a movie called "Silent Movie" where the movie is really silent, to have the only actual spoken word said by MARCEL MARCEAU (a silent movie actor known for silent roles, finally heard on-screen), ot tends to stay with me.  He was asked if he wanted to be in the movie, and turned them down. (Fourth wall moment, everyone?)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Raf said:

"Oh my God, the sun!"

"What is it?"

"A huge fiery ball at the center of our solar system, but that's not important right now. We're heading right for it!"

Can't be the first movie. However, the lunar shuttle went into space in "AIRPLANE-THE SEQUEL."

4 hours ago, WordWolf said:

I could-  in a movie called "Silent Movie" where the movie is really silent

Yeah but you would be one in a thousand knowing that.  Seems by definition here lately that EASY, isn't that easy is all I'm saying.

2 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

Yeah but you would be one in a thousand knowing that.  Seems by definition here lately that EASY, isn't that easy is all I'm saying.

Well, Raf knew it, WW knew it, and I knew it.  You didn't.  That makes three out of four, not one in a thousand.

I haven't immediately recognized some of the other quotes.   Some are going to be EASIER than others.  Had I just given the line ("Non."), it might have been more problematic, but the fact that I mentioned it was the only SPOKEN line in the movie made it obvious to some Mel Brooks fans.

George

For what it's worth: The clue gave it away for me. The quote did not.

And it took very, very little time.  So yeah, I agree with both you guys and if I had the energy to GAF I probably would raise more of a okay I've already bored myself. WordWolf, you're up!

On 8/23/2023 at 6:58 PM, Human without the bean said:

The Wizard of Oz

"I proved once and for all that the limb is mightier than the thumb"

I'll leave a hint now that it seems to have reached a dead end.  The clue is from an iconic Golden age Hollywood movie quoted by an iconic actor (careful, which is it actor or actress) spoken to another iconic Golden age actor.